The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend and I are taking the plunge and going to the Skip Barber Formula Ford racing school in May at Leguna Seca! I'm so excited!!!!!! It's truely another dream come true, the first being the day I purchased my Elise :)

·
Premium Member
11,721 Posts
You will have a great time! Nothing like being in an open-wheel racer. I did Bertil Roos (PA) and it was the best 3 consecutive days I might have ever had.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Skip Barber has a great program. I took a class with them back in 2001 at Lime Rock and it was very helpful and fun. I'd really like to join their competition.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I sure which someone (else) would put together a big e-talk Skippy School meet. I'd be down for that!
:)

·
Registered
992 Posts
You will have a great time! Nothing like being in an open-wheel racer. I did Bertil Roos (PA) and it was the best 3 consecutive days I might have ever had.

Good luck.
Bertil rules! for east coasters lookin to openwheel school, go with Bertil.

Unfort they dont run at Laguna :-(

Still, you'll get a lot more quality track time and no silly handholding. Save a few clams too.

They let u rip it up on day one!! Zoomzooom!!

·
Premium Member
11,721 Posts
What nice reactions from everyone.

One pc of possibly good advice: If you don't already know how heel and toe, learn.

It makes street and track driving smoother and the school will expect you to know how (I guess).

EZ to practise in neutral to begin, then on the street. Covered here plenty.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What nice reactions from everyone.

One pc of possibly good advice: If you don't already know how heel and toe, learn.

It makes street and track driving smoother and the school will expect you to know how (I guess).

EZ to practise in neutral to begin, then on the street. Covered here plenty.
Heal-Toe training is covered in day 1 :)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
My friend and I are taking the plunge and going to the Skip Barber Formula Ford racing school in May at Leguna Seca! I'm so excited!!!!!! It's truely another dream come true, the first being the day I purchased my Elise :)
What date? I've been planning on taking the course sometime this - this could be the perfect excuse.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What date? I've been planning on taking the course sometime this - this could be the perfect excuse.
May 23rd - 25th. Unless there are more cancellations, we took the last two spots (because of two cancellations 4 days ago).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just did the Skippy MX-5 racing school at Miami Homestead last month (same program as the formula ford). Great program, you'll have fun and learn a lot. Like others have stated, get good rest at night. You'll need it. I wish I could have done Laguna, I envy you!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm signed up for the Skip Barber 3-day racing school at Lime Rock Aug 7th-9th. It is a Thu-Sat which is more convenient than most of the lime rock schools which are Mon-Wed. Also, they are repaving Lime Rock in May & June, should be done by the beginnning of July so we'll hopefully be running in August on a nice new track.

If any other east coast lotus people want to come along, should be fun!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm also taking "Advanced Car Control" on April 18th at Lime Rock.

Not to completely hijack this thread, but once you do the 3-day, advanced car control and one day of "Lapping", you are qualified to race in the skip barber regional series. does anyone on here have experience with that? The race weekend at lime rock this year is in september, so it is possible for me to complete the prerequisites by then if i want. what do you think, should I do it? i need to sign up soon, and i'm thinking that after i take the three day i might be hooked enough to want to try a race.

Cheers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm back! This was truely an exhilarating experience! It was faster paced then I thought it would be, but it didn't bother me :) You get tons and tons of seat time and professional instruction/feedback from ex-racers. Leave your ego behind :)

I suppose the only "bad" thing I'd have to say is once you take this course, you'll most likely be addicted. You'll want to sign up for the advanced course so you get can get into their race series. However, if you're like me and not "well off" ... it'll be a a point of frustration. Still, absolutely no regrets here.

Regarding the cork screw ... all video grame simulations do not do this justice! Cresting the hill after the first apex, you cannot see the second apex ... at all! In fact, you wonder where the track actually went :)

If I may offer a piece of advice to anyone considering taking this course or any course similar, get the insurance! It does cost an extra amount, but limits your liability for damages should an indcident occur. I did not have an incident, but the person I shared my car with did. She did not get the insurance and had to foot the bill for the repairs to the race car. I will not disclose the amount out of respect for her, but I will say it was a substantial amount.

Drive safe guys!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
The corkscrew has to be one of the best corners on any track anywhere. Aim for the Oak Tree and floor it!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hell yes I loved it! I loved every minute of it! Driving a race car around Laguna Seca was awesome :) The added benefit of the instructors, I feel I'm a better driver now. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The corkscrew has to be one of the best corners on any track anywhere. Aim for the Oak Tree and floor it!
I agree, but scary as heck the first time you do it :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts