The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my temp gauge will show $$$ signs and then one will go away as I drive it and show a number and then sometimes it goes into the odometer. I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything. Has anyone had this happen before or know what it is?

·
Registered
972 Posts
When I was installing my replacement LCD I noticed if it wasn't seated properly on the speedo circuit it would display a big row of blocked out characters. Maybe something similar is happening with yours and a pin is loose or making intermittent connection.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Reboot the car? (disconnect the battery for 20 min or so)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reboot the car? (disconnect the battery for 20 min or so)
I will try this.

Take pics, then do a cluster reset.
I will grab some pics and post them up and also try the reset mentioned above.

At first I noticed it would only do it on the temp gauge and then it got worse.

I figured the $$$ signs meant it was going to cost a lot of fix. HAHA rotfl

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick updated. I tried to disconnect the battery over night and then tried it the next morning still the same thing. I have taken two pictures. The first one is when I first start the car and the next one is about 15 mins after the car is running.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Is that <24 normal, not in my car right now ;)

This looks like a corrupt ECU to me. Its so distinctive that the mere fact no one, including Google has seen it before, implies it's not of intended design. I will say from a firmware design point of view that often times when you exceed the character set it goes in to random data.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Classic example.

Back in the 80's there was a video game called super Mario brothers. The designer never intended the game to get over 99 lives, thus never built a character set for it. Though many gamers figure out how to get more the 99 lives so the game dipped in to the sprite set.

My advice is get the ecu re-flashed or replaced. Its also very posible the board in the dash has its own firmware, so that could also be it.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ok I think I figured out what set it uses.

so
$ (count 4 back ) ( nothing or space )
5 (count 4 back ) = 1
= (count 4 back ) = 9
4 (count 4 back) = 0

your temp is 190, not sure on the F unless its for Fahrenheit? Again I can't recall what it looks like as I'm not at my car but if there should be an F there then I'd suspect the ECU as only the data is off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the posts. I tried to search the forum and google it but couldn't really find any information. Any idea what could have caused it the car hardly gets driven. I haven't noticed any change in the way it drives since this started displaying like this.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hard to say until the verdict is in. Lots of things can corrupt firmware. From a simple thing like a cold solder joint or loose wire to a surge. Touching a chip on the right pin and getting a static discharge would do it. The again, High humidity or just simply a fault in constructing the board will also do it.

BTW: Not driving a car is more harmful then giving it a daily or at least biweekly drive. They are designed to be used to some extent ;)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mileage is stored in the cluster, not the ECU, and the cluster code is what updates the LCD. So, I'd suspect the cluster first.

It's always possible, of course, that the ECU is sending a corrupt message which overflows a data structure somewhere just so, but that sounds less likely than the cluster.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
LOL

yeah, the cluster is independent of the ECU

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
511 Posts
Did you try rebooting the cluster? It's done differently than the ECU and just removing the battery won't do it. There's a TSB out here somewhere on booting the cluster for a stuck RPM needle or a stuck speedo needle. I forget which, but follow those directions and see if that clears it. The directions are something like stand on one foot and jump anti-clockwise around the car 3 times while singing "God save the Queen...."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts