The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing a poll here, but I've heard it might be a good idea to remove the fuel pump inertia switch for cars that ONLY see track use. In the six years I've had my Lotus Elise, I haven't had any issues with the switch suddenly tripping and cutting fuel, but am curious what other's experiences are.

I must emphasize, my car is a track car only, and understand this is a stupid thing to do on any street car.

Let's hear those opinions!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
If it were me, I'd keep the switch, especially if you've never had problems with it. Even on a track, there is the potential of severing a fuel line in an accident or perhaps the throttle jams after hitting a wall. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Just my $0.02.

If you're rewiring the entire rear end you could make the case for simplification. Outside of that, the weight savings is not worth it and the added (safety) peace of mind having it outweighs removing it just in case the one fringe event happens. This assumes you're not competitively racing and mainly doing trackdays / TTs.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Deff get rid of it. I had mine trip twice during excursions onto rough kerbs. Not what you want in the midst of a run group. The whole party had to stop while they recovered my car. The first time I did not know what it was. Switch is easy to reach but not obvious. Easy to bypass too.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deff get rid of it. I had mine trip twice during excursions onto rough kerbs. Not what you want in the midst of a run group. The whole party had to stop while they recovered my car. The first time I did not know what it was. Switch is easy to reach but not obvious. Easy to bypass too.
This is exactly what I was concerned about. On the other hand, the tracks in the NASA Great Lakes region that I compete in don't have very rough curbing, and I've never had it trip in 6 years. Even at some tracks with ferociously nasty "gator" curbs like NCM, it hasn't gone off.

I think I'm gonna keep it there.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Anyone else bypass theirs?

I hear the argument that in a crash that’s stopping the run group anyway, why not have a fuel cut off?

But I did have that experience twice.

Maybe I was just a more raucous than some other drivers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts