The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
imo i'd buy a top here, on the forum, and get it painted. You have to paint it anyway - might as well keep it truly original. Besides, that new fangled top might not leak as much. Real Lotus tops leak, and a potential buyer (if you ever sell) will notice your water tight car and shy away immediately noting this deficiency..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Eliseshop offered me to paint it...

I'm also not soon to be ready to sell my car, i just begining to enjoy it! :)

I would love to buy one from here, but i can't get my hands on one...

imo i'd buy a top here, on the forum, and get it painted. You have to paint it anyway - might as well keep it truly original. Besides, that new fangled top might not leak as much. Real Lotus tops leak, and a potential buyer (if you ever sell) will notice your water tight car and shy away immediately noting this deficiency..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
rotfl

·
Registered
780 Posts
A friend in the UK located a top for my Elise a few years back. Looked into shipping it here. UPS wanted almost $900. Consolidated into a container brought the cost down to $500 (plus almost $200 for the expediter to do the customs paperwork and a six month wait.) Friend finally brought it over on Northwest as accompanied baggage, they unpacked it in customs, didn't bother to repack it, threw it in the baggage compartment unwrapped, knocked off three corners and crushed the center, then said they were not responsible because it was oversize baggage. My advice, buy one here and have it painted to match.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i'd sell you mine, but i made a coffee table out of it. Who knew??

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
WTF??:thwack:
don't like hard tops. can't stand the idea or reality of driving around in a "can". If the Elise had been sold as hardtop only coupe car, i never would have considered the purchase. A hardtop is only good for maybe one thing. Winter storage in a non-heated environment. Or upside down as a snowpan in the winter, or a basis for a coffee table. Come on - all this is obvious. Black Mamba is correct - this place was lousy with hardtops for sale a month ago. It will come around again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Elise Hardtop

I bought one for my S1 Elise from a dealer in the UK. I forget who that was right now. I've also purchased parts from EliseParts with no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Just be patient and I'm sure you will find an original Lotus hard top on here.
What he said, look off season and you'll find one. I see them for sale EVERY year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
don't like hard tops. can't stand the idea or reality of driving around in a "can". If the Elise had been sold as hardtop only coupe car, i never would have considered the purchase. A hardtop is only good for maybe one thing. Winter storage in a non-heated environment. Or upside down as a snowpan in the winter, or a basis for a coffee table. Come on - all this is obvious. Black Mamba is correct - this place was lousy with hardtops for sale a month ago. It will come around again.
Well, a member of the "anti-Exige" brigade?? A "Can" you say?! Well, a container perhaps, but NOT a "CAN"? Cans are metal and, sir, my Exige is plastic, held together with spit and chewing gum, just like your Elise. What happened to that "nice guy" I met in Kansas City earlier this year? BTW, a coffee table??? A good steaming cup of coffee would melt your wobbly-ass coffee table.... Now, speak no further ill of the mighty mite Elige.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Well, a member of the "anti-Exige" brigade?? A "Can" you say?! Well, a container perhaps, but NOT a "CAN"? Cans are metal and, sir, my Exige is plastic, held together with spit and chewing gum, just like your Elise. What happened to that "nice guy" I met in Kansas City earlier this year? BTW, a coffee table??? A good steaming cup of coffee would melt your wobbly-ass coffee table.... Now, speak no further ill of the mighty mite Elige.

Yea , what he said??? At the track, they seem to want hardtops on the Spec Miatas and I, too want my hardtop on!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Not at all - love the Exige - with the removeable roof kit.:) I have much respect for the car and all of our drivers. It's just that since '96, coming from my Miata, i have only been happy with open air motoring. Just a hard and fast preference. That said, I'm pretty sure the cars are faster with the tops on. And if I tracked, I'm sure they would be required. And my coffee table is not wobbly ass. But it does leak if you spill....

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Yea , what he said??? At the track, they seem to want hardtops on the Spec Miatas and I, too want my hardtop on!
i'd do a hardtop at the track, not for safety, but better aerodynamics/speed. I mean, we don't go to the track to go slower, now do we?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts