The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the time has come. I'm finally going to pick up an Elise!

I'm flying in to pick up the car, and then driving ~500 miles back to Atlanta. It's supposed to rain all weekend throughout the southeast, unfortunately. Apparently the car has never seen a rain storm yet. Oh well!

Is there anything specific I should bring just in case? I'm bringing ear plugs and a tire gauge...what else would be recommended on an 8 hour drive?

I'm so excited :nanner:

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Rain absolutely sucks in an Elise.
The defrost won't keep up so bring something to clear the windshield with and if it's a soft top expect it to leak heavily once saturated. Hard top may leak less but either way expect to get a bit wet. How are the tires? I never felt safe in wet conditions with the original tires, even when new. My advice would be if you're fogging up or hydroplaning, having a hard time checking blind spots and such, get off the road and wait it out. Best of luck and be safe out there!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Glad to have a new member, but some info about your new lotus would help a lot to your questions like year, miles, and if the recalls done if it applies. Also, 500 miles should not be any trouble or issues unless the vehicle was not inspected by the dealer before you bought it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
500 miles is no problem, just bring some good music to listen to and you're set. If you'll be driving in the rain, take it easy and don't push it too hard. Otherwise, enjoy!

Graham

·
Registered
686 Posts
500 miles is a cake walk, earbuds, tunes, and driving shoes!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Ipod, a towel for the fogging, smile on your face, fight the temptation!

Take it slow and have fun!

Remember to check the Chin Motorsports calendar once in a while and come hook up with others Lotus junkies at Road Atlanta.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If this is your first Lotus you are gonna enjoy all the attention you get on your drive (Be sure to look out for people who take pictures EXACTLY in your blind spot as everyone seems to do. :p)

Congrats!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Foam ear plugs.
AC on to help defog the wind screen.
a sweeter or two in case the seat is not quiet right.
A coating of Rain-X is also worthwhile in side and out.
You could almost cycle 500 miles, but I would go slow in the rain. he tires are great o 48 mph, and then at 49 they are like ice. (you results will vary with tread pattern etc, but it can be a light switch at hydro plane speed.)

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
... driving shoes!
+1
I don't know how big you are, but if you are like me, I wear a size 11 wide shoe. That does not fit in between the foot well divider and the brake pedal. Driving shoes do... have fun...it is an intoxicating drive and take that detour to drive on a curvy mountain road. :clap:

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Hope you are lucky. My hardtop does not leak. If you need a new wiper blade, I got a Michelin at Wall-Mart.

Earbuds are a bad idea (using two of them is illegal in my state). The stereo is good enough if you have the hardtop and a stock exhaust. I never listen to the stereo anymore anyway, the driving experience is enough.

Yes, take it way easy in the rain. Right lane, lights on. Check the lights before the trip. If it is raining, find a large open car park and test the car (and you) a bit.

Bring your AAA card and your cellphone, and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Bring a good tire pressure gauge and check them (cold) before you leave. Ditto on the towel, etc.

If the car has the Sport package and Yokohama A048's, the rain will not be much fun. Mine has seen rain twice for a short span with those tires and they didn't do too well compared to tires with some tread on them. They also don't do too well in cold weather due to the tread compound.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Bring a camera, get the elusive shot nobody has ever got. Get a picture of the first person who is trying to get a shot of your car; they will be the first of hundreds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't understand some of the comments here...my Elise has been very reliable--my drive home was 300 miles, and it was just great. OK, so slow down in the rain seems like good advice for any car. Windshield fogs, yup--defogger and A/C work?.....I will add that since there is no spare tire, check for a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk, and I'm planning to add a plug kit to my trunk. Does the car have Starshield? If not, maybe bug protection?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input, guys! Thankfully the owner had two sets of wheels, and the car is coming with the LSS wheels wearing all seasons. Too bad this upcoming trip will be the only time where that's a plus. It does have a hard top as well, so fingers crossed that it doesn't get too wet in there.

It's a low VIN car (500s) so I have no idea if the HVAC will be useful at all. The PO said he never drove the var in less than perfect weather with the top off so he's never had an occasion to use it.

Just as a funny anecdote, I was quoted $4k a year for a few insurance policies. I settled with Grundy for 450/year :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have a low-VIN car as well (#0285) and the HVAC used to ice up on long trips during summer months. I had the '07-later temperature sensor installed and this seems to have cured it.

If it has seen a lot of rain in the past, make sure that the HVAC blower works, as the early cars have a resistor pack on the bottom of the fan motor that gets corroded and quits working.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a low-VIN car as well (#0285) and the HVAC used to ice up on long trips during summer months. I had the '07-later temperature sensor installed and this seems to have cured it.

If it has seen a lot of rain in the past, make sure that the HVAC blower works, as the early cars have a resistor pack on the bottom of the fan motor that gets corroded and quits working.
Interesting, I'll definitely keep that in mind if any issues arise. Apparently the car has seen rain twice in its life so I'm not too concerned about corrosion of that system.

I spoke with you a couple months ago; thanks for offering to show me your car. The weather was never good enough to take you up on the offer though!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think there is some anecdotal misconception about AO48's in the rain. I've had the good time to participate in two weekends at Grattan in Michigan in the rain, and can assure that you will not slide off the road at 49MPH. You can actually get to about 100 at the end of the long straight with no trouble. What you can't do is drive with these tires if the tread gets to less than half because THEN they will hydro like mad. Found out the hard way when I drove 120 miles home after the last weekend of the year at one of the tracks with the tires essentially gone, but not yet showing cord. Rain started up about 20 miles into the trip. Scariest part of the whole weekend was drifting on I-96 at about 60 MPH. Ended up taking slow back roads to get home safely.

Car doesn't fog up if you use A/C a bit together with heat.

To the OP, rig up some kind of cupholder if the car doesn't have one and bring a phone earbud so you can talk. No way to hear the speaker on your phone.

I've found the car to be fine for maybe 150 miles before I need to stretch out. In crappy weather it really isn't a very good ride but you can get there OK if you pay attention. It's funny, I usually find myself going with the flow in the right lane on a highway, it's not a very exciting highway car.

Finally, don't forget that the speedometer is about 7% optimistic. It was built in that way for some reason. So you really won't be going 75 when you think you are.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ok, everything everyone else said, but let me add:

- A thing of fuses. The standard variety pack that you can get anywhere. They are $8 and worth peace of mind just in case.

- Charger for your phone. No brainer, but you want to make sure your phone is ready to go.

- A Garmin if you have one, or if you use your phone. May want to search around and find the right mount (say for your iPhone) to make life easier when using it for nav. Not many places to 'stick the phone' when driving/charging.

- A small tool kit - the ones with a small ratchet/screwdriver - never know.

Ok, and here are THE most important things:

- Fresh can of Fix a Flat.

- A small OBDII reader. They are $45 at Harbor Freight or auto parts stores. Totally worth it to have in the car. If it throws a code, you can know what your issue is. For example, many get a CEL and it turns out its the stupid 'gas cap not on tight' code. Again, peace of mind.

The last and..

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

Communicate with the owner. Make him be ABSOLUTELY SURE (as in 'text me a photo of it') that he has the tool kit. Of note, you want to make sure you have:

- THE TOW HOOK (if you don't and break down, you'll have a problem).

- THE SPLINE TOOL - the wheels don't have standard studs - they have splined studs and if you don't have the tool and catch a flat = problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts