The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the new ones are a big no no for import. I want to ask if I can bring the previous model as I like the interior better and some run cheaper in price. I did do some mild research here to check if this question has been asked before but I could not find it.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I thought if they sold the same model here, you could import it. Sort of like if I wanted to import a 2001 BMW 5 series. Since they were sold here, it would be OK.
I could be completely wrong on that, just the way I thought it worked.

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
Ted is correct. Nothing else here is.

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
The "gray market" thing ended, as far as I can tell, in 1988. Seems like can't get those cars (under 25 yrs old) into US now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
@LostPawn is correct. You can "federalize" a car that was sold overseas if a version of the same model was sold in the US.

However, The amount you'd spend making it the exact same as the US spec car, paying import duties, and getting it inspected would rapidly swamp any savings you'd see from buying it in the UK.

Also, the models that would be eligible for import would have the same interior as the fed spec cars. (Not sure what the OP is talking about there.)

·
Registered
952 Posts
I thought if they sold the same model here, you could import it. Sort of like if I wanted to import a 2001 BMW 5 series. Since they were sold here, it would be OK.
I could be completely wrong on that, just the way I thought it worked.
I think there is a process to bring in a car that also has a US spec version. Not sure the cost savings would be worth it though. Found this, no idea on this company but a fair write up on the process US Car Import - We Ship Cars To The USA
This is true if you can get a letter from the manufacturer stating that the specific car in question, meaning the VIN, is of a car that is equal to (same as) the federally compliant cars that were originally imported by the manufacturer.

Lotus will not do this, people have asked.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info. I called Lotus and vehicle does not comply with DOT and EPA regulations:/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts