The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days at Infineon have open up. The Shelby club has it, July 5-6:
Summer Heat 2008

Cost goes up $35 after June 22. Already sign up and will be there July 6th. :shift:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Oh the temptation!! :D

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Do most open track days require a 4 point harness?
For this one you can use stock belts unless you are in the Advanced (needs 4 point) or Expert (needs 5 point).

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Thanks for heads up on this. I will join you on that Sunday!

·
Registered
150 Posts
TrackMasters has a few openings for this coming Sat May 31 at Laguna Seca, but its expensive $450. Its only 3 run groups.

LSIR 5-31-08

In contrast, the Shelby club event is quite low ($290) in this era of rising track fees. Also, i noticed that the Shelby Club no longer accepts Snell 95 helmets. Too bad my 14 day old 05 Elise is not ready (no belts or toelink brace yet).

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Also, i noticed that the Shelby Club no longer accepts Snell 95 helmets.
FWIW, on the tech form, it says it accepts SA95... where did you read the SA2K requirement? NEVER MIND, JUST FOUND THE NOTICE (But I will point out that tech form DOES say snelkl 95 is ok)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've talked to one of the Shelby guys that puts this on. Think by a fair amount Infineon is the most expensive of the NorCal tracks. Cost for the weekend is $60k.

If I didn't have a Club autox that day, might have made that Laguna date (was hoping TM would have picked Sunday).

BTW- The Shelby club is the only group I've run with that will do a formal tech inspection. Being a late model car, in my case they went pretty easy on me.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'm tossing around the idea of doing Saturday, but I'm not 100% sure that running with a club would be a good 1st time on track (as opposed to running with someone like HoD). Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
OK, I signed up for both days. This is a great price for Sears Point. Also, I have been taking off too much work for track days. It's nice finding weekend events! (On that tip, I will be doing June 21/22 at Thill with NCRC.)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I'm tossing around the idea of doing Saturday, but I'm not 100% sure that running with a club would be a good 1st time on track (as opposed to running with someone like HoD). Thoughts?
HOD will probably be a bit more beginner-friendly. That said, I'm sure there will be some talented instructors at hand for this Shelby club event. FWIW, Hooked On Driving never rents Sears Point, so if you are looking for an event that doesn't require a hotel stay, then this one is IDEAL.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
That's the tough part...its RIGHT in my backyard. :D Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If this is the first time on track (or Infineon). Sears Point isn't' a very good one. It's pretty technical and unforgiving. Lots of walls form the edge of the track or little to no run off. The Shelby club does a school at one of their Thunderhill days- which is the best track for a newbie to start with. Don't think they have much formal help for this one.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
That's the tough part...its RIGHT in my backyard. :D Decisions, decisions...
Well, given what Larry just wrote, then why don't you do NCRC on the weekend of June 21/22? I can coach you, or you can get an even BETTER coach directly from the club. :)

As for Sears Point: It is more technical than Thill, yes, and there are certainly more immovable objects to hit. But I wouldn't let that stop you. No, I think the more salient comment Larry makes is that the Shelby club won't have much formal help at this event. To be honest, I didn't know that, and that would be a consideration, indeed.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think the biggest thing about Sears Point, is you need to learn the lines. If you mess up one, your off for the next few. Haven't run the novice group with the Shelby club. But the guy that puts it on works in the same building as me, so I can double check how setup they are with instructors.

Last year was the first time I ran Sears Points. Was with Trackmaster, dropped down to the novice group. They were short instructors so it was about the 3rd session before I had one go out with me. Was a big help to get the proper line and speed
up.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Thanks for the info both of you. I'm sure I'll have to swing by the Sears Point event just to watch and say hi at least. :D

Jon, thanks for the heads up on the NCRC event. I'll look into doing one of those days instead. I'm fairly certain I'd feel safer with my novice skills (read: none) on a more forgiving track.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Thanks for the info both of you. I'm sure I'll have to swing by the Sears Point event just to watch and say hi at least. :D

Jon, thanks for the heads up on the NCRC event. I'll look into doing one of those days instead. I'm fairly certain I'd feel safer with my novice skills (read: none) on a more forgiving track.
It's a very forgiving track, at least in terms of making mistakes. I recommend Thunderhill to all beginners. That said, it is still a "technical" track, and in this sense, it's fun and challenging. In many ways, I think Thill is just as challenging as Sears -- but Larry is right in that Sears is a quintessential momentum track, and if you screw up one turn, it can take quite a while to get your momentum back.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well, given what Larry just wrote, then why don't you do NCRC on the weekend of June 21/22? I can coach you, or you can get an even BETTER coach directly from the club. :)

As for Sears Point: It is more technical than Thill, yes, and there are certainly more immovable objects to hit. But I wouldn't let that stop you. No, I think the more salient comment Larry makes is that the Shelby club won't have much formal help at this event. To be honest, I didn't know that, and that would be a consideration, indeed.
jon knows his stuff around these tracks, he would be a good source of info and help..

we also have some coaches available for both the infineon days and the thill days ;) clubs allow us to coach driver in place of their instructors in any run group..

robbie

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Robbie- nice to hear you'll have some coaches around- is that a day of/per session request? They also open up some sessions for a little race series, so it'll be nice to see some wheel to wheel racing going on.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'd strongly recommend Hooked on Driving at Thunderhill for beginners. They've got an excellent program for beginners (all their instructors teach the same line, etc., just like a real school), and Thunderhill is a much less intimidating to a beginner since you aren't driving straight at walls all the time.

Steve

1 - 20 of 28 Posts