The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Answer found and a lesson learned on freon levels for a 98 V8?

At the shop now checking an issue with the AC. Compressor is noisy. Found out high pressure is almost 500psi!

Need to discharge and recharge but shop needs to know the spec and can't find on the car labels.

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone that thinks they can ignore the experts and just go an buy a can of freon at the auto part shop and top up your system on your own without the right equipment, get this:

My V8 AC is suppose to have 2.6lbs of 134a exactly. It turns out that it was overfilled at service to 3.04lbs -- just .404 lbs over which is what, half a can?

What did this half a can mean?

My high side pressure was almost 500 PSI instead of 220 PSI!

My compressor was making horrible grinding noises of death.

My engine was struggling to idle to keep this thing turning.

My fans would run for 3-4 minutes after shutting down the car for no apparent reason (that stopped immediately after correcting the fill).

My AC would blow cold and then cool and cold.

The entire system could have blown and cost me thousands to repair in labor!

Do not try to shade tree mechanic your AC system on a V8 (or any other car for that matter).

I am very lucky that it was a $105 fix and not major $$$ and downtime.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
The high head pressures could also have been caused by air in the system, not an overfill of refrigerant. You are right though, if you don't have the proper tools and know what you are doing, it is best to leave the A/C work to someone who does.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Something is not quite right here. There is a trinary pressure switch on the receiver/drier that should have shut down the compressor long before the system reached 500psi. Did your shop test the pressure switch?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy said it was cutting out constantly because of the pressure switch and that's why it didn't go over 500.

It was definitely cutting out like he said. I could see the compressor clutch disengaging from under the car.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Some cycling of the compressor/clutch is normal but the switch should shut it down around 450psi so I suppose that could be interpreted as almost 500. Whatever, it was still way too high...-eek-

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, it was constantly engaging/disengaging. And it was in that 450 to 500 range.

The AC is working better than I could have imagined an Esprit to work. It's very cold even in stop and go traffic in 100deg super humid Houston.

I think the AC performance is linked to the better flowing engine radiator (recored) with 3 super powerful Spal fans pulling a tropical storm through the radiators.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts