The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum and just looking for an opinion ... Looking at a Lotus Elise 72D at 2 different places that both have around the same mileage and seem to be fairly in the same condition.

1 dealer has it priced about 5k lower but does not have all the accessories, such as collectors helmet, etc.

The other guy has all the accessories but wants about 5-6k more.

My question is, how focused is the Lotus community on collectible items such as these? Will it make a future sale (3-4 years down the line) that much more difficult or are people happy to just have the car? Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE all the extras, (helmet, case, duffel bags, cover), but I don't know if it really bumps the value up by 5-6k.

Just looking for opinions ... Thanks!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Hello all, new to the forum and just looking for an opinion ... Looking at a Lotus Elise 72D at 2 different places that both have around the same mileage and seem to be fairly in the same condition.

1 dealer has it priced about 5k lower but does not have all the accessories, such as collectors helmet, etc.

The other guy has all the accessories but wants about 5-6k more.

My question is, how focused is the Lotus community on collectible items such as these? Will it make a future sale (3-4 years down the line) that much more difficult or are people happy to just have the car? Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE all the extras, (helmet, case, duffel bags, cover), but I don't know if it really bumps the value up by 5-6k.

Just looking for opinions ... Thanks!
It certainly wouldn't be worth the extra cash for the accessories for me, but I'm not a huge fan of the Lotus "special" editions, as they're usually just color schemes that I'm not after anyway.

San

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Unless your going to “park the car” in storage for the next 20 years as an investment I don’t think it matters if you have all the “goodies”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless your going to “park the car” in storage for the next 20 years as an investment I don’t think it matters if you have all the “goodies”.
Lol no it's definitely going to get its use in. Ok I'm glad to hear that not too many would seem so focused on the goodies. That's pretty much unanimously what I have heard since I began posing this question. Thanks

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
the price premium for the "goodies" is not justified. The car is what matters. If the "goodies" have a real history i.e. from some one important or from an important event then they can stand as a separate sale otherwise they are just curiosities.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
As you are getting the jist.....no those aren't worth the extra $5-6k unless you are a collector yourself and want to keep the car as such. Since you stated you give two hoots about it and will be driving the car...pocket the cash if the cars are equal in condition. A guy in my area has a 72, its cool but not worth the extra duckets for the livery to me.

Reactions: Jljordann922

·
Registered
24 Posts
These cars (Elise and Exige) themselves are quite rare, which is why I don't think the "special editions" are worth that much more. It's similar to the Alfa Romeo 4C. ~2,000 of them in the US, and 500 of them were launch editions, it doesn't really affect the price much if at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts