The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"In my day, the driver's were fat and the tires were skinny" Foilan Gonzalez - Ferrari Team driver in the early 1950s

After discussing entry, exit, and driver fit with a few Lotus clients and friends I was curious how many of us consider our cars' weight with our weight for an overall weight.

Has anyone on Lotus Talk take measures to reduce their car/driver overall weight of themselves to "add lightness" to their car?

Do you feel like you fit in your Elise/Exige/Elan/Esprit?

Do you know friends who reject a Lotus before or after getting in one due to size issues?

I have a co-worker who is a huge Porsche enthusiast, but has never bothered to try to get his 6 foot 4 inch self in the Lotuses that sit right outside the door of our shared office. I am 6 foot 1 inch and feel right at home in the Elise/Exige, but I weigh in a 150lbs, but then my first car (which I still own and love) is a Bertone (Fiat) X-1/9.

I have another friend who is a successful professional driver who has a race specific work-out regimen. He also sees a shrink each week as well. All in the effort to improve his driving performance.

Does anyone have specific work-out plan to make themselves better drivers?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Man 6'1" 150 pounds. I thought I was skinny at 6'0" 165 pounds.

I think the fit is perfect for me. No need to adjust at all.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
My 6'3" 07 Carrera S driving friend just had a lap band put around his stomach to help him reduce weight. He's DOWN to 250 now, but in his mind, he's still over 300 lbs. I've tried to convince him to try on the Lotus, but he won't even attempt it yet. His goal is to reward himself with a 3 day Skip Barber course when he hits 200 lbs.

You have to love Robert Kubica. At the urging of his BMW Sauber engineers, he dropped 13 lbs (and he was already a rail) so they could have more ballast to play with. When you're that skinny though, you run the risk of losing muscle mass, which would definitely hurt in endurance racing.

I'm 6' 195...10 lbs wouldn't be missed on me, that's for sure!

Tom

·
Registered
311 Posts
5' 6" and 165 lbs. What's everyones problem? I've got all kinds of room-poke-

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
large people + small car = nothing good

·
Registered
222 Posts
Unfortunately I'm 6' 210lbs so I have been taking measures to add lightness to myself lol.

However I fit in the car fine and can in and out with decent ease.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went to look at one two weekends ago.

6'2 200lbs, I moved in and out with ease. Now I'm only 22 so maybe its the youthful joints, but I dont see what the argument is with it being hard to get in and out. Even did it with the top on, and it didnt look akward at all. However, I also wouldnt mind the loss of 10 lbs. 190 is good, 185 makes me look near death, ha.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Lil told a story at one of the Deal's gap meets about a guy in California who bought an Elise when they first arrived and had the dealer deliver it to his garage where he had a treadmill facing it. He was 400Lbs and intended to work out until he could fit into his dream car. I always wondered how that story ended.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I'm 5'10", 182 and a perfect fit!

Although I'm trying to lose 15 lbs.

Ara says there is some formula that every 1 pound you lose, the Elise gains 10HP! If I lose 15 pounds, my Elise will have a total 335 horsepower! :D

Helluva incentive!

--Hal

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm 5'10", 182 and a perfect fit!

Although I'm trying to lose 15 lbs.

Ara says there is some formula that every 1 pound you lose, the Elise gains 10HP! If I lose 15 pounds, my Elise will have a total 335 horsepower! :D

Helluva incentive!

--Hal

I think you got it backwards. I think its 10 pounds = 1 hp.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm under the impression that only endurance and F1 drivers have a workout regimen for their profession. Some of the sports car pros I've seen are definitely overweight. NASCAR isn't as bad but those guys aren't in nearly the same physical shape as the F1 drivers, so I'm not sure if they have a workout routine for their job.

As for mental preparation, masturbation seems to work wonders.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts