The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm acutely aware of various perceptions in this forum regarding Jim and his Scotland based business. I just wanted to share my latest experience, which was beyond stellar. I had Jim build a set of headers for a US spec Evora GT, which remains a little known car to him. I then asked he build a custom exhaust canister, which he gladly did. The system came in two heavy boxes, and arrived from bum-nowhere Scotland to bum-nowhere Colorado in 3 DAYS. Shipping was included in the price, and there was no customs hassle, cost or delay. That alone is amazing. The headers fit perfectly as did the downpipe and sport CAT. However, i couldn't line up the carbon exhaust tips with the factory opening. It was easier to take the whole rear section to a local fabricator to cut and paste the 2.75" tubing to get the spacing perfect. When hearing of this fettling, Jim insisted on refunding over $1,000 of the total cost of the system. Folks, that is simply above and beyond the call of duty and speaks volumes about his work and business ethic. I heartily encourage anyone to give him a try. He's got a lot of experience, is an excellent fabricator and welder, but remember, this is not his core business. He's running a fabrication shop and supporting the Lotus community on the side. Things will happen to cause delays, whether they be local customers, local crises, or whatever. Be patient and you'll be rewarded with a very high quality product. Now, this is not my first rodeo with Jim. I've had his systems on other cars and they all took time to build and deliver and they all did exactly that in the end.....deliver. No, he doesn't suffer fools gladly, and neither do I, but if treated with well, you'll be well treated in return. Shot of the system as built....sorry for the light bleed...the windows and open doors were not the best for photography. Anyway, THANKS JIM for the bad ass sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops. sorry for the typo. i meant to say, if treat well, he'll treat you well in return. get what you give, is all i'm sayin'

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for anyone interested in the actual canister section, a closer view of the 3" Sabrent with 5.5" of actual resonator. with the headers and cat, the perfect sound to my ears.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had a decent experience with Jim and love the sound and light weight! I had to wait a while, but it came before I was ready to install it.
The down side is I needed it to fit in the stock location (In the kidney cutouts) and the point on the stock diffuser hits, which I am not allowed to modify, cut, etc. I have bent for now while I test and run, etc. I figured would have a fabricator shop fix, but with other Covid parts preventing moving have not done yet.
I have not told Jim about the interference, and had not planned to. But maybe just to pass along info, I will.
Generally a plus 1 here. :D

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Jim is a great guy. He builds some of the best exhaust systems out there. Sometimes he delivers very quickly.....other times not so much. But he’s a great guy and his exhaust systems are worth the wait.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a decent experience with Jim and love the sound and light weight! I had to wait a while, but it came before I was ready to install it.
The down side is I needed it to fit in the stock location (In the kidney cutouts) and the point on the stock diffuser hits, which I am not allowed to modify, cut, etc. I have bent for now while I test and run, etc. I figured would have a fabricator shop fix, but with other Covid parts preventing moving have not done yet.
I have not told Jim about the interference, and had not planned to. But maybe just to pass along info, I will.
Generally a plus 1 here. :D
The rules don’t let you slightly modify the diffuser but you can put a whole new muffler on there?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The rules don’t let you slightly modify the diffuser but you can put a whole new muffler on there?
Yeah.. a bit weird... but I think some of the rules are left over when a sports car was the car to run or race for years... and thus parts wore out.. THOSE are allowed to replace ...in stock class. So shocks, Muffler, air filter, brake pads, wheels (but must retain stock widths) and tires are kinda "free" (unrestricted)... but you cannot modify things via cutting, chopping, removing to make "free" stuff fit. Some rules seem so annoying, but you have to draw a line for "stock class" somewhere.
I don't mind rules, just don't change them while I'm building my car to fit the rules!
There are different levels of prep allowed.. ST Street prepared, Prepared, mod.. etc. All in SCCA Solo

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
(y) PATIENCE IS REWARDED!

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
All my exhausts are made by Jim and also headers. I got the headers & sport cat within a month. When the packing blew out in my 16x8 GT3 exhaust, he gave me a free upgrade to the Ti 7x18 GT3 exhaust. Still on the car and still sounds as good as day one. (y)

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Best exhausts we’ve ever had. Beautiful stuff. And can tell folks it came from bum nowhere Scotland.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I will pile on. I think it's appropriate here. I have absolutely nothing but positive adverbs to convey my positive experience with Jim years ago on my system. I think the key is planning and not having some set expectations on short turn around etc, although from start to finish including a few pleasant conversations was approx 3 weeks till I had boxes on my porch.

I even waited two more months to have my decat and header ceramic coated. It has been maybe 5 years and even though the header isn't wrapped it has not lost it's shine or turned whitish. The entire system gives a great sound. I mean GREAT sound.

I may sound like a Luddite and even if I lost a hp or two I would go with his exhaust, however given the workmanship and great fit, I somewhat doubt I am losing on the HP front sourcing from him, but I am not going to open that can of stupid.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Where's the popcorn when you need it???

·
Registered
458 Posts
Even though it may not give it justice but can we get some sound clips of these exhausts that sound so good!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Hear you go. Baffled track exhaust on my 2011 Evora S. Sounds even better ~4yrs later!!

BTW my first and only YouTube video

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts