The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for an esprit Tt. What is the major difference between the 00 and the 02+? I really like the newer wheels but is that the only difference besides springs and badging? I would like to get another 100hp out of whatever model I buy. 350 is good 450 is better! It's either that or I blow up my options and go with Acura NSX and a supercharger or Turbo kit. Any advice or words of wisdom?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Info on the various model years can be found here... The Lotus Esprit Fact File - Model Information

Why do you feel that you need an additional 100hp? Because a larger number sounds more impressive? Have you driven an Esprit? There's more to being quick that just horsepower, ask the Elise owners.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,325 Posts
The V8 was rated at 350HP because...that is all the Renault tranny was designed to handle! :panic: (Lotus was conservative about power delivery on purpose)

It's easy to get more power, (even a well running STOCK V8 can deliver 350 WHEEL hp) but you might start twisting your rear axles...no joke. :crazyeyes

The '02s started the round tail lights. The later wheels are lighter. The Final Edition modelss ('03 - 04) had more tweaks including the Lotus/Bilstien suspension (which can be easily retrofitted).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have driven a 2000 TT esprit. I loved the sound of the turbos in my ear and the presence of the car. I think the additional HP would give it what it needs to make it a cut above. I think HP from 2000 is different from HP in 2014, if that makes any sense. I fully understand that some transmission and running gear upgrades will be required. I'm ok with that. It's part of the fun. Regardless I have loved the lotus since my teen years. Now in my early thirties I am trying to choose which teen dream to fulfill first, lotus, ferrari 360, viper acs or NSX. I love them all for different reasons but the lotus is taking the lead. Funny thing though, they are the hardest to find.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've had the pleasure to drive an NSX as my good friends had one for 15 years. Fantastic car! So easy to maintain... It really set the standard for build quality in the 90's. The Esprit is definitely more quirky but is more of an exotic per say. My S4 is faster than the NSX and the exhaust note is impressive compared to NSX. I could only imagine the V8 would run circles around an NSX. Enjoy the search and drive them all to find what car moves you that's what matters. Your choices are all good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
From '99 to '04 the Lotus Esprit is little unchanged mechanically. Each year they made minor cosmetic changes to differentiate the model years. It is not easy to compare different years by driving unless you KNOW both cars are each in good running condition. If you can satisfy yourself with a '99 I know where one is in New Jersey with 20,000 miles on it. Red with tan interior and recent service history. If you are buying a Lotus Esprit and expect to "improve" on it there is not a whole lot you can do and certainly not cheap. The biggest improvement you can make is to take a driving course so you don't kill yourself. A stock, well running Lotus is more car than most people can handle. Hot-rodding an Acura will be a LOT cheaper if money is the driving factor but don't expect it to last very long.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
181 Posts
....as far as the engine performance, i don't think there's difference from 1996 to 2004 -- however, i see a little difference in the brochure about top speed...could be irrelevant though......but who knows.

The engine assembly was different from 1996-1998 vs 1999-2004...as far as liner issue.
Interior ? a bit different from 1996-1998 vs 1999-2004

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a great thread. I appreciate all of you taking the time to weigh in. My goal is to have one of each in the garage in the next 5 years. Cosmetically I enjoy the rounded tails of the 02. Other than that they seem identical. In any esprit I despise the stock steering wheel. That will have to go.

·
Registered
667 Posts
In any esprit I despise the stock steering wheel. That will have to go.
I thought the same when I got my 99V8, but to be honest, the stock steering wheel has grown on me. It actually has a very nice feel.

But there are a few threads on here to swap it with an Elise wheel too. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts