The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I am new at posting to this group, but I am seeking advice. I just purchased an '84 Lotus Excel/Eclat about 2-weeks ago on Ebay.UK. I had a friend there collect & store the car for me. It is a beauty! Anyway, in January it will quality for import to the USA as an historic vehicle. I live in York, PA, so I intend to have it shipped into port at Baltimore. Anyone been through this exercise before? I would appreciate your suggestions on reputable importers and things to watch out for.

Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Many years ago I used to import classic British cars to the U.S. I used a reputable UK automotive shipping broker and simply took delivery of the car at the destination port. In theory it is no big deal, but one suggestion is to fit a locking gas cap, I had problems :shrug:
Michael

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hello all:

I am new at posting to this group, but I am seeking advice. I just purchased an '84 Lotus Excel/Eclat about 2-weeks ago on Ebay.UK. I had a friend there collect & store the car for me. It is a beauty! Anyway, in January it will quality for import to the USA as an historic vehicle. I live in York, PA, so I intend to have it shipped into port at Baltimore. Anyone been through this exercise before? I would appreciate your suggestions on reputable importers and things to watch out for.

Thanks, Jerry
Yes give us a call and I will point you in the right direction. Some time in the morning say about 9.00 MT

Terry

403-347-3117
Red Deer Alberta
Mountain Time

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
So here's a question...........

My understanding was that these cars could only come over to the US if "historical significance" could be established. The Excel would be a tough one where as something like a Lotus Omega/ Carlton would be easier. My question then is this importation allowed only because of age? If not, can a newer Excel be imported legally ( I know of at least one that made it here by some means)? And lastly, if this can be done, and with the knowledge that a Lotus Omega made it to LOG this year, how would one go about importing such a vehicle (either an Excel SE or Omega)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts