The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning, I was wondering if you know some country where it is possible get the road homologation and plate for a Lotus Exige V6 imported from Europe. I would like to use it in Florida.
Ciao

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,128 Posts
This is not possible, you cannot import an Exige V6 and use it on roads, only on the track.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Not to be flip, but this is in the top five repeating topics here. Answer is always the same. Can’t legally be done.

There sometimes is someone who claims to know a guy with a street titled one. Or even claiming to have one, but there are never any pics of a car with tags, or a photo of a name/address redacted registration card or title.

If it WERE possible, the V6 Exige would be Lotus’ best selling model of all time in the US.

Reactions: FL Orange

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
EXACTLY!! Not their brightest move IMHO. I have wanted one for years!

Reactions: Kubera

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Second time this has come up in 2 weeks.

San

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
...or...buy Exige V6 and import it (for track only... but really just a donor)... strip it down to near bare chassis... then buy a US Elise/Exige... strip it down to nearly bare chassis... take parts from Exige V6 and re-install on the US chassis... but the front crash structures are different as are side body bits - which all are bonded to the chassis... but you would have US VIN and titled car... or strip body off US car, buy V6 body, buy V6 rear subframe and v6 stuff... swap onto US chassis...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
What if you get a returning US Military member to ship it back with their household goods? That was a scheme that worked before.

Or, find someone in UK to tear it down and sell it as a kit?

·
Registered
189 Posts
You can get a temporary pass to drive a car with euro plate on US roads, but you cant get a US plate.

·
Registered
824 Posts
...or...buy Exige V6 and import it (for track only... but really just a donor)... strip it down to near bare chassis... then buy a US Elise/Exige... strip it down to nearly bare chassis... take parts from Exige V6 and re-install on the US chassis... but the front crash structures are different as are side body bits - which all are bonded to the chassis... but you would have US VIN and titled car... or strip body off US car, buy V6 body, buy V6 rear subframe and v6 stuff... swap onto US chassis...
@lt1_fd3s exactly. it can be done. I want to do it for a 3-11
You can do that, but that's most definitely illegal. If you get caught, on top of fines it'll be crushed. Don't mislead people and say you'll have a "US VIN and titled car". You'll have a non-compliant car that you've misled registration on intentionally. People have done this and people have definitely been caught for it.

What if you get a returning US Military member to ship it back with their household goods? That was a scheme that worked before.

Or, find someone in UK to tear it down and sell it as a kit?
They closed that import rule some time ago, it was how a lot of non-compliant vehicles made it in though.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
and in NC, this is a 92 miata... insured and tagged as such. completely legal. my friend who "built" it had a state inspector check it out and say it's good to go because it has original vin and original firewall... I post this because legality of modified cars varies per state...

Attachments

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,128 Posts
3-11 clone is certainly doable, same identical Elise / Exige chassis, different subframe and body.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
3-11 clone is certainly doable, same identical Elise / Exige chassis, different subframe and body.
i do believe the front crash structures differ as well... And I've wondered, since it's a "safe" component that if it is swapped out then it becomes more "grey" area unless the Exige v6 crash structure has been certified for the US. the 2GR is emissions compliant in the US so that isn't an issue with regards to legality of the car. I know NC states for engine swaps, ideally to be 100% it should be same model to same model but they also allow for newer, "better" emissions engines...

so yes, it can be done... is it 100% legal? that's the big debate but I also know that any modification of one's car is done at their own risk and it's up to them look into how legal or illegal it is in their state/country/planet/etc. and then whether or not you will get "caught and busted" for having an illegally modified car, that again is on the owner to decide if they are willing to take that risk.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The state rules control whether or not you'll be able to get a title and plates, but they don't make the car legal. The crash/safety structures and the driveline will be federally non-compliant. Just saying don't tell people it's legal, because it's not. That doesn't mean you won't get away with it, but you better understand the consequences if you do get caught.

There are probably ways to do some funky hybrid where you take the complete driveline from a fully US compliant Evora and create your own Exige V6 without using any actual Exige V6 parts. But all of these things are at best gray market. Plenty of people got in deep trouble doing this with the old Mitsubishi Evo swaps, etc. There's also plenty of them still kicking around. It's a risky game to play, but definitely don't call it legal.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I always wondered how somebody like Hennessy takes a Elige and puts a V8 motor in the back. He has totally changed the rear of the car therefore it no longer has any of the OEM structure that passed the crash testing. How does he get away with it? Also, if you took an Evora chassis and put an Exige body on it, would that be considered compliant? Where is the limit defined of what you can change and not change? It just goes back to the point, wait 25 years and do whatever you want. How does this make the whole process any better?

Just thoughts,
Eldon

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,128 Posts
or we could even refer to a kit car that uses a Fiero chasis....

·
Registered
466 Posts
I thought America was super relaxed about what you could build and modify? The build quality of hotrods and engine swaps ive seen is terrifying.

In NZ we have the LVVTA which is a Low Volume Vehicle certification. Theres a big rule book and you have to have engineers check off your design (if its scratch built) then a certifier checks your work during the build.

Some dumb rules but means you can legally build interesting stuff safely. Example, guys that import Factory 5 cobras have to re weld all the suspension with TIG instead of MIG. Because those are the rules!

For an Elise V6 you could import it and build it up as a LVVTA custom special. You would have to change a bunch of stuff and it would never be called a Lotus.

This is my 'LVVTA 7'

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Yeah it is basically the loophole Hennessy pulled to avoid crash testing the Venom. VIN reads Elise.
I always wondered how somebody like Hennessy takes a Elige and puts a V8 motor in the back. He has totally changed the rear of the car therefore it no longer has any of the OEM structure that passed the crash testing. How does he get away with it? Also, if you took an Evora chassis and put an Exige body on it, would that be considered compliant? Where is the limit defined of what you can change and not change? It just goes back to the point, wait 25 years and do whatever you want. How does this make the whole process any better?

Just thoughts,
Eldon
He kept the original Elise VIN and therefore it was technically a modified Elise. It also seems like they tried very hard for that not to be a common thing said about the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts