The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this? As simple as installing the plug and the Cobra is totally gone?? No programming?

·
Registered
530 Posts
You will need to take out your driver seat and rear bulkhead stuff which is easy but a little time consuming. Once that stuff is out of the way it’s easy as unplug the harness and plug in the jumper harness. You can also cut the harness and wire the two specific wires together and make it yourself. Then you will no longer need to deal with the annoying unreliable immobilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You lose your shift light and always have to stare at that stupid blinking red light on the dash.

The much, much cleaner solution is to go through the programming menu and set it to only be active when you want it. I lock my doors with the mechanical key anyways, so I actually don't even use the fob anymore.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree w/ cyow5 - the process is a bit fussy, and takes (took me) a few tries, but just re-programming it made it disappear for normal use!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have all of that stuff out of the car. I have been trying to stop the two beeps every five seconds until the key is pulled out of the ignition. Tried many approaches but just won't go away. So, I have to decide which is worse two beeps every 5 seconds or blinking dash light. How do you reprogram the cobra?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I have all of that stuff out of the car. I have been trying to stop the two beeps every five seconds until the key is pulled out of the ignition. Tried many approaches but just won't go away. So, I have to decide which is worse two beeps every 5 seconds or blinking dash light. How do you reprogram the cobra?
I don't have the threads in front of me, but basically search for anything with Sir_Lotus. He's the guru on such topics. I'm not sure what beep you are referring to, but if it is alarm-related, that's a different box from the immobilizer. The alarm is under the passenger airbag-ish

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just did this last week.

Purchasing the plug from Elise shop made it much easier.

Slide drivers seat all the way forward.
Remove passenger seat.
Remove harness bar if applicable.
Remove speakers
Remove plastic screws and panel
Remove big foam piece
Unplug immobilizer
Plug in plug
Put back together.

Remove passenger cubby
Tape the sharp metal pieces
Cut zip tie holding bag together
Remove / open bag to find alarm module
Get a helper
Put a long screw driver or something long that can be leveraged to lift up the wires.
Slide hand in and push both tabs Out while helper pushes down on screwdriver.
Harness should pop out.

Put back together.

Now no alarm, no flashing light and shift light still remains.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I just did this last week.

Purchasing the plug from Elise shop made it much easier.

Slide drivers seat all the way forward.
Remove passenger seat.
Remove harness bar if applicable.
Remove speakers
Remove plastic screws and panel
Remove big foam piece
Unplug immobilizer
Plug in plug
Put back together.

Remove passenger cubby
Tape the sharp metal pieces
Cut zip tie holding bag together
Remove / open bag to find alarm module
Get a helper
Put a long screw driver or something long that can be leveraged to lift up the wires.
Slide hand in and push both tabs Out while helper pushes down on screwdriver.
Harness should pop out.

Put back together.

Now no alarm, no flashing light and shift light still remains.
The key here is that you also removed the alarm. If you had just added the plug like OP had hoped was all that was needed, you'd have the blinking light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts