The Lotus Cars Community banner

Improved / easier connection of the battery charger on the Evora........

1586 14
I do not like to open and close the tailgate every time to connect the Optimate Lithium Battery Charger.....
While thereafter the cable is clamped between body and tailgate.

I prefer an outside connection on the Evora.
I mounted a good female plug in the tail grille.
I choose one op the openings of the grille and filed it broader to accept the female plug.
The male plug of course was connected to the battery charger.
The original battery loading connection in the boot was extended with an electric cable to the female plug.
The routing of the cable was very easy from the boot via a rubber cable routing body plug of the camera/licence lights/buzzers and then down directly to the female plug.
Not any drilling necessary!
The connection on the car is pretty well hidden.
Standing behind the Evora at a 10-15 feet distance you can not notice the female plug lid.

Tip: to find the cable route downwards, insert an extra long tie-wrap in the opening of the rubber cable routing body plug..........poke a little around up and down and sideways and you see the pointy part of the tie-wrap appear just above the exhaust

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No extra fuse because there was already a fuse between the battery plus pole and the Optimate charger cable......
If not I would have installed a fuse between charger and battery.
It is not absolute necessary but safer to install one.
I have 3 cars + motorcycle, each equipped with this provision.........they are always charged perfectly.

·
Premium Member
9,688 Posts
You will eventually fry the wiring in that position. Extremely hot in that location esp after a hard run.

Reactions: stroem and TJBNJ

·
Registered
2021 Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you have to remove the bumper for this?
No, not necessary.......everything was kept in place........only pay some attention for the best routing of the 12 v cable as previously described................you will find your way / solution.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,700 Posts
There is another thread in here on this topic with pics and instructions.

There are 2 good other location options.
1 up near the backup camera.
2. On the front left bolt of the undertray with a 3D printed mount.

Both are good locations and easy to install. By the cam is ergonomically easier to plug in. Undetray gets you down on 1 knee to plug in but will nicely auto-unplug if you forget to when you back up (I've runover 1 battery tender by getting too excited to drive forgetting to unplug myself).

I went for undertray solution and am SO much happier than the trunk lid method. The 3D printed bee hive mount works great (see thingaverse.com "Evora")

They really need an external charging port from the factory!!

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Bicycle part Rim

Automotive tire Grey Audio equipment Wood Gadget

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is another thread in here on this topic with pics and instructions.

There are 2 good other location options.
1 up near the backup camera.
2. On the front left bolt of the undertray with a 3D printed mount.

Both are good locations and easy to install. By the cam is ergonomically easier to plug in. Undetray gets you down on 1 knee to plug in but will nicely auto-unplug if you forget to when you back up (I've runover 1 battery tender by getting too excited to drive forgetting to unplug myself).

I went for undertray solution and am SO much happier than the trunk lid method. The 3D printed bee hive mount works great (see thingaverse.com "Evora")

They really need an external charging port from the factory!!

View attachment 1328832

View attachment 1328833

View attachment 1328834
Do you happen to have a file or know of who to purchase the 3D printed under tray mount? I’m looking to do the same and love to either purchase a printed piece or have one printed.
Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,700 Posts
It's owner made so not for sale anywhere. Here is the link to Thingaverse.com with an "Evora" search. Search Thingiverse - Thingiverse

Once printed (luckily by my neighbor) I trimmed one corner rounded and sanded it a bit. I spray painted an exterior clear coat just for extra protection as it gets blasted with water and sand. The Hethelsport magnetic kit fit awesome.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Composite material Auto part

Now you get to befriend someone with a small 3D printer.

Reactions: AP1Evora
1 - 15 of 15 Posts