The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a wonderful afternoon of washing these two little guys! And then I had to mess with the people in the neighborhood by driving them afterwards to dry off the brakes! I am one lucky little girl! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ach Liebe! Ihre Corvette ist Deutsch!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Fantastic shots!

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Thats awsome I haven't seen an opel gt in 20 years. Cool! Now just get a 68 corvette and complete the trilogy

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had a wonderful afternoon of washing these two little guys! And then I had to mess with the people in the neighborhood by driving them afterwards to dry off the brakes! I am one lucky little girl! ;)
That Opel GT is awesome!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Opel GT is beautiful! How long have you owned it and what have you done to put it in that condition?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Opel GT is beautiful! How long have you owned it and what have you done to put it in that condition?
We have owned it about a week. The previous owner put it in show condition about 12 years ago and stored it in a conditioned, carpeted garage and only took it out for shows to collect trophy's. In those 12 years, it only drove 2000 miles. For about 2 years, it has not been driven. The engine is modified (bored, cam'd, weber, headers, electronic ignition, etc...) and louder than the Lotus (in a great way). We found it on E-bay, discovered that it was the most talked about car on the Opel forums, met with the president of the Opel club to learn how good the car was and just decided we wanted it....bad. So, we made sure we won it. We ordered some new wheels for it (the old ones were chrome and inappropriate for the era), contacted the engine builder for details and prepared for the arrival.

When it was delivered 6 days ago, it was undriveable. The local Opel club president and an Opel engine Guru worked with us all weekend to get it drive-able. Vacuum leaks, carburetor jet clogs, distributor issues, all sorts of little crap due to lack of usage needed to be taken care of. Now, it runs fairly good. Still some minor Weber magic needed to get it dialed in and we are waiting for a new brake booster vacuum line and check valve (driving it without power brakes right now).

While it runs great for a 40 year old car, after we get done tuning it, it will run great, period.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Cool car and it's great you'll give it a good new home. A kid in high school back in the day had one and it was quite envied.

I see a few around Detroit every once in a while, but never as nice as this one. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks for the reply DrinkMan. Yeah, that's the biggest killer of cars is sitting for long periods of time especially with carb cars.

Back in '09 I was working on my Polaris 650 sled getting it running after sitting for many years. First I gave it a few pulls and it was trying to start so I kept going. Little did I know gas was dumping out the overflow line on the garage floor until it back fired and caught fire. I had a fire extingushier on hand so no major damage occured, just a couple of melted drain hoses but it sure did scare the $h!t out of me! :panic:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting Pair of Sports Cars

I could post a similar photo because my brother-in-law still has his yellow Opel GT from the time he was a youngster and I have a black '06 Elise, only your Opel is in far better shape. We'd have to exhume the yellow one from the deep stuff piled on it, roll it out of his garage, wash off the dust, and do a lot of waxing. He won't sell the Opel, but won't invest the time or money to get it back on the road. Pity. It has great lines and reminds me of the Mako Shark and the Corvair Monza GT concept car.
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Corvair/1962ChevroletCorvairMonzaGTConceptCar-ja18a.jpg

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I saw an Open GT in yellow at my work this summer. It looked fantastic.

But your purple one - incredibly beautiful!!:clap: WOW.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
cleanest opel i have ever seen. love the color. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts