The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Wow, that was interesting, I would sure like to have seen what was going on during the commercial breaks !

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The dude just climbed several notches in my estimation.

That was awesome -- totally bitch-slapped the Crossfire fluffers, and stayed on-message the entire time.

"When Talk Show Hosts go bad.."

Right on.

·
Registered
513 Posts
:clap:

NICE!! I'm glad someone finally came on and said it - I'm glad he didn't take it easy on them either.

I missed him on the O'Reilly factor - I think that woulda been very interesting. One of the best liberal minds vs. a very respected conservative.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Graydon said:
One of the best liberal minds vs. a very respected conservative.
I don't think of him as a liberal. I see him like myself, a moderate. The perception that he is a liberal lies in the fact that both Democrats and Republicans are both schewed far to the conservative currently. The problem is that we've been so force feed as to what conservative and liberal is now a days that we just start name calling and there seems to be no middle of the road. Most people are so disinclined to believe that there is a middle of the road and that if there is a middle of the road it must be avoided because it must be bad because it's not what (insert name of favorite political hack here) says is ok. It's like living in the middle of two facist societies, either you're a liberal facist or a conservative facist.

But think about it this way: Are you a true liberal or conservative? Or you believe parts of one and parts of the other? People are more sophisticated than to be 100% one or the other.

I also think that part of what he was trying to say is that the "Media" as a whole has done such a worthless job in the last few years. I watched some post debate talk on CNN and they had the daughters of Kerry and Bush on. What the absolute hell qualifies a couple of college students to speak to the nation on the qualities of presidential candidates that they are related to? Do you really expect anything that's even close to unbiased? As the saying goes - Never ask a barber is you need a haircut. By asking people with a DEEP interest in one side of a question you should expect an extremely biased answer, no matter what.

It's sort of the same as to shows like Crossfire/Hardball etc. You see extremist points of view on those shows and NO ONE ever says anything that isn't a sound bite or "Talking Point" They're so predictiable as to be laughable. JS kept saying that the show was Theatre because the entire show is basicly scripted with canned answers and no real debate. Theatre sells advertising, real debate doesn't.

For example: Last week there was a story on the BBC about how political parties are getting people to sign up for absentee ballots and then buying them from the voters. Do you expect to see anything like that in the American media? Or the Diebold voting machine situation - little or no press coverage and what coverage there is usually is about how everything's fine and dandy. Yet people have proven that with little effort that votes can be changed without any record of the change being made.

Welcome to America - we believe fantasy, not reality...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
You're right on, IMO, Lotus Fury :clap:

These boxes that we've been coerced into thinking of things, Liberal or Conservative etc. it's very confining really. In Europe as I believe most of the rest of the world, political thought is much more nuanced and more range is accepted if not encouraged.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
I don't think of him as a liberal. I see him like myself, a moderate. The perception that he is a liberal lies in the fact that both Democrats and Republicans are both schewed far to the conservative currently. The problem is that we've been so force feed as to what conservative and liberal is now a days that we just start name calling and there seems to be no middle of the road. Most people are so disinclined to believe that there is a middle of the road and that if there is a middle of the road it must be avoided because it must be bad because it's not what (insert name of favorite political hack here) says is ok. It's like living in the middle of two facist societies, either you're a liberal facist or a conservative facist.
I see your point, but I called him a liberal because he takes the liberal position on most issues. Perhaps I am guilty of labeling him when he may not be a true liberal on every issue, but I don't think he's a moderate when he takes mostly liberal positions (which, by the way, I tend to agree with him on most of the issues he addresses).

But think about it this way: Are you a true liberal or conservative? Or you believe parts of one and parts of the other? People are more sophisticated than to be 100% one or the other.

I also think that part of what he was trying to say is that the "Media" as a whole has done such a worthless job in the last few years. I watched some post debate talk on CNN and they had the daughters of Kerry and Bush on. What the absolute hell qualifies a couple of college students to speak to the nation on the qualities of presidential candidates that they are related to? Do you really expect anything that's even close to unbiased? As the saying goes - Never ask a barber is you need a haircut. By asking people with a DEEP interest in one side of a question you should expect an extremely biased answer, no matter what.

It's sort of the same as to shows like Crossfire/Hardball etc. You see extremist points of view on those shows and NO ONE ever says anything that isn't a sound bite or "Talking Point" They're so predictiable as to be laughable. JS kept saying that the show was Theatre because the entire show is basicly scripted with canned answers and no real debate. Theatre sells advertising, real debate doesn't.

For example: Last week there was a story on the BBC about how political parties are getting people to sign up for absentee ballots and then buying them from the voters. Do you expect to see anything like that in the American media? Or the Diebold voting machine situation - little or no press coverage and what coverage there is usually is about how everything's fine and dandy. Yet people have proven that with little effort that votes can be changed without any record of the change being made.

Welcome to America - we believe fantasy, not reality...
Well said. Stewart does call out the media as much or more so than either side, and needless to say the news media is quite a joke. Some things I would never have really thought about had he not pointed them out. As for Crossfire/Hardball - they are a joke and are excruciating to watch, which is why I prefer Crossballs. :p

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Graydon said:

I missed him on the O'Reilly factor - I think that woulda been very interesting. One of the best liberal minds vs. a very respected conservative.
very respected conservative? :confused: :eek:

O'Reilly's a tool and always has been

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
"O'Reilly" and "respect" in the same sentence. I don't think so. What a slimeball Bill O'Reilly is.

Or, as Al Franken calls him, Bill O-Lie-ly.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
some of his points were valid but in general i think he is full of **** and basically contradicted himself.

His argument is that he gets a free pass because he is entertainment but crossfire is news. But then he goes on to say how crossfire is entertainment (making fun of the bowtie, etc).

Why does Jon Stewart get to decide what is entertainment and what is news? Where do we draw the line? And to say that the line is clear because one is CNN and the other is Com Central seems reasonable but just isn't true anymore. There are plenty of people whose opinions have been swayed because of shows like the Daily Show. Should Dennis Miller be considered to have more integrity than Bill Maher because he is on CNBC instead of HBO?

How about this for a conundrum. One of the two shows mentioned in the clip had Kerry as a guest, one did not. Jon Stewart on his "entertainment" show is able to get someone like Kerry to come on, but the Crossfire guys on their "news" show are not. Is that right? Who really has the responsibility here?

The bottom line is that they are ALL entertainment and they ALL have a responsibility to the public.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Funny stuff...

The best part was towards the end where the guy wearing the bow tie made a pathetic attempt at humor and sat there laughing at his own "joke" hoping others would join in :p

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
offroadr35 said:
Why does Jon Stewart get to decide what is entertainment and what is news?
He's not saying what is news versus entertainment except for his fake show versus what claims to be a "real show". That's because The Daily Show isn't news. They may cover topical subjects but it's as real as The Onion (onion.com). Have you seen the show? It makes fun of everything. It showed a few weeks ago a clip about the Cooter Festival - a Cooter is a turtle, amonst other things ;). It also had a clip about republican punk rockers. It's not real news at all. They make things up and admit to it, unlike a real news organization.

Part of what he was saying is if someone famous says something the public tends to just take it at face value. It is the RESPONSIBILITY of news organizations to check what they said is true before they print it. It is their right and priviledge to call out people that are telling a lie. That why they are there. But now the news media isn't doing anything other than regurgitating what the political parties are saying.

And if you don't like someone or what they say you will see all sorts of problems with what they say. You're more critical of people you dislike than with those you do. If you support one presidential candidate alot then everything the other one says will be a lie or just spin regardless of what they say. But if your candidate says something it must be true. We, as voters, need to question everything BOTH candidates say. To not would to just put blind faith in someome. And how many presidential scandels do we need to have before realize that even presidents aren't above corruption.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
He's not saying what is news versus entertainment except for his fake show versus what claims to be a "real show". That's because The Daily Show isn't news. They may cover topical subjects but it's as real as The Onion (onion.com). Have you seen the show? It makes fun of everything. It showed a few weeks ago a clip about the Cooter Festival - a Cooter is a turtle, amonst other things ;). It also had a clip about republican punk rockers. It's not real news at all. They make things up and admit to it, unlike a real news organization.

Part of what he was saying is if someone famous says something the public tends to just take it at face value. It is the RESPONSIBILITY of news organizations to check what they said is true before they print it. It is their right and priviledge to call out people that are telling a lie. That why they are there. But now the news media isn't doing anything other than regurgitating what the political parties are saying.

And if you don't like someone or what they say you will see all sorts of problems with what they say. You're more critical of people you dislike than with those you do. If you support one presidential candidate alot then everything the other one says will be a lie or just spin regardless of what they say. But if your candidate says something it must be true. We, as voters, need to question everything BOTH candidates say. To not would to just put blind faith in someome. And how many presidential scandels do we need to have before realize that even presidents aren't above corruption.
except his show isn't a "fake" news show. They report real news and just make jokes about it. He has every bit as much responsibility. He makes no bones about being a democrat and hating the current administration. For the last 2 years his show has gone from making fun of both sides equally to making fun of the republicans 90/10.

The bottom line is that he is forming public opinion, as ridiculous as that may be. He is most likely playing a much bigger role in the forming of public opinion than Crossfire, which gives him at least as much, if not more, responsibility as the people he is chastising. That makes him a hypocrit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
for some reason, when i click on the links the video doesn't play. nor does the "click here for help" works :(

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
offroadr35 said:
For the last 2 years his show has gone from making fun of both sides equally to making fun of the republicans 90/10.

Err, um, perhaps it's because the Repubs are making 90% of the mistakes. W IS someone easy to make fun of too.

I make no bones about neither being a democrat nor republican (guess I'm just an American) and I hate the current administration. Or is it against the law now to hate the current administration. Will Homeland Defence be knocking on my door now. Free speech seems to be OK as long as it's Pro-Bush, pro-republican. Sheesh.

Chris;)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Err, um, perhaps it's because the Repubs are making 90% of the mistakes. W IS someone easy to make fun of too.

I make no bones about neither being a democrat nor republican (guess I'm just an American) and I hate the current administration. Or is it against the law now to hate the current administration. Will Homeland Defence be knocking on my door now. Free speech seems to be OK as long as it's Pro-Bush, pro-republican. Sheesh.

Chris;)
It's perfectly acceptable to pick a party and support it. You just can't do so and then deny it and chastize others for doing it. That is hypocricy.

I think Jon Stewart is a super funny guy. I just don't think he made a very convincing point in this appearance and instead just appeared arrogant, ignorant and hypocritical to me.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
offroadr35 said:
except his show isn't a "fake" news show. They report real news and just make jokes about it. He has every bit as much responsibility. He makes no bones about being a democrat and hating the current administration. For the last 2 years his show has gone from making fun of both sides equally to making fun of the republicans 90/10.

The bottom line is that he is forming public opinion, as ridiculous as that may be. He is most likely playing a much bigger role in the forming of public opinion than Crossfire, which gives him at least as much, if not more, responsibility as the people he is chastising. That makes him a hypocrit.
You're right about the stories. I feel it's sort of a cop out to call them "fake" but I also see where the show isn't pretending to state "facts". No one would take an expose from The Daily Show seriously. But still the show doesn't say what they are doing is truthful and I think that's why call it "fake".

As for being 90/10 anti-Republican I disagree with that. While they make fun of Republicans & the pres more they still make fun of Democrats. JS does a great John Kerry impression. When Clinton was in office they made fun of Democrats more. Same with late night shows and comics, the guy in office is fair game and is made fun of a lot. How many Clinton jokes do you know?

Yes he is helping form public opinion. But he doesn't have to make it fair just as Rush Limbaugh or Howard Stern doesn't have to. While the Daily Show get a bigger audience than some other shows it doesn't mean that should be more fair. In the end it's a comedy show.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
The synopsis listed by iFilm for this segment states:
<i>
Daily Show anchor Jon Stewart browbeats CNN's Tucker Carlson over journalism ethics on Crossfire. </i>

Wasn't he was also brow beating the other guy as well? Guess even iFilm gets to spin the segment their way... :rolleyes:

Does a neutral media outlet exist in the country? What ever happen to objectivity in reporting? :no: :no: :no:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts