The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm retiring my Elise. :D
No, I'm not giving up driving.
No I'm not giving up driving it on the track either.

I'm going to enjoy the Elise in a slower pace.
You see, this Elise had it's share of track use. It held the record of the fastest Elise on the big track at Willow Springs with professional driver Craig Stanton at the wheel. The car has it's suspension set up superbly by the skilled hands of "Carl4", who now owns a new Exige S. I'm honored to own this Elise with such a great history.

I'm enjoying the Elise at a slower pace. I like savoring the convertible attributes on a warm spring day, or in a summer night with the stars filling the sky above. I enjoy the performance potential: "this car can do that, without proving it". That's an assuring feeling. I love waxing the glistening fiberglass body, polishing the wheels and detailing the interior. I love showing the Elise at car shows and watch children's eyes light up when they sit in the driver's seat. Maybe they will be future Lotus owners. I relish the drive down the Pacific Coast Highway at lunchtime with the waves crashing on the shore. Or driving at twilight.

Yes, I enjoy spirited canyon driving, especially the some of the best Lotus roads (Santa Monica Mountains, Malibu) in my backyard. I love track driving during "High Performance Driving Experiences" in a safe and sane environment. But I will not compete or try to beat track records. Sometimes, I'm the slowest car on the track, even though I'm having best time of my life! I'm not trying to prove anything, except having fun.

Everytime I drive, I improve my skills....that comes from experience. I admire others, who have driving skills way out of my league. Just being at the track, watching from the sidelines, is still thrilling. Pushing their skills and pushing their Lotus toward the limit is part of this exciting hobby. But it's not for me. For me, there's another part of the hobby that is fun too.

My Elise has a healthy, strong mechanical and physical condition. At 30K miles, I plan to keep it there. No errands to local parking lots, no bumper to bumper freeway traffic, no drives in inclement weather. My "beater" car does that. But every clear day, I take the Elise out, racking up 1000 miles each month.

So, I call this Elise retirement. This Elise is now fulfilling it's job admirably. It's makes my automobile dreams come true and makes me extremely happy!

--Hal

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I love track driving during "High Performance Driving Experiences" in a safe and sane environment. But I will not compete or try to beat track records. Sometimes, I'm the slowest car on the track, even though I'm having best time of my life! I'm not trying to prove anything, except having fun.
hal, dont give up on track days altogether.
having fun is what its all about.
the guys who are trying to "prove" something, are also the guys who are much more likely (much much more liekly) to wad up their cars.
who cares what the F anyone else thinks, whats important is what you think, and that you are having fun.
Usually the guys who are very vocal about how much someone sucks at the track, are also the ones who are the most insecure about their own driving abilities.
HPDE is about having fun, not impressing others, unless of course its some guys high school girlfriend.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hal, dont give up on track days altogether.
having fun is what its all about.
the guys who are trying to "prove" something, are also the guys who are much more likely (much much more liekly) to wad up their cars.
who cares what the F anyone else thinks, whats important is what you think, and that you are having fun.
Usually the guys who are very vocal about how much someone sucks at the track, are also the ones who are the most insecure about their own driving abilities.
HPDE is about having fun, not impressing others, unless of course its some guys high school girlfriend.
Thanks fishguy, for the encouragement and for the words of wisdom. :D
Sometimes I get "jazzed" about my Lotus and my driving experiences and I try to express my thoughts in words on the forum. Sometimes members do not like that. :sad:

--Hal

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Drive it like a Ford Focus on the street and an F1 Car at the track.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Hal,
Do what I do, go to the track but drive for fun in the novice/intermediate group. They can be, but not always, less stressful and more easy going. A lot of people just want to have fun. Think of it like going skiing and staying on the blue runs, leave the half pipes and black double diamond moguls for the crowd that chases them. Nothing wrong with that mind you, it's just that I'm at a point that I would rather have a leisurely run down the mountain and enjoy it, not work at it anymore.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Great post Hal,

guess it hit a spot with me, as I'm coming around to a similar status for my Lotus. The rain, cold weather, a convalescing wife and lots of errands to run over the last month broke me of my goal of using it as a daily driver. I purchased a Honda Fit for the daily grind, and am much happier this way. And I still walk into the garage and admire the Lotus.

Will try to catch track days when tax season lets up for me, but for the rest of my car duties will be in the Honda. I made it a year as a daily driver and enjoyed many aspects of it. But this boy was finally beat into something more street friendly.

So my plan is to just drive it on weekends. I Have some tax appointments today so crawled into cockpit, pushed the button and what do you think happened? click click click click. Drove her last week and fired right up, but guess I need a trickle charger for the new status. The new plan will start when I get home today and hook up the battery charger :p

Mark

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so crawled into cockpit, pushed the button and what do you think happened? click click click click. Drove her last week and fired right up, but guess I need a trickle charger for the new status. The new plan will start when I get home today and hook up the battery charger :p

Mark
Yep, I had to get the trickle charger too, last December! It works well.
Regards, Hal

·
Registered
506 Posts
That was quick. Didn't you just get the car a year ago?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was quick. Didn't you just get the car a year ago?
You didn't catch the reason of the thead, cudacharlie.
I'm going the drive it and track it until it's ready for replacement!:D
But I'm not going drive it in bad weather, traffic or daily driver.
I want to "preserve" it for the best times: Weekend driving and HPDE.
I'm retiring it from "DD" use.

This Elise has been "retired" when I bought it. It had the best drivers on the best tracks. I'm not going to "baby" it, but my driving is in a slower pace (most of the time). Track use happens several times a year. It had 7000 track miles when I bought it as "pre-owned".
I'm happy the way it is. See you in the canyons!:wave:

--Hal

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You didn't catch the reason of the thead, cudacharlie.
I'm going the drive it and track it until it's ready for replacement!:D
But I'm not going drive it in bad weather, traffic or daily driver.
I want to "preserve" it for the best times: Weekend driving and HPDE.
I'm retiring it from "DD" use.

This Elise has been "retired" when I bought it. It had the best drivers on the best tracks. I'm not going to "baby" it, but my driving is in a slower pace (most of the time). Track use happens several times a year. It had 7000 track miles when I bought it as "pre-owned".
I'm happy the way it is. See you in the canyons!:wave:

--Hal
Hal, it was more like 5000 but 0 standing starts..carl

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I retired mine the second time I drove it to a restaurant. I don't see how anyone can enjoy driving these cars on the street daily quite frankly. The rough ride just takes the fun out of it. You have to circumnav every pothole and major crack in the road and noone can see you so you have drive as if everyone's out to get you. The car is such a gem on the track, driving on the street is just antithetical.

Enjoy retirement!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts