The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very confused. I have decided sine I cant get one of the 2 remote buttons to work no matter what i do I am about to disable the immobilizer. I watched a video showing a simple way to bypass with a quick splice connector. I read a post on here tonight stating that if you do the bypass that the tack light will remain blinking. I also saw something about the "PIN" and am not sure what that is all about. If I do the bypass will the tack light remain blinking until the car is started or will it blink all the time. Also if I do the bypass will the door locks still work from the remote button or not. I am a pretty knowledgeable car person in my 70's but the electronic end of things sometimes really baffles me. any help on this would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
So I’ve read quite bit on this as well but so many info everywhere. Here is what I came up with from my understanding of it, feel free to correct me...

Doing the splicing mod will keep the “tach” light blinking while car is on. Alarm and key fob functions still work unless you decide to disable the alarm too. Disabling the alarm will disable key fob functions.

Procedure via pin code - you have the ability to set the immobilizer when car is off to either auto turn on or only turn on when alarm is activated. Obviously, default is auto on.

Via pin - you can disable immobilizer/alarm with pin code. No splicing required. You can not disable immobilizer or alarm only thru this. Both are connected thru the disable instructions. And if alarm is disabled, key fob functions will not work.

For clarification, pin code is a 4 digit pin for your alarm/immobilizer system. If you don’t have it, you can call a dealership and request your code. They will just need proof of ownership. I’m assuming you have read thru the procedure to do the above via pin code. Lots of patience and timing to do it correctly via pin.

I have my immobilizer set to only turn on when I activate my alarm. I did not want to lose the keyless entry functions or seeing a continuous blinking light while driving.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have my "pin" it was on a card with procedure instruction for activating a fob. I have tried without success to program the one of 2 fobs I have at that does not work. I did not see any instructions as to how and program it to bypass the immobilizer without doing the wire splice. I bought the car a few months back with one of the two fobs working and the other is not. The one that is working has the big button cover cracked and has the button exposed. The other looks like it has seldom or never been used and I live in fear of the one that works failing on me and being left stranded somewhere. Is there a procedure written someplace that explains how to disable the immobilizer so the car can be started with just the key and the start button on the dash

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the bottom line. I would like to disable the immobilizer completely and also stop the tack light from blinking when I am driving it. I have seen the post from SurLotus showing all the steps to completely disable the alarm. To be honest that's beyond me. Can I just do the wire splice behind the drivers seat and make the tack light stop blinking

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
If you do splice mod, you will get the blinking. The only way to stop the blinking is if you disable the alarm as well by unplugging it. Located on passenger side dash panel. Keep in mind, disabling alarm will stop key fob functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Less is Better
2,479 Posts
If it's just a matter of not wanting to have to use the FOB, why don't you just disable the automatic immobilizer? I have mine set so that the alarm only arms itself if I activate it with the fob. Otherwise the immobilizer/alarm are completely dormant. There is no strange starting procedure that includes the FOB at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you have your PIN, you can use it to turn off the immobilizer in an emergency (key fobs die) and start your car.

pairing new fobs is a little difficult and it took me a couple tries to get it (make sure they both have good batteries)

you can also buy new cases for the fobs for 10$ and I did that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I have done the splice on the immobilizer and now the car starts without using the fob. the alarm light blinks on the dash after the car is started but if i press the big button on the fob it stops. I have looked at some threads about pulling the cluster and just need to know witch wire on the cluster plug could be cut to stop the alarm light from blinking. That way I believe the fob would still work for lock and unlock but no immobilizer and no blinking. I also assume that I will lose the tack light function but that ok.

·
Less is Better
2,479 Posts
Again, why don't you just reprogram the immobilizer? It's easier than searching for wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have read about programing it for a valet mode to bypass the immobilizer by using the fob and the small button on it. every time I do it and it beeps twice the next time I go to use it it has to be reprogramed. The manual does not give me any instructions that allow me to shut it off perminatly.

·
Less is Better
2,479 Posts
I have read about programing it for a valet mode to bypass the immobilizer by using the fob and the small button on it. every time I do it and it beeps twice the next time I go to use it it has to be reprogramed. The manual does not give me any instructions that allow me to shut it off perminatly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts