The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Just picked up an '07 GSXR 750. I love it. Glad to be back on a bike. Still love the Lotus though.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
How come you didn't get a Hayabusa?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Congrats!!! I just got a bike too and honestly the Lotus has sat under a car cover. I like the 07 GSX-Rs better than the 08's (even though 08s come with S-DMS). Bikes are ruining cars for me :D about the only car that gets my interest now is the Atom :)

How come you didn't get a Hayabusa?
Busas? Busas are for high speed cruising, not high speed turning, pretty much the opposite of what a Lotus driver would want (if you judge the type of bike a person would want by the type of car they drive).

My biker friends said when you roll up to bike night and see all the bikes outside and you see a Busa the following thought crosses their minds:
"...show me a busa and I can pick out the rider, usually it's the shortest bastard in the bunch..."

LOL! (And I'm not a tall guy either)

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
nice bike!
i notice you wore your gear and helmet just for the picture...
i wonder if it was just so you wouldnt have to answer a bunch of inquiries from our judgemental elisetalk friends....

as for busas.....i like em. i like them because they are fast and are comfortable. i can also carry a pasenger comfortably. as far as handling, theyre not bad. most guys on race replicas are scared crapless anyway on those things, so really, whats the diff?

man, some of you guys will stereotype anything.
if you wanna equate an elise to a sportbike, the sportbike would be more along the lines of a 250. stops well, handles well, useless everywhere else.
:)

nice bike, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
as for busas.....i like em. i like them because they are fast and are comfortable. i can also carry a pasenger comfortably. as far as handling, theyre not bad. most guys on race replicas are scared crapless anyway on those things, so really, whats the diff?
I had to drive a busa for a friend that was up in a cast for 6months. He wanted me to take it out at least once a week so it didn't just sit there. Those days I rode it around were just painful. Knowing my 996 was just sitting there doing nothing while I was stuck on that monster took alot of the joy of riding bikes out of me for the day.

Was like parking the Lotus and driving the truck into work for a day. :D

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I had to drive a busa for a friend that was up in a cast for 6months. He wanted me to take it out at least once a week so it didn't just sit there. Those days I rode it around were just painful. Knowing my 996 was just sitting there doing nothing while I was stuck on that monster took alot of the joy of riding bikes out of me for the day.

Was like parking the Lotus and driving the truck into work for a day. :D
first off, i like them all.
hell, ive OWNED most of them. my last sportbike was a gsxr1k, with carbon fiber rims, piston kit, cam, and headwork. great bike.
im not in my 20s anymore and i found myself riding the gsxr1k for shorter and shorter stints at a time. an hour tops. (im not really one who rides it as far as the local hangout, parks, and rides it home...posuers!)
but the busa i could ride for much longer times and carry a passenger relatively comfortably.
the thing with the hayabusa is that u have to muscle it around a bit more, which takes 80% of the folks here out of that equation...:)
ha, seriously, no, its not as razor sharp as my gsxr was, but it has other benefits that to me, make up for it.
if i were to buy a sportbike today, it would probably be the busa cause i really like them for the reasons cited, but also like the r1, zx10, and the 1k...
i dont care for the zx14 at all. im sure it runs like a raped ape, but it doesnt appeal to aesthetically.
be real, how many of the sportbike punks can handle those things at anywhere near racetrack speeds in the corners?? on the street??
right.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
yea, I'm one that can't muscle that heavy thing around at all. Was like a kid on a rollercoaster. Just there for the ride.

The longest ride I ever took on the 996 was 4 hours. Never again. Could barely walk after that. Most uncomfortable bike ever. But damn it felt good on the twisties. Would like to get another one, but I really don't see me riding a bike here in Houston. Just too dangerous with these drivers around here.

Besides, I got the Lotus now. It's almost as much fun as my old double r's and the 996. I do feel safer though.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
yea, I'm one that can't muscle that heavy thing around at all. Was like a kid on a rollercoaster. Just there for the ride.

The longest ride I ever took on the 996 was 4 hours. Never again. Could barely walk after that. Most uncomfortable bike ever. But damn it felt good on the twisties. Would like to get another one, but I really don't see me riding a bike here in Houston. Just too dangerous with these drivers around here.

Besides, I got the Lotus now. It's almost as much fun as my old double r's and the 996. I do feel safer though.
i rode a 996....very cool bike...:)
again, i like them all. not one of the more comfortable bikes, and if you wanna ride all night and/or have a passenger, the 996 may not be the best choice. its great having something different than most of the punks too.
my recollection is that the 996 was not exactly a "lightweight" but had great front end feedback. clutch was a bit grabby i think. i wanted to wheelie it, but it wasnt my bike, so...ha.
i almost bought an r6 a couple months ago to go along with my m109r, but im going broke from all the cars i buy..:(.
would have used the r6 to just blast around for an hour or two and do wheelies.....maybe next year.
i combat traffic by riding late at night.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice bike!
i notice you wore your gear and helmet just for the picture...
i wonder if it was just so you wouldnt have to answer a bunch of inquiries from our judgemental elisetalk friends....
No, actually I was just about to go for a ride which is why I was in my gear. I promised my wife I would never ride without my gear if I got a bike again. Not a hard promise to keep since I think it's stupid to ride without gear but to each their own. I since got another jacket. That one in the pic is nice but too damn hot. No ventilation at all. I was dripping sweat when I got back. It should be good for winter since it is a size too big. I can wear hoodies under it. I just picked up a Fieldsheer mesh jacket which is very nice and very cool. It has a nice winter jacket that zips in too so maybe I'll get rid of the other one.

The Busa is nice but not really my kind of bike. I'm loving this thing. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my Elise. Just not as much fun by comparison. We'll see. Waiting for my sister to get her bike so we can go on some trips. Also ordered a OGIO No Drag backpack. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Thanks for the kind words. I now understand why a lot of guys get rid of their Lotus after getting a bike. It just does not compare.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Congrat's on the new bike Rich. Did you see the recent Motorcycle.com shootout? The Suzuki did very well for itself: 2008 Supersport Shootout: CBR600RR vs Daytona 675 vs ZX-6R vs R6 vs GSX-R600 Have fun and ride safe.

The longest ride I ever took on the 996 was 4 hours. Never again. Could barely walk after that. Most uncomfortable bike ever.
Awe, come on :). When I bought my last 916 SP I picked it up in Lake Charles, LA and rode it home to WI. It was 1,400 miles and 24 hours of riding. I actually rode long enough the second day to qualify for the Iron Butt Association's "Saddle Sore 1,000" (http://www.ironbutt.com), but I didn't have all of the documentation to send in. The weight on your wrists never bothered me, but the way that the rear end geometry transfers every bump into a jolt directly up your spine had me looking for smooth roads whenever possible. Great bike though. I had an MV after it, and while the spine jolts were gone, so was the soul of the desmo v-twin.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone want an '05 Elise? This thing is too much fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts