The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Its on FB under Fuel Coffee Cincinnati. Usually 9-12. Good mix of cars, plus some motorcycles.
OK...great! I found a FB page, a group and something else on Fuel Coffee Cincinnati. I won't be there this week, but next week probably.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Welcome back! Once you get things sorted out and settled in you might want to plan to attend LOG 34 next year. If your driving north from Baltimore to head to Ohio, stop by my track in Millville NJ to check out NJMP. I'll buy you lunch and show you around.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welcome back! Once you get things sorted out and settled in you might want to plan to attend LOG 34 next year. If your driving north from Baltimore to head to Ohio, stop by my track in Millville NJ to check out NJMP. I'll buy you lunch and show you around.
Wow! Cool! I might just do that... I also know that David Zeckhausen is someplace in Northern NJ...of Zeckhausen Racing. Do you know of David? I've bought StopTech brakes from him for several cars...

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well...tracking shows that my car made it through the Suez Canal and is on the Mediterranean Sea on its way to Greece...then Valencia, Spain... The wait is killing me!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sure...
But you can home build a car and get that registered. All it needs is brake lights, 4 wheels and mirrors to register. I don't think you even need fenders or head lights.

And...I am not trying to illegally import a vehicle! I am importing my personal property that I've acquired overseas that I've owned more than a year. That is the loophole that I've been handed. The trick is to import it with your personal belongings...that way you also don't have to pay the import duties either.

We'll see how this plays out in the next few weeks...so far, so good. I was told by the exporting agency that I have all of my documents in order and the importing agency that all of my paperwork is correct for what I'm doing.
I really hope that works out. Hate to see the idiots pull something like they did with the Land Rover Defender..

U.S. Customs Crush Illegally-Imported Land Rover Defender: Video

That whole incident was just so wrong.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That is all advertising... They need to get the word out. I do have all the paperwork completed to get my car imported legally. I also have foreign plates on the car right now. I also have my title and registration translated and notarized by the American Embassy. I even have insurance until May... I am good with importing the car. It will be imported and legal in the US.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well...tracking shows that my car made it through the Suez Canal and is on the Mediterranean Sea on its way to Greece...then Valencia, Spain... The wait is killing me!
Sure seems to be taking a while, hope you get here before this thing called "snow".....

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK...my container (with my car) got to Valencia, Spain. Yeah! :clap:
It's scheduled to depart Spain on the 15th and arrive in Baltimore on the 29th...the wait is killing me! :(

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well...the ship made it to Baltimore port...we'll see how unloading and customs goes. I'll keep all posted with the progress and if my importation loophole works out.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The shipping line released my container...all that means is that I've paid the $400 port fee.
Customs released my container...That means all my documentation was correct!
Now all I need is the Coast Guard to release my container...that probably means a dog sniff of the container and/or an x-ray of the container. If an x-ray, than an other $100 for that.
I still had to pay $1,333 import duty on the car...customs didn't let me slide on that one.
So, maybe tomorrow :nanner: but Monday probably :up: I'll get my Lotus back! :D

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
You got off fairly easy on Duty. Its worse going the other direction and selling an American POS to a national.

Glad you have your baby back! Now when are we going to meet a Road Atlanta?

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Road Trip!

OK! :coolnana:
My container got released from the port and got the high sign for a certified trucking company to move it. I just got to wait for the bank transfer to come through to my broker so she would tell me where to go get my container from...

Looks like Monday morning...I'll be off to Baltimore.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
why wouldn't you be able to import it? its a "off road use only" for the fed's right? is there some issues with bringing cars like that in? i guess when the govt. is involved there is always issues! :)

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No. There is a Form 3299 witch is an exemption for paying taxes on household effects purchased while abroad for more than a year. I argued that a car is a very important part of a household and it should not be singled out. Customs did not agree! They only allowed that for returning military personnel.

I still had to pay 2.5% of purchase cost for import duty.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts