The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Brands Hatch Circuit on Monday with SELOC, and got to ride in several different cars (couldnt drive though, because stupid track wouldnt let me with a US license :(). Anyway, despite the sky falling and a MGF pissing oil all over the track, making people wish they didnt have A048 tires on their cars, I still got a pretty good feel of the different cars and their driving capabilities.

Here are the cars:
S1 Sport 160
S1 Honda conversion (220bhp 6-speed)
S2 135R with 160bhp
Exige (drool)
Noble M12 GTO-3 (Just for fun :D)

S1 was super fun...felt like a real race car. It was uncomfortable as hell, but made up for it in fun-factor. Stiff suspension, handled superbly on the track. Easy to push back end out, but partially because it was wet.

S1 honda conversion: Was very noticeably faster and a lot more torque. Kind of scary amounf of torque for a wet track. I think this will be most similar to our cars...a lot of high-end torque might make wet conditions a bit more scary.

S2 135R: This car was fast! I believe we will have a very similar car to the 135R, but with more hp. This car was a pleasure to ride in on the track...comfortable, smooth, and fun fun fun. Definetly a lot more plushy than the S1s. I can see why the S2 has become such a daily driver. It's comfy, yet drives like a real race car. I give it a 10.

Exige: Cancel my deposit, I want an exige!!! I hope that a) the new exige is just as good if not better than the S1, and b) that they bring them into the states. I made the guy drive me out on the track 3 times with his car. I liked it THAT much. It handled like it was on rails, it had all the sounds and looks of a real sports car, and it was fast. Me likes!!! Sigh!

Noble: Hot damn, that's a sick car! The sound of the turbo wooshing and the engine wailing, it was sweet. Unfortunetly, wet track was not as nice to this car with nearly slick tires and a lot more weight than the elise. I'm sure in the dry, this car would kick butt! Below I have attached a pic with me riding passenger.

Anyway, these cars handle near perfect on the track. I have spent thousands of dollars preping my celi for track days, and my car STILL doesnt handle even near as good as these cars. I am sooooooo excited to get my elise, and I cant wait to get her on the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Thanks for the report. From what I understand, add the LSS package & you'll have a S2 Exige w/o the body work. ;) Nobles are nice, then again it's x2 the price of the Lotus.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The noble is about 330bhp now... and 875Kg IIRC. It feels like a big elise - I drove one flat out at mallory park race circuit summer last year.

Phew!

Craigy

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Craigy said:
The noble is about 330bhp now... and 875Kg IIRC. It feels like a big elise - I drove one flat out at mallory park race circuit summer last year.

Phew!

Craigy
Super jealous Craigy! That must have been a serious rush!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The Noble is offered in the States- as a kit car. Talked to a company durning the summer the twin turbo V-6 puts out 350hp, however it's track only. The street legal uses a 4cyl.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The AP calipers went off after 4 laps - that was worrying because I was using them to go from 130mph to about 90mph on the entry to turn 1. There was about 20 feet of grass for a runoff area, then a barrier.

Talk about a rush? try lifting off in a turbocharged car at 100mph and feeling the back drift when you know the engine has a lot of lag!

:eek:

Craigy

ps. When do you fly back to the US? I've got a friend who's starting his postdoc work in Oxford in January so I'll be around a lot.

·
Registered
637 Posts
LarryB said:
The Noble is offered in the States- as a kit car. Talked to a company durning the summer the twin turbo V-6 puts out 350hp, however it's track only. The street legal uses a 4cyl.
The noble I drove (which I think was an M10 GTO) had a 2.5L v6.

The newer car (road legal in the UK) has 340bhp.

I guess the disparity in power is in the fact that as a track car they can probably remove the cats from the US version.

Craigy

some links:
The factory - http://www.noblecars.com
One of the Dealers - http://www.mole-valley.co.uk/page.php?cid=11

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Fairly accurate report.

Regarding the Exige - the S2 Exige will be much heavier. My Exige weighs around 1700lbs. This is the weight of S2 111S cars. The S1 111S was lighter than this and the 190S was down around 1550lbs. So, the S2 Exige (if it came to the states) would weigh somewhere over 2100lbs.

Weight is the enemy with these cars - passengers make a huge difference in lap times (2-3 seconds on a 1:35 track).

Wedgie - now you know why I didn't spend all the money on my S2000 - it wouldn't have been as good or as fun.

Larry - an Exige is not just a S1 with a better suspension. Real downforce is created. This makes a big difference at speed.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
meat,

If I ever made it to Chicago, do you think I could take your exige out for a lap or two? I've never been so happy to be a passenger in a car in my life. I cant even begin to imagine how fun it is to drive.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The aero package will help at high speeds. Something you've noted at speed, still getting a fair amount of front end lift. While it importation, think we can agree it's the lower speed handling we're most interested in & spend most of our time with. Not much we can do about the weight difference. :(

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
MW - I'll let you drive it under controlled conditions.... :)

Larry - The Exige generates real (not reduced lift). At 100mph it generates 40kgs of downforce up front and 60kgs in the rear. That's over 220lbs of real downforce at speed.

One of the S1's biggest issues was with the twitchy rear-end. The Exige solved these problems. They say the S2 is not as twitchy as the S1, so I would assume that the S2 Exige will be rock solid at speed.

My point with the weight is that Euro mags were saying the S2 Exige was faster at Hethel than the S1. It should be because the S2 suspension has been upgraded and it was wearing A048's vs the S1 A039's. The car is heavier, has ABS and the spirit of the car isn't there (the S1 Exige was the roadgoing version of the Motorsport Elise). Needless to say, I'm not that thrilled with the S2 Exige.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts