The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if one can import a 2005 US spec Elise into Canada.

Terry

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Does anybody know if one can import a 2005 US spec Elise into Canada.

Terry
Simple answer: No
There has been some discussion of this that you might be able to uncover with some searches.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
:wave: I know !!

·
Registered
391 Posts
2005 Lotus CANNOT be impoted into Canada privately. None of the Elise or Exige's models can. I went throught the process to try. Transport Canada publishes a list of qualifying cars availible through their web site. The Lotus Elise/Exige is not on the list. Therefore you have to get a letter of compliance to Canadian Standards to have a car not on the list imported into Canada. The 2005 elise requires a different headlight setup. The 2006/2007 Elise requires three modifications. Daytime running lights, Clutch interlock and metric speedo dials. I know, I talked to Lotus USA and Lotus in England. They unnoficially gave me the list of modifications that would be required. What they would not give me and what they will not give anyone is the letter that says that if these modifications are done thery will certify the car to meet Canadian requirements, and without that Transport Canada won't allow the car into the country. What is really happening is Lotus is price protecting the three Canadian dealers from lower priced cars comming in from the U.S. That is not speculation. Asgar form Wiessach in Vancouver told me so. There are three authorised dealers in Canada and they are protected by Lotus. The only Elise/Exige allowed into Canada from the U.S. are track cars that will be used exclusivly for competition and you must get a letter from an approved sanctioning body such as SCCA or SCCBC saying so. Sorry but it has beed tried before. You can probably get the car accross the border on a trailer, perhaps get it across with U.S. plates if you have a U.S. address to register it to and keep the U.S plates for a while however eventually they will catch up and you will have a very pretty driveway queen.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for your held. Foruns are great aren't they.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts