The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's the quick story: Got cocky and overconfident and blew it coming out of turn 7 at Brainerd International Raceway. Spun, slid and hit the tire wall on the left-front corner (pics tonight). To see how the track looks from a car perspective, here's a vid of me driving it this spring in my 350Z: Link

I feel like complete sh!t. I can't believe I lost it there. :wallbang: :mad: :( :eek: :wallbang: :( I was nailing that turn every lap prior. I just pushed too hard. Now I feel like I suck. Maybe I do.

Anyway, I guess I'm off to search for a front clam, an oil cooler (broke off the inlet), left-front headlight, left-front side marker, front under pan, etc. :mad:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Man that happens to everybody! It just shows how bad you want it. Learn from your mistakes and come back that much stonger next time. No worries. On a different note, sorry about your car and glad your ok.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, guys. It helps me pyschologically to hear that. I'll have the pics later today.

On the good side: I was so impressed with the car. I couldn't believe how late I could brake and how much speed I could carry through the turns. Despite being slower at the end of the straight than my 350Z, I know I was shaving at least 2 or 3 seconds a lap off from the braking and cornering. Hopefully, the damage is superficial and it'll be back kicking arse soon. Seems like most of is. When we pushed it on the trailer, it tracked true and rolled easy. The doors all opened and shut fine. My main concern is the left front suspension memebers, but until I take it apart, I won't know for sure.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I had my first spin last week. Fortunately my only damage was minor cosmetic stuff. I am still a little sad to see a couple of gashes and chips in the fiberglas, but my spin was a good learning experience. Make yours the same. I've learned to look back on mistakes to gain experience, not to find regrets. Life is much happier that way.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just wondering..are you guys spinning because you let off the throttle or was it taking a corner and you just pushed it too hard ?

I just had mine out for two days with the local porsche club, what a learning experience..I'm still sore.. -poke-

jeff

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd really appreciate any advice on how much damage you think there is and where to get parts. Here's the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Good News, Bad News...

The chassis looks ok:up:

The crash structure is fcuked:(

If you took it to shop around here it would be about $15K - $20K:tadts:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just busted my clam, crash structure, and a couple of other things. It will cost me 5-6k from the best shop in the North East. Yours looks a little worse but should be way under 10k imo

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had my 1st spin in my Elise the other day. I pushed it in a downpour & spun on turn 1 at GingerMan. Kept it on the track...did a perfect 360 & continued on my way.....felt like Jim Rockford....pretty lucky-eek-

Dan

BTW 100th post

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
cshama said:
I just busted my clam, crash structure, and a couple of other things. It will cost me 5-6k from the best shop in the North East. Yours looks a little worse but should be way under 10k imo
Someone that will remain nameless (not me) hit a small rock while pulling out of a parking spot. New clam, crash structure, side sill and oil cooler.

$18K damage...:tadts:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Patricko said:
Someone that will remain nameless (not me) hit a small rock while pulling out of a parking spot. New clam, crash structure, side sill and oil cooler.

$18K damage...:tadts:
Did "nameless" do the work themselves or did they have a dealer/shop do it?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Conan said:
Did "nameless" do the work themselves or did they have a dealer/shop do it?
A shop did it, and from what I heard, the rock was not so small, although small, as Patrick well knows, is relative...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Put on an Exige clam!! First thing I'd do if I needed a new one in the front or back...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Serebo1 said:
A shop did it, and from what I heard, the rock was not so small, although small, as Patrick well knows, is relative...
too funny serebo1. conan i am so sorry to hear/see this. it really hits home, and IS why i sold mine. i couldnt take a hit like that in the wallet, and if I did, track days would be a thing of the past. i guess i am just a small fish in the big money pond that is ET.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm in agreement with Patrick regarding the damage to the car.

There is no point in being sick about the blow to your ego.
F1 drivers have broken their necks on public roads in street cars, apart from multiple crashes on track.:tadts:

m

·
Registered
900 Posts
When I get my car back I will post a breakdown of my repair costs but from what I have been told $3k for a painted front clam andx $2k for a crash structure make sense.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Ouch. I have the exact same car and I'm headed to the track this weekend. Lightning doesn't stike twice does it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts