The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all, first let me be clear in saying I am VERY glad that my car is scheduled to hit the harbor in 2 weeks. However, I am NOT happy to hear that Lotus is raising(raised) the MSRP AND some of the option costs.

Not only are they FAR FAR behind on their promises for delivery (I was July/August) but now I find out that they also are charging more.

Was just told MSRP went up from $39, 985 to $40,930 + $795 Destination for a total base price of $41,725.

They are also raising the prices of the options, ie. Stage II exhaust went from $695 to $1,000 + INSTALLATION!

What else am I going to be hit up for prior to receiving this car?? Does Lotus feel that they can squeeze more money out of us because we have waited this long and if we drop out the dealers can sell the cars regardless??

Once they sell us our cars are they going to spring new "maintanence" costs on us?

Since we have stuck with them over all the months and months of delays why can't they honor their prices?

Getting this car is has and continues to be bitter xweet.

Jason

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The MSRP increase was bullshit. I think we all agree on that. The stage 2 exhaust is a dealer installed option not a factory option. The price hasn't changed, that is just what your dealer is deciding to charge.

The price on the factory options (sport package, hardtop, etc) has remained the same.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Jason,
I forgot, what # are you at DE?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Just be grateful you don't live in the country where they're made ...

An Elise is about 28K Pounds, which is just over $50K ...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I am out of the loop. I got so thoroughly disgusted with Lotus that I flatly refused to haunt this site like I used to.

Thus the shock at the rate increase....

Hey Shay, I'm number...13 or 14 at DE...expecting to pick up (Might, maybe, possibly, etc. etc.) the car on Dec. 11th. Did you speak with Pat Marsh on yours?

To be blunt, I am rather pissed at the rate increases considering how long they have forced us to wait. If my ownership experience reflects my buying experience I am going to be very loud in my scathing thoughts on Lotus.

I canceled my order for the Stage II, screw them if they think they can charge me $1,000 for an upgraded exhaust after quoting me $695 + installation.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Dealers are charging different prices for accessories. Some charge list price, some will charge whatever they want. The Stage 2 exhaust has been quoted at all sorts of different prices. List plus reasonable labor might get you to about 800-850 onto the car, or about 615-625 if you'll DIY. The opening in the diffuser has to be trimmed a bit since the Stage 2 has much larger tips than stock. If you change the tips you can fit it without cutting the diffuser.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Jason, call Newport European (DE's sister store) about the Stage 2. They may be cheaper,they have them in stock and Don will definitely do a better job of install.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You can always buy the Quicksilver exhaust that Shinoo sells and install it yourself. It's not difficult. Plenty of threads on here about that. You might also want to hold off for the KMS exhaust. Do a search on that you can see some of the pics.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
By the way, while you were gone Elisetalk became a pay per post forum. You owe Randy $1.11 per post. ;)

The Lotus Elise looks like it costs $100,000, and it handles like cars that cost even more, so the rationalization presented by some people is that we are getting a bargain at any price under that. :rolleyes:

Just be happy that you probably will receive your car before the next price increase, as yet unannounced but I'm guessing will appear next spring.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely will look into the options as I am going to upgrade the exhaust through someone....

All the price increases, and other BS reminds me why I HATE working through dealers...much prefer buying a 1 year old car from an individual....but in this case it's not possible.

Has anyone heard the differences in the Stage II and the QuickSilver?

Any thoughts on KMS?

Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL, you want my CC number right now?

Yes, that is one of the only reasons I have stuck this out. If it didn't sound like such a great car I would have been gone long long ago. As it stands, I am a "sight unseen" buyer and have not had many reasons to stay with them.

Since I have been out of this so long I can only assume we are still being treated like Mushrooms, yes?

Has Lotus provided any new information lately? Any new options appear? Have they improved the communication with the dealers? Is the online buiild/track system working? Are customer VIN numbers, delivery dates etc. being timely provided?

Have things gotten better for us in the last 3 months....besides some cars arriving and feedback from the extremely helpful users of this forum?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Jasonv44 said:

Has Lotus provided any new information lately? Any new options appear? Have they improved the communication with the dealers? Is the online buiild/track system working? Are customer VIN numbers, delivery dates etc. being timely provided?

Have things gotten better for us in the last 3 months....besides some cars arriving and feedback from the extremely helpful users of this forum?
LOL yeah right.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahhh, nothing must have changed....we are still mushrooms in a closet being fed sh-t....so surprising.

I don't know who is worse, Lotus or I. The customer service and (so far) experience that they have provided is absolutely, without a doubt PATHETIC...and I REALLY HOPE THEY READ THIS...but what is almost worse is that I take it....this car BETTER be worth it....

Normally I am a very positive person but Lotus and their Dealers have beaten it out of me. Sorry for all the complaining! I'll stop now!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I certainly hope I will be one as well! ;) How has yours been on dependability? Any little quirks to get used to?

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
Hey Shay, I'm number...13 or 14 at DE...expecting to pick up (Might, maybe, possibly, etc. etc.) the car on Dec. 11th. Did you speak with Pat Marsh on yours?
I'm #28 and I thought I was in the current order batch (21-30), which I guess has already happened. I gave Pat all my options and color in mid-September, but when I called back the next week, I was told that I'll be one of the first in the next batch (31-40). I don't know when that is. Supposedly I'm still going to get my car Feb/March, but I'm only concerned that I won't be able to get Lazer Blue.

hey II-soon

what the hell happened to your car?

·
Registered
758 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Jason,
So far I think just about everyone that's gotten their cars thinks it IS worth it.
Chris
Or are trying to tell you that it is worth it so they can make a profit on a car they don't like :)

I wouldn't be suprised if 50% of the Elises in the US have passed, or are currently passing through the used car market.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
50% would be a shockingly high amount. If so we are either a greedy group or are not happy with the car....hopefully, and more likely, there is a third reason for the flood of cars on the market.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts