The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first Lotus, and it's a gem! I've been looking at these cars for some 10 years. When I saw this 2011 Exige S260 Sport in white come up I inquired about it, and when the CFO didn't say no, I ended up being the one to buy it. The car was in Indianapolis at Gator Motorsport. The on line / phone interactions I had with Tony were great, all my questions were answered and I had a very good idea of the condition of the car. I knew how rare it was, and the idea that I was going to be the new owner gave me a few sleepless nights.
So I flew out to Indy and was picked up by Erica in this Evora - I even got to drive back to the shop!

Here's the first look I had of the car!

Buying the car was a very quick 15 minute affair, everything was ready for me. I had an extensive tour of the shop looking at so many cool cars with the motorheads at Gator was really fun. They put the car up on a lift for me and showed me how to take the panel off to gain access to the motor, showed me the upgraded bushings and a bunch of other stuff.
My wife surprised me by flying out on a different flight - she met me at the dealership for the delivery!

So now we had a drive ahead of us! We hopped on 70 and aimed for the West.
We saw a bunch of world's largest things in Casey, Ill.

Stopped to see my sister and her family in Co, which was cool. They liked the car!

Finally got out of the flat lands and into the mountains, which was refreshing.

Sunset in Utah!

Next post for a few more photos...

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nearly ran out of fuel in the middle of Nevada (Hwy 50), had to get a splash of regular.

Lake Tahoe

Then finally back home.
So it was a 4 day trip. The Exige was surprisingly comfortable - more so than my S2000CR, which surprised me. Getting in and out of the car made my wife talk about yoga quite a bit - I think we call it the lotus position.
This is the first time I've purchased a car out of state, the first car like this I've ever owned. Gator was awesome to work with, I give them two thumbs up. They are first and foremost a Lotus dealership, and they are enthusiasts, all of them.
Anyway now I'm in the process of trying to get the car registered in CA. Really looking forward to getting to know some in the Lotus community around here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Congrats! I too got an out of state exige I just registered - but no fun journey/roadtrip like yours. :)

The CA registration was simple enough, but time consuming due to the DMV-covid situation. I got the car smogged right away, and took title/purchase agreement/smog certification to the DMV.

Even 30 minutes before opening, the line was wrapped around the building! But once they found out what I was in line for (out of state registration), the pulled me out of the line and had me bring the car around to their verification area. Someone came out within 10 minutes after opening, inspected the car (federal sticker as well as CA emissions compliance sticker), noted the VIN, checked odo, and signed off and gave me a copy of the form.

I had to get back in line, and then register the car using the verification form, along with title and purchase agreement. Be sure you take your checkbook with you as that's when you pay sales tax and reg fees. I also had vanity plates from a prior car I wanted to put on this car, so I got to do that all in one go.

All in all, I left the DMV at 11am, so took a smidge over 3 hours. Ugh. But well worth the wait to now be able to drive the exige with peace of mind.

Congrats, and hope to see you around!

·
Administrator
1,798 Posts
Congrats Joel and what a great adventure bringing it on home!

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, kertong,
My car had the cat removed so I had to get that taken care of before I could do a smog check - then after putting the cat on it threw a code. I drove it yesterday and the code was gone so I’m hoping for the best.
I’m going to try to do all the registration at the AAA office, hopefully that will be easier than the DMV.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks, kertong,
My car had the cat removed so I had to get that taken care of before I could do a smog check - then after putting the cat on it threw a code. I drove it yesterday and the code was gone so I’m hoping for the best.
I’m going to try to do all the registration at the AAA office, hopefully that will be easier than the DMV.
ahhh, gotcha - good luck on the smog! obd2 cars can be a pain for them to clear codes on.

out of curiosity - how did you find the suspension comfort on your long drive? i've had an 06 elise with LSS suspension in the past, but this 07 exige S seems way stiffer, harsher, crashier, squeaky and rattle-y than I seem to remember the elise being, even with the adjustable track pack shocks being set to a loose setting (2/9) 😨

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it May be apples and oranges to your ‘07 since I have Ohlins all around, but this car is more comfortable on a long trip than my S2000CR by a large margin. The seats are amazing - I would have never guessed that this thin padding could be that comfortable.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
ahhh, gotcha - good luck on the smog! obd2 cars can be a pain for them to clear codes on.

out of curiosity - how did you find the suspension comfort on your long drive? i've had an 06 elise with LSS suspension in the past, but this 07 exige S seems way stiffer, harsher, crashier, squeaky and rattle-y than I seem to remember the elise being, even with the adjustable track pack shocks being set to a loose setting (2/9) 😨
I have the track pack Bilsteins as well. I have the fronts set at 3 and the rears at 2. Much better on Bay Area roads.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Welcome. I have a 2009 Elise with stock suspension. I've done many long road trips and find that the seats are excellent. Getting in and out is a bit of a drag but other than that the road trips have been terrific.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts