The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've just been posted out to the US and have had to leave my Elise back in the UK :(

It's a K series S2 Sports Tourer. What are the regulations / issues if I want to ship it out to the US, possibly Pittsburgh.

Does anyone in the New Jersey have an Elise yet, so I can get my fix :D

Thanks

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
As a resident alien in the US you can import any foreign manufactured car for one year, at the end of that term it HAS to be reexported.

A number of recent elise owners in NJ here.
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
409 Posts
ajp33 said:
Hi guys,

I've just been posted out to the US and have had to leave my Elise back in the UK :(

It's a K series S2 Sports Tourer. What are the regulations / issues if I want to ship it out to the US, possibly Pittsburgh.

Does anyone in the New Jersey have an Elise yet, so I can get my fix :D

Thanks
You can bring it in on your European registration for up to a year. Registering it in the U.S. will be very difficult since the K series doesn't pass our smog check.

You'd probably have better luck selling the K series and importing the new version from Holland ;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd heard I was allowed to bring it over for a year, but was wondering if there is anyway around this time limit. It seems a shame to sell the car now as it is pretty mint, and has lost most of the depreciation it ever will ! Heck I've only done 3000 miles in the last 2 years !!! SHocking I know !!!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Maplecrest in Summit (Union County) is having a Lotus show next weekend, so you could meet some local Lotus owners.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
ajp33 said:
I'd heard I was allowed to bring it over for a year, but was wondering if there is anyway around this time limit.
There might be, I'm not sure. After one year, you have to take it out of the country. I'm not sure if there's any minimum amount of time that you must wait before taking it back IN to the US for yet another year...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd sort of heard something along those lines, and I imagine it's a bit of a grey area. Is there anywhere I can contact to find out more ? I'm just not sure who to contact.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Faisal who's got a built up motorsport elise has that and other exotic cars in San Fran area, I'm pretty sure he said it could only come in for one year and was in no way renewable.

Chris

·
Registered
223 Posts
A bit OT, but what about a Renault officially sold in Mexico, would it be possible to register it in the US? thx.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts