The Lotus Cars Community banner

How much do you rake in prior to Uncle Sam?

• Under $30k

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • $30k-$49k

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • $50k-$74k

Votes: 40 12.5%
  • $75k-$99k

Votes: 47 14.7%
  • $100k-$149k

Votes: 62 19.4%
  • $150k-$200k

Votes: 50 15.7%
  • Above $200k

Votes: 93 29.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize some people are sensitive to this issue, so don't vote if you don't want to. But I was wondering what people made. I realize $30k in CA is not $30k in FL, but this is just for the heck of it, post what you make in a year prior to taxes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
cranium said:
I realize some people are sensitive to this issue, so don't vote if you don't want to. But I was wondering what people made. I realize $30k in CA is not $30k in FL, but this is just for the heck of it, post what you make in a year prior to taxes.

Household or individual?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
TotallyGreen said:
jesus. this thread makes me feel poor. and i drive a jaguar. =)
Unfortunately, your car's marque says nothing of your income anymore. You can get a Jaguar or Mercedes for under $30k and a VW or Dodge for over $80k, and a Ford for over $100k. The world's all backwards.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I find it interesting that close to 20% of the people polled are willing to spend in upward of 75% of their yearly salary for a car. This just doesn’t make sense to me. Am I the only one who feels this way? Or is this just an artifact because the small number of people polled?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
i voted and then realized I should have asked "household or individual."

I voted individual but it should be household if there are combined incomes. I wouldn't have bought the car if it wasn't for the combined incomes...

oh well. too late.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Heh. With the Elise being the 'Official Sports Car of Dentists Everywhere' the income list is probably skewed top heavy.

> I wouldn't have bought the car if it wasn't for the combined incomes...

Totally. Combined incomes rock. Our deal is pretty sweet ... I put her through law school for 3 years and now she pays all (as in 100%) of the bills. :) As a lawyer she still only brings in 1/3 of the household $ ... but that's a heck of a lot better than the $0 she brought in during school. Combined incomes make vacations cheaper, puts better property within your combined reach, lets you more easily max out both of your 401ks, etc, etc.

Get hitched!

There is one tricky bit ... when you pick up a cool toy like the Elise your partner suddenly wants a cool toy of their own. So now, alas, we are looking at cars again. :(

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Would my supplemental income and a male crack whore count?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Official car of dentists??? I didn't get the memo! :p

I'm a dentist... who's STILL waiting for a CO LSS Elise. I know of one other dentist who has one. (He's on this forum and down the street from me.)

I know a LOT of dentists, and I'm quite certain this is a car most of them would not own. Not enough luxury or recognition.

Mike

PS... I agree with the advice to marry someone with a good job or with potential. Worked very nicely for me!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
$100,000 in California and Manhattan is VASTLY different than $100,000 in the rest of the country.

Our salaries are much higher here because everything costs more in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
88 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
$100,000 in California and Manhattan is VASTLY different than $100,000 in the rest of the country.

Our salaries are much higher here because everything costs more in the Bay Area.
I totally agree.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>Official car of dentists??? I didn't get the memo!

>I'm a dentist... who's STILL waiting for a CO LSS Elise. I know of one other >dentist who has one. (He's on this forum and down the street from me.)

I'm commenting/joking about a recent thread where 3 etalkers confessed to being dentists. :)

>Our salaries are much higher here because everything costs more in the Bay Area.

Yeah, some people say the homes here cost 2x what they do elsewhere. But compared to where I used to live, West Virginia, I think it's more like 10x to 15x (especially when you consider the land). My parents sold their place in WV for abou 60k. Here the same house would be over a million.

The good thing is that you can get an Elise from anywhere and pay a bit to have it shipped ... so, cars don't cost much more here than they do anywhere else.

>Would my supplemental income and a male crack whore count?
I hear there's great income in that! But the retirement plan is a downer.

·
Registered
724 Posts
how do you get a wife to work? i got her thru pharmacy school. she gives me some story about taking care of 4 kids actually being work. please :D

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>she gives me some story about taking
>care of 4 kids actually being work

Kids! Eeeeek! She's given me a two year warning. :(

>suuuper genius
"Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Wile E. Cyotee. Suuuuuper Genius"

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
fastwrx said:
Official car of dentists??? I didn't get the memo! :p

I'm a dentist... who's STILL waiting for a CO LSS Elise. I know of one other dentist who has one. (He's on this forum and down the street from me.)

I know a LOT of dentists, and I'm quite certain this is a car most of them would not own. Not enough luxury or recognition.

Mike

PS... I agree with the advice to marry someone with a good job or with potential. Worked very nicely for me!
Getting an Elise is like pulling teeth! rotfl

1 - 20 of 102 Posts