The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a rough week already. We had been suffereing from poor humor due to lack of communication, transport issues, 'gift' cars, the list goes on. Spirits tanked when the increased MSRP was released and we all know what's been going on since then.
There is little more to be said about the MSRP thinggy, but I'd like to propose the following:
Take a deep breath and remember the car
--how gracious and stunning it looks
--how big the smile on your face was when you first saw one
--how much bigger that smile got when you slid on the seat and wrapped your fingers around the steering wheel.
--how cool it was to reach over and press the starter button and hear the lump spin to life
--how it tucks down and leaps forward
--how the second cam feels like a kick
--how it hugs the road and settles into a corner.
I've seen this car once and driven it only once, sedately at that. I still get a grin on my face when I think of it and how I'm in line to get one. How cool is that?
--How cool is it to be able to beat the pants off a heavily modded Porsche at the next track meet with a barebone stock car that cost less?
--How cool is it to get a piece of technology where I don't have to upgrade squat? I can only think of one other toy like that, my Ducati. I don't have the urge to change anything on it, it's just right as is.
--How cool is it to get a competitor to the high and mighty, when I'm not a trust fund baby and don't have daddy's hand me down Ferrari, etc.
Yeah, it's been a rough week, there has been a price increase, no I'm not thrilled about it, but it's not the end of the world. This is not a battle to right all the wrongs in the world by trying to 'fix' Lotus and make them 'behave.'
Take a deep breath and imagine that smile, imagine how you're going to get a cardiac workout driving it, imagine how tranquil your mind will feel after a simple cruise. Try to put a price on that.
Cheers,

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I have always regarded the car as a non-essential, luxury item. It's just a car, but that might not be such a popular view, even though automotive hobbies tend to be full of passion. Maybe to some it is a lifelong dream, a way of promoting their business, a way of life, something to boost self-esteem, etc.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Vantage said:
I have always regarded the car as a non-essential, luxury item. It's just a car, but that might not be such a popular view, even though automotive hobbies tend to be full of passion. Maybe to some it is a lifelong dream, a way of promoting their business, a way of life, something to boost self-esteem, etc.
Legs crossed, index finger and thumb gently pressed together, eyes closed.....

Visualize the Elise. Deep breath... deep breath.....

ok.. cool. Much better now. That, and I cancelled the StarShield.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just wondering what is the decision process to decide on dropping the condom (sorry clear bra)? Are you guys planning on a respray? The reason I ask is that I am leaning to join the unprotected crowd.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I had placed a price on that: it was $47,000. Too much to spend for a car, but I decided that I'm worth it. Now Lotus wants me to pay $48,000. So I get to kick in $1000 in exchange for nothing. I could do a lot of other things with that money.

This is very similar to the situation when Symbolic decided to move me down their waiting list. Nothing I could do about it, and it didn't hurt me that much, but it still was wrong. So is this.

Sorry to rain on your Lotus lovefest, but I'm fed up with the company. I really don't care whether they succeed or fail. Once I get my car, I will be done with them. If people ask who makes Lotus, I plan to tell them it is a division of Ferrari. If the letters fall off the back end, great, I don't care to advertise for Lotus.

I think that Lotus has vastly underestimated the power of word-of-mouth advertising. Your customers are ambassadors for your product. Chris and Randy and some others may sing your praises to people, but many of us won't. Lotus, you have converted me from someone who was planning to gush about the car to his friends, casual acquaintance, etc., to someone who will say great car, terrible company. And I will make it a point not to purchase any products that will add extra profit into your pockets.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
agent.5 said:
Just wondering what is the decision process to decide on dropping the condom (sorry clear bra)? Are you guys planning on a respray? The reason I ask is that I am leaning to join the unprotected crowd.
It's just a car. Things happen over time. Things will happen that the StarShield can't prevent. My Miata is 15 years old, and it's numerous dings don't affect my enjoyment of the car. The front end does get beat up and I do have a lot of little chips on the hood, but so what? Accept that the car will accumulate some bruises over time and learn to live with them. If it gets too bad, repaint in a few years and add protection then.

Despite these feelings, I had decided to go with the StarShield. However, since Lotus doesn't give a damn about me as a customer, I don't give a damn about them. I refuse to put extra $$ into their pockets.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Don't forget that in 2 years, the Elise will change very dramatically. The 2007 spy shots in C&D appear to show a Vauxhall/Opel type car. That isn't necessarily a bad thing...but it may not be the tiny lightweight like the present car. Talk about potential collectability if the 2007 is not better than the present car. I'm not talking about magazine test numbers, I'm talking about feel, control and the single purpose nature. Undiluted.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
jml1952 said:
Chris and Randy and some others may sing your praises to people, but many of us won't.
Just curious... and don't take this the wrong way. Do you really see me as someone that sings the praises of Lotus?

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
jml1952 said:
Despite these feelings, I had decided to go with the StarShield. However, since Lotus doesn't give a damn about me as a customer, I don't give a damn about them. I refuse to put extra $$ into their pockets.
I called asked my dealer yesterday if they had their own installer for protective film. They do, and pricing is basically the same as pricing from Lotus. I'm going to go that route as to avoid giving Lotus any more of my money than I have to... you should consider the same if protective film is something you want.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jml1952 said:
I had placed a price on that: it was $47,000. Too much to spend for a car, but I decided that I'm worth it. Now Lotus wants me to pay $48,000. So I get to kick in $1000 in exchange for nothing. I could do a lot of other things with that money.

This is very similar to the situation when Symbolic decided to move me down their waiting list. Nothing I could do about it, and it didn't hurt me that much, but it still was wrong. So is this.

I don't disagree with you one bit. For the record, this is not a Lotus lovefest. This was my attempt at a deep breath to personally make it easier for me to deal with things and it worked. I felt that it might help others. I'm not happy about paying more, but I'd like to point one thing out. Perhaps my relatively tranquil time with my dealer, who has been a decent human being has not left such a hard taste of bile in my mouth as your dealer has. Perhaps that has helped me deal a bit better. I don't know squat about Symbolic aside from what I read here, they sound a lot like the dealer in Miami, i.e. people who wouldn't get my business. Maybe, we're jaded in midwest by living in a place where there are no social pressures of a very expensive cost of living and a very large bling crowd. This would prevent the dealer from capitalizing like those guys. Then again maybe what they say about midwest people is true.

I'm sorry that your dealer is screwing you and it sucks. As a member of this community I'd be right there supporting you picket the place should you want to protest their poor behavior. That word of mouth advertising should go against that dealer's behavior far more than it should agains the company. Now, if Lotus lets its dealers continue to run amok and rape the customers then they are as much to blame. I for one am willing to give them a chance to grow up and deal with things.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
I called asked my dealer yesterday if they had their own installer for protective film. They do, and pricing is basically the same as pricing from Lotus. I'm going to go that route as to avoid giving Lotus any more of my money than I have to... you should consider the same if protective film is something you want.

Will it make a difference to the insurance company if an accident occured and a claim is filed, whether the condom is factory installed and is priced on the invoice or is an after-market addition?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Just curious... and don't take this the wrong way. Do you really see me as someone that sings the praises of Lotus?
Randy - You have been a long-time advocate for Lotus and the Elise and started up this forum, so in that sense I view you as "singing their praises". And it seems to me as if you have often supported and defended or rationalized Lotus' actions, although I appreciate that you are critical of the timing of the price increase. I probably shouldn't have lumped you with Lotus-can-do-no-wrong Chris (no offense, Chris, but take off your Ardent Red colored glasses and look at what's going on here). Sorry if that offended you.

I probably need a timeout. I have been trying to give Lotus the benefit of the doubt, and the knowledge that my car is on the way was helping me adjust my attitude toward the positive side of things, but the way this price increase is being applied upsets me. I'll get over it, but all of these things leave a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I keep trying to just tell people what I know... in the bounds of what I am allowed to say. And stay as factual as can be. Correcting things that people say I know are incorrect.

I don't recall stating that Lotus can do no wrong. I have not even said the car is worth it, have I?

So no.. I don't see me as praising much of anything lately. I am just trying to help out as I can here.

Starting a forum does not make one a fan. Seen Nazz lately?

I advocate for all sportscars really. And in many cases, I will tell people that they are better off with an S2000 or some other car.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
jml1952 said:
I probably shouldn't have lumped you with Lotus-can-do-no-wrong Chris (no offense, Chris, but take off your Ardent Red colored glasses and look at what's going on here). Sorry if that offended you.

jml, give me a break, if you were concerned about offending me you wouldn't have said it, call a spade a spade, and yes I do find it a bit offensive, but certainly nothing that I can't live with.
Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
jml, give me a break, if you were concerned about offending me you wouldn't have said it, call a spade a spade, and yes I do find it a bit offensive, but certainly nothing that I can't live with.
Chris
Sorry, poor syntax. The don't be offended part actually was directed at Randy. But I don't really want to offend you, either, Chris.

You have your car and I don't. I've been pushed around by Lotus and my dealer and I'm pissed. I've tried to overlook some of the things that have been going on, and have suggested on various occasions that we cut Lotus some slack. Then this price increase is announced.

I'm fed up and need a target. Your cheerleading and enthusiasm have been great most of the time. But this is not the time, in my opinion, to try to defend Lotus' actions. It's irritating and just pours fuel on the fire. So I lashed out at you, when really I want to kill someone at Lotus. Sorry, it was inappropriate.

I suspect that once I get my car, much of this anger will fade. I also suspect that I won't need this forum as much, so I probably will become more of a lurker than a poster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts