The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally discovered that my immobilizer isn't working. My engine will start without pushing the fob button for 2 secs.

Where do I start on debugging this?

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
:eek:
I accidentally discovered that my immobilizer isn't working. My engine will start without pushing the fob button for 2 secs.

Where do I start on debugging this?
Sirlotus will help you out as soon as he sees the thread. He is the immobilizer guru.
:eek:

You probably have a pre-owned car where it was programmed for "active" arming, where the immobilizer only arms if you press the fob. Active arming in my opinion is preferable because it give the option of arming.
Michael

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response. I love this forum! :)

It is pre-owned, yes!

I don't see on your programming thread what the arming disarming sequence is in "active arming" mode. Can you please spell it out for me?

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I love this forum! :)

It is pre-owned, yes!

I don't see on your programming thread what the arming disarming sequence is in "active arming" mode. Can you please spell it out for me?
When the system is in "passive" (factory) mode, the immobilizer (not the alarm) will automatically arm. So, in the "passive"mode if you do nothing, the immobilizer is on and the alarm off. If programmed for "active" mode the immobilizer (and alarm) will only arm if you press the larger "A" button and disarm the same way.
Michael

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When the system is in "passive" (factory) mode, the immobilizer (not the alarm) will automatically arm. So, in the "passive"mode if you do nothing, the immobilizer is on and the alarm off. If programmed for "active" mode the immobilizer (and alarm) will only arm if you press the larger "A" button and disarm the same way.
Michael
Active mode sounds like a normal alarm/immobilizer combination to me. Where both are turned on and off simultaneously.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Active mode sounds like a normal alarm/immobilizer combination to me. Where both are turned on and off simultaneously.
Actually, "passive" mode is the default because even if you forget, the car will be immobilized.
Michael

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, "passive" mode is the default because even if you forget, the car will be immobilized.
Michael
I thought that for most cars the alarm and immobilizer are turned on with a single push of the fob button that also locks the doors?

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I thought that for most cars the alarm and immobilizer are turned on with a single push of the fob button that also locks the doors?
Correct, but if you do nothing only the immobilizer arms, assuming it is programed for passive arming.
Michael

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your insight Michael. I'm back from China now, so I can actually play with my fob!

Well, I've had to go to Boise, but that's just for one night. Home soon!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
I'm resurrecting this because I believe this has just happened to me somehow.

I was having a starter motor issue where I was just getting a single CLICK and the car would go dead. Shorai instructed me how to do the proper battery recondition sequence and now it just fires up fine...

However during this troubleshooting episode my car doesn't seem to need the immobilizer anymore...

I reconnected the battery and then counted to five (so the disarm BEEP wouldn't toggle off/on). Check.

I pushed the large button on the fob and the car went BEEP - but instead of disabling the immobilizer it LOCKED both doors... and then the key-in / ignition / START button cranks and starts the car.

Incredulously I disconnected the battery, waited a minute, reconnected, waited a few seconds, inserted/turned the key, pushed the button and it STARTED the car.

No immobilzer needed?!

How do I set it back so the immobilizer works again?

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts