The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my cover from Cover Zone (Chart One Automotive).
http://www.cover-zone.com

It's a custom-tailored indoor use cover for the Elise. They claim it will fit all models and has been tested on the new body styles. Someday, hopefully this year, I'd like to be able to test this claim.

They offer three different materials for indoor or outdoor (waterproof?) use, and I chose the indoor (cheapest) one to cover it in the garage "Sahara" -- just something to keep dust and prints off it while it's parked. (in case some is trying to squeeze by with grocery bags full of Budget Gourmet)

Price direct from the web page is around $75+, but if you check ebay (seller chartoneauto), sometimes they go for the minimum bid of $65. That was the cheapest fitted cover I could find.

They're in Sussex, UK, but have a distributor in the midwest somewhere.

It came in a zippered storage bag, as most covers do.

I'd like to find a nice shower-cap too, something to take along and use while parking under trees and such. Anyone got a supplier for fitted ones?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just looked on ebay but the starting price for the cover is $100 US dollars and their website has the same cover for $145. A reasonable little discount but certainly not $65 (but I will keep my eyes open). What is the fabric like? Did you get the indoor one or the middle range "all weather" one?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Supporting Vendor
4,117 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Anyone got a supplier for fitted ones?
Yes! We're making them under license from Elemental.

Here's one of ours on Chris Smith's (zezezedah :D ) Elise:

They are made in the USA specifically for us by Covercraft and come in 8 different colors.
Elemental Shower-cap from Sector 111

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jdw5155 said:
I just looked on ebay but the starting price for the cover is $100 US dollars and their website has the same cover for $145. A reasonable little discount but certainly not $65 (but I will keep my eyes open). /
Most of the auctions are in UK Pounds, but every now and then they run one in dollars. I paid $64 and change.
What is the fabric like?
This indoor one is pretty light and thin -- breathable. They will send fabric samples of all three if you ask. Some have backing material as well.
Did you get the indoor one or the middle range "all weather" one?
Indoor (Sahara) -- it's the cheapest and I won't be using it outside anyway. It really is just a dust/smudge cover..

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't had a car cover before, but would consider one for my Elise that I'm keeping in a parking garage.

There's a lot of dust/dirt that builds up on my Audi within a week of washing and driving it- I always worried that if I put a cover over it mid-week, I'd be scratching the paint and doing more harm than just letting it get dusty.

It's very difficult to wash my Audi (I don't like the automated car washes, and that's all that's around here)- I only get to do it when a friend with a house is around and doesn't mind me washing it there. I'd like to keep my Elise very clean tho...

·
Registered
825 Posts
I dropped by Autostrada yesterday to drool over the Starlight Black customer car on their showroom. They had two Lotus car covers there. The lightweight silver one was around $160 and the heavier black one was around $310. The heavier one felt like fleece and was very nice. Only drawbacks are the size and that it leaves lint on your soft top. It comes with a special liner to put over your soft top to prevent this.

I'm thinking about getting a full car cover b/c I can probably put that on as fast as I could install the soft top. That way I can leave the top off while I'm at work, but still have the entire car protected.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Jefferson- beware of the cover sagging (and leaking if it is not 100% waterproof fabric) during a heavy rain. Maybe installing one or more of the roof "struts" would be enough to support the car cover and allow rain to drain off. The waterproof-but-breathable fabric is generally the best- but most expensive.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,117 Posts
JeffersonRaley said:
...the heavier black one was around $310. The heavier one felt like fleece and was very nice.
This is an indoor dust cover. It's not meant for rain protection.

We also carry a very nice indoor cover. It is not meant for a quick 'on & off' use. Ours come in 6 different colors.

We also have inexpensive covers for indoor/outdoor use that are still made from high quality materials. Our Kimberly Clark Evolution cover is an excellent value at $135. All of our covers are fitted specifically for the Elise.

Elise Car Covers

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I do want to get a car cover, but I've never had one before and from the info on the sector 111 website it's difficult to make a decision.

The cover will be used exclusively indoors, must not damage the paint if I put it on and the car is not spotless, and not be a paint to take on and off every couple of days. The size that the cover packs down to will be irrelavant as I'll leave the cover in the garage.

As I live in california and have no intention to drive the car in the rain, they'll be no issue of trapping water under the cover.

Whenever the car is under the cover, the soft top will be in place, so as posted higher up I'd want to avoid getting lint on the soft top.

Reccomendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Steve,
I ordered the $135 evolution cover from sector111, had them before, good simple cover, added benefit of working as indoor/outdoor cover, I'll seldom use it as mainly I use the shower cape I got from Sector 111.

The indoor only cover they have is quite nice but I'd rather have one I can use for either purpose personally.
Chris

·
Registered
542 Posts
i'v neveer used a cover before. plan pnly to garage her, so a light weight will do.

2 questions:
will it fold up and fit behind the seats or in the boot?

also, if we went overnite somewhere, and used the cover (after washing of course), would it be OK to use if there was no rain expected??

thanks!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
On the picture of the shower cape on Chris' car it looks like the cape was put on over the soft top. I was under the impression that we wouldn't need to have the top on at all to use the cape. Please let me know as I'm interested in buying one of those

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
ntfl,
I think it can be used both ways, though I'd recommend using the softop plastic supports. Main reason I use the shower cape is at work in the garage, the sun comes in through the sides of the parking garage and where I park, it hits the dash, I want to protect from UV. I wouldn't leave it parked all day with just the cape on, I don't want to make it any easier for scumbag thieves.

I may be mistaken but I think the capes came about because of the really bad leak problem with the older elise softops.

Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
esprit,
The car cover would fit in the boot but would take up a lot of space. The shower cape is actually a better solution for a work type situation, it folds up to about a 10x14" and is relatively flat, stows easily behind the seat.

Chris

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Chris,
just to see if I understand this correctly: For use in an open parking lot the shower cape wouldn't work because if it rained the water would puddle on the cape and probably colapse dumping all of that water inside the car even with the plastic supports of the soft top in place, so if it is to be used outside all day long than I should either use nothing or else get a full outdoor cover. Is that correct?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
How does the shower cap attach? Especially in the rear...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Tim,
As you probably know, the original shower capes anchored off the rear deck lid antenna.
With that no longer existing, it's been changed, they've now included four tabs in the cape pattern. These have super velcro strips on them. You receive four strips of the other side of the velcro which you attach to the underside of the piece that covers the rear window. If you run your hand under this piece, you'll feel a 1" trough on the underside all they way across. You fit these strips in there (this area is painted black on the cars, not body color. At the front they've got straps with male/female clips to put around each side mirror.

Chris

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts