The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo, I just took a job just outside London in the UK. I have all my **** packed up and lotus stored till who knows when! Looking to get something new over there, possibly a VX or Lotus. I'm still going to be doing sketches and T's hopefully. I am just going to have to pay someone here to ship them.

I wanted to know, is anyone on here from the UK? I will be living in Royal Leamington Spa, so it would be cool to meet up with some lotus nerds over there.

I'm paying off the Lotus and moth balling her till I come back or ship her over :D

Cheers,

ZW

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
This is bittersweet. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic play for you, but kinda' sad to leave home. But man, we're going to be setting up some group buy's for 5-lug hubs, and all sorts of stuff lol.

·
shay2nak
25,127 Posts
good luck!

those tvrs are going up in price last I read recently.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Not gonna lie - I read the thread title and thought you were moving to Russia.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
Not gonna lie - I read the thread title and thought you were moving to Russia.
Did you momentarily forget that this is a Lotus Cars forum? ;)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RUSSIA?? :UK:

Lol, yeah its bitter sweet especially with my Lotus sleeping. This community has been so great and I hope to continue contributing there. Might have to go to Good wood festival of speed and take some photos of S1's :drool:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congrats!! I am not moving there, but will be vacationing there from June 24 to July 11. Not sure I will have time to get together....I'm packing it pretty tight (including a romp around the 'Ring for a day in my buddies Eurospec M3) What's the job market look like over there? (I don't know what you do for a living...) I've considered doing this occasionally...

Anyway...just chiming in, best of luck to you!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sooooo, I just took a job just outside London in the UK. I have all my **** packed up and lotus stored till who knows when! Looking to get something new over there, possibly a VX or Lotus. I'm still going to be doing sketches and T's hopefully. I am just going to have to pay someone here to ship them.

I wanted to know, is anyone on here from the UK? I will be living in Royal Leamington Spa, so it would be cool to meet up with some lotus nerds over there.

I'm paying off the Lotus and moth balling her till I come back or ship her over :D

Cheers,

ZW
Get yourself signed up on Portal - Midlands Lotus Owners Club (MLOC). We're only a small club, midlands based which you will be and we have regular meets. When are you coming over? On the weekend of the 26th & 27th July 2014 we hold our annual club meet a Chatsworth House in Derbyshire, theres a pub meet on the Saturday night and on the Sunday there is an organised run (last year we had 60 cars on the run), we stop and meet for breakfast and continue the run where we all park up and display the cars. We have a meet just north of Nottingham once a month, there is a Sutton beer night which is well attended (no cars just beer) and we have regular runs on Sunday mornings out in Derbyshire, there are often groups going to track days, cars for sale etc. We are a club of mainly modern Lotus, S1 Elise/Exige, S2 Elise/Exige, 340R's, Europa, new Elise and V6 Exige... theres lots to mention besides... my username on MLOC is [email protected], hope to see you online!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Congrats.
I lived in England for a while a couple of years ago, and had a great time.

One bit of car-related advice:
The UK has MUCH different insurance laws than we do. For example, you get 30 days to drop any new insurance policy, but after that they will charge you a BIG fee to drop. Also their rates are super high for inexperienced drivers.
See if you can get a letter from your US insurance agent before you move that states how many years you have been insured and how long you have been accident free. Then make sure your UK agency will accept that before you sign up.
Not knowing how it worked I ended up with a company that would not accept the letter my US agency sent them, so they jacked my rate up like 6x, and then wanted me to pay them something like $2k to drop the insurance even after I sold my car. Very frustrating.

Other than that I really liked England (I lived in Enstone, near Oxford).
A few other things I noticed that were different to me:
They take 2 tea breaks a day, and they are mandatory, working through them will piss off everyone ( I don't like tea, but the English way with milk and sugar isn't bad).
If you get a dog, you can bring him to the pub with you! (provided you train him well)
In winter it will be 40*F, but you will want to dress for 0*, because the humidity makes it so much colder, and they keep it cooler inside than we do. Bring underarmor.
Roundabouts are great in a country where they know how to use them.
Customer service is much less than in the US. Stores have shorter hours and not everyone has return policies and stuff like that. Not a big deal when you get used to it, but can be a surprise if you new cell phone doesn't work or something.
Stuff is quite a bit more expensive, so bring your high dollar items and nicer clothes with you.
Most places will not have a garage, so be prepared for that. Also it is much harder to get good tools compared to the US. Halfords is OK, but not near as good as sears, and I don't know if there is something like the Snap-On guy or not.
Each geographical region will have a couple of local beers, and most all pubs in the area will carry that and not much else selection wise. Still English beer is really good once you get used to it.
Vintage cars! Vintage is all the rage over there, and there is a huge community of people restoring/showing/racing cars from about 1910s-1940s. If you want something cool and different, you might want to get into that group...

Anyway, have a good time. I sometimes wish my wife and I had decided to move to England long-term when we had the offer.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I lived and worked there for a while in Manchester with British Aerospace. Tons of fun. Food is crap except for Indian. Very expensive (take the ferry to Dublin from NW Wales). I traveled to a different city to stay every weekend (Bath, York, Dublin, Aire, etc.). Everything is SO close there.

Keep your states drivers licence and get the AAA international licence. I got pulled over a few times and once I spoke, (obvious Yank!) and showed my WA state drivers licence they got disgusted and just let me go. :shift:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts