The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did something mind bogglingly dumb. Not the first idiotic thing I've done (and surely not the last), but this one is truly worthy of your ridicule. I read LT daily, but don't post here very much. For some of you, this could be my introduction. Not the way I want to be remembered.

The problem is that it's Lotus related, and I need some quick advice on fixing it. So, I'm going to have to come clean. To help me out, please just post something dumb you've done to help me get past my lack of self respect. Help me laugh this off, and I'll post my situation in a day or so. Please don't wait to post, I can't drive my car until I fix it.

To put it in perspective. I think this is a $250 - $500ish mistake. Not the world's greatest tragedy, but still, you're going to laugh at me. Your boneheaded move doesn't have to be Lotus related. Just get me to the point where I can laugh at myself.

-Andy

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I did something mind bogglingly dumb. Not the first idiotic thing I've done (and surely not the last), but this one is truly worthy of your ridicule. I read LT daily, but don't post here very much. For some of you, this could be my introduction. Not the way I want to be remembered.

The problem is that it's Lotus related, and I need some quick advice on fixing it. So, I'm going to have to come clean. To help me out, please just post something dumb you've done to help me get past my lack of self respect. Help me laugh this off, and I'll post my situation in a day or so. Please don't wait to post, I can't drive my car until I fix it.

To put it in perspective. I think this is a $250 - $500ish mistake. Not the world's greatest tragedy, but still, you're going to laugh at me. Your boneheaded move doesn't have to be Lotus related. Just get me to the point where I can laugh at myself.

-Andy
You first!!!!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I was demonstrating to someone why not to brake hard with just the front brake on a bicycle. I was barely moving, but moving fast enough to go over the handlebars.

It was an excellent demonstration ;)

I think I was 15 or 16 at the time.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I lifted in turn 10 at VIR once! :no:

:D

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
This is a good one... happened about 20 years ago. It wasn't me. It was my boss.

The director of our group and a few employees were in Germany on business. They had a rental VW van. None of the people in the group had ever driven VWs before. They stopped to fill up but none of them knew where the fuel filler was. After looking around, they discovered a "cap" under the engine lid... didn't know what the word "Öel" meant.

The gas station attendant just sat back and watched as they pumped the crankcase full of Petrol... then he cracked up rotfl

I think that qualifed as a $200-$500 screwup.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I once did this unbelievable boneheaded move where I thought I was wrong. Turns out I was wrong about that!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I spent about $2000 rebuilding the motor in my fiat with lots of nice new bits. Pieced it together, and it ran beautifully.

Only one problem. Something that I forgot to do that I didnt notice until the first rain. I forgot to paint the engine block (because most of the engine was, and still is a nice shiny aluminum, and the block at the time was a nice shiny steel).

So long story short, now I have to drop the engine out of my car, de-rust the block, paint it, and reinstall. Not an expensive mistake, but an extremely time consuming agonizingly dumb one.:wallbang:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no matter what it was $200-500 is not likely...
You Sir, underestimate me... Unfortunately, I have the picture to prove it. If it were easy to figure out what I did from the picture, it would be epic FAIL material.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I found this site then purchased a used 2005 Lotus Elise. Decided the rear view mirror had to go. Tried to remove the mirror mount on the windshield. Since I had a few simply fall off in the past on old VW Rabbits and such, I thought I could remove the one from my new to me Elise.

WRONG, Epic Fail:wallbang:

I went to my personal junk yard to an 85 VW Golf and tried to remove the mirror mount with a putty knife and my heat gun. A little heat and a hit with the putty knife sent it to the floor:D

Tried the same technique on the Lotus: A little heat and the wind shield cracked in about three places-poke- About $900 later I still felt like an ass.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Well, looking back over your recent posts, it looks like you bought a jack-helper. Was it something to do with jacking your car?? :shrug:

Did you close the garage door on your car??

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I wired up my brand new dryer and forgot to put the cover plate (metal) on. So, rather than pull it out and...y'know unplug it... I leaned over the top, squeezed my hands inbetween the back of the dryer and the wall while trying to fish the cover over the 220 volt wires in the box. All the while, my brother stood there saying, "uh, let's pull the dryer out and unplug it." I shifted the plate, twisted it, stuck it inside the box, made contact and blew myself right off the dryer. The worst part: new dryers (and washers) have computers that don't like that sort of thing. Had to replace the whole circuit board.

Now tell us!

Tom

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I wired up my brand new dryer and forgot to put the cover plate (metal) on. So, rather than pull it out and...y'know unplug it... I leaned over the top, squeezed my hands inbetween the back of the dryer and the wall while trying to fish the cover over the 220 volt wires in the box. All the while, my brother stood there saying, "uh, let's pull the dryer out and unplug it." I shifted the plate, twisted it, stuck it inside the box, made contact and blew myself right off the dryer. The worst part: new dryers (and washers) have computers that don't like that sort of thing. Had to replace the whole circuit board.

Now tell us!

Tom
+1,000

Almost all the really bone-headed things I've done have involved lazy shortcuts like this. One of these days, I'll learn my lesson! :wallbang:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I was trying to break loose a manifold bolt and needed a breaker bar. A 6" piece of 3" PVC pipe is all I could find. Giving it all I have, the 1 1/2' of 1/2' rachet exfension were twisfed about a 1/4 turn when the PVC slipped off and the rachet handle slammed back into my forehead at warp speed. Ten stitches and a very large bump later I'm trying to drill the head of a bolt off goig through the wheel well. I'm pushing really hard and the bit slips off the bolt and forehead slams into the fender. After recovering from the excruciating pain I then proceeded to do it again. I now have a nice scar to show for my efforts.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I was trying to break loose a manifold bolt and needed a breaker bar. A 6" piece of 3" PVC pipe is all I could find. Giving it all I have, the 1 1/2' of 1/2' rachet exfension were twisfed about a 1/4 turn when the PVC slipped off and the rachet handle slammed back into my forehead at warp speed. Ten stitches and a very large bump later I'm trying to drill the head of a bolt off goig through the wheel well. I'm pushing really hard and the bit slips off the bolt and forehead slams into the fender. After recovering from the excruciating pain I then proceeded to do it again. I now have a nice scar to show for my efforts.
Sometimes the learning curve can be excruciatingly steep...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I got scammed one time on the street. This guy had speakers to sell - top end Johnzon models, complete with woofer and tweeter. He was delivering them to a customer when the client informed him that the speakers he'd ordered had arrived the day before. This meant the delivery guy had brand new Johnzons that had been paid for. He had to get rid of them before going back to the warehouse and only had two hours to get back. Since he lived 1 hour from Austin, driving home and dropping them off for later was not an option.

So, he offered them to me for $150 each at a stop light. After listening to the pitch, I bought them, even though I'd never heard of the brand. In fact, the brand isn't even on the speakers!

A week later, he's on the news, selling Panasonic speakers that had been stolen from a Walmart truck. He simply removed the Panasonic badges, made up a name and found suckers. I took the speakers apart and found the Panasonic model number inside - $60 each.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts