The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy my first elise. It will be used. The California edition has caught my eye. Will it hold value? Is it truely limited?
Any insight would be helpful..
Thanks

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I'm going to buy my first elise. It will be used. The California edition has caught my eye. Will it hold value? Is it truely limited?
Any insight would be helpful..
Thanks
People have a love/hate view of how the California is tricked out. Some folks think that, given it's strange paint treatment of the grills, there are already too many of them on the road.

Lotus comes out with many different 'Limited' versions of the same model. That's how they stretch the lifespan of a platform. They've always done it.

As such, most of their limited editions don't seem to hold their 'value' any better than any other Lotus, which is to say they depreciate very quickly just like every other car.

If you want it, buy it. If you're already factoring in what's its resale value might be as a condition of purchase, well, probably not the best factor to consider.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I think the painted grills are FUGLY! I would pay more to have a standard elise.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it the same grill only painted?

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
get a standard Elise then mod it to the way you want it

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you like the CA get it. You can paint the grills if you want, EZ to do. That said you can buy the interior parts separately and or get custom interior parts the color you want, and mod a cheaper used car that is a different color then a CA cars come. If I got a CA I would rip those silver grill peaces off the next day and get a black mesh put in. Look up Lotus TrimShop and Custom Interiors and you may see something you like better. Blackwatch Racing I think sells these parts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well one thing is for sure. I've found a great group, thanks for the help!
Now to find the right Elise!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too funny!
I would like to see eagle/tiger... that would suit my concept a little better..
This Catbird needs a seat...

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
California interior is amazing. :drool:

The only thing most don't like is the grills, which CAN be painted or replaced with normal ones (or mesh!). Then if you want to sell it you can swap back (and sell the 2nd set seperately) or keep the 2nd set if a buyer wants them

But in terms of holding value... Maybe a little more than a normal elise, but not much.
That used yellow one might be a good deal if you're worried about depreciation.

If you want an SC version, the 60th edition (striped) is a good deal since you get a loaded elise SC for cheaper than getting a normal one with all the packages, and free stripes

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
The thing that would piss me off is that I'd actually have to really take care of the interior. I've never detailed the interior of my Elise because I just don't care too much about its appearance (because it's not that great looking anyways). I don't abuse it, but I like being able to not care so much.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The 60th edition is grate. If you don’t mind paying full price/new and maybe waiting for it to arrive I would most definitely get it. Big time!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Why bother buying the "cali" edition when you can just get a used SC for that kind of price. I'm sorry but "extra" options just don't seem worth it to me that hold no performance gains. Remember the car is about how it drives not how it looks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts