The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note to those shopping for better headlight options. This is NOT a judgement on ALL LED headlightss, just on one in particular, and a theory I have based on it.

TLDR - I advice (FWIW) AVOID Infintary H1 LEDs

Some background... My car has had DDM HIDs for 9 years. Ballast died recently, and I went to replace them. Recalling the long turn around time (ships from china), I opted for LEDs I could get right away. My buddy has the infintary LEDs in his Outback (H7 bulb, but everything else, theoretically, the same) and they are awesome in his car.

One of the concerns with LEDs for the Lotus is fitment, since the heat sync, etc, makes a huge base, and we generally don't have room. I noticed in his car that the base was very small. In fact, that's a key piece of marketing for them.

Some data -
Cost - $27.99 (plus tax) Amazon prime free next day shipping
Install - very straight forward. The little LED controller fits in the headlight housing without issue. Used some 3M 5lb mounting tape, to ensure it doesn't rattle around. Total time is no longer, nor more complex than a standard headlight change in our cars.

So? How'd they do?
Terrible!
Light output, advertised at 8000LM was dismal. 6500k color (which should be getting some blue on the white spectrum) was yellow. Throw on the road was washed out entirely by my drivers side HID (after the terrible garage test, I left the HID in the driver's side)

My theory? Just a theory, mind you... H1 bulbs are often used as fogs, in a lot of applications. While advertised as a headlight bulb, maybe Infintary built a fog light? Honestly, I don't know... but it was not worth it. These are getting returned.

My 2c... AVOID THEM.

LED with cooling fits nicely in the bucket

With controller tucked to the side, and mounted with 3M (not provided) (I rewrapped it better after)

Straight on ... the difference is staggering

And against the garage door... just ugg

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
1. You could have/received found HID ballasts in one day from other vendors

2. I have written that LEDs do NOT get the light very far down the road in conversions. This is what The Retrofit Source stated clearly.

g

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. You could have/received found HID ballasts in one day from other vendors

2. I have written that LEDs do NOT get the light very far down the road in conversions. This is what The Retrofit Source stated clearly.

g
1- I agree, but since I had success with DDM (I know other's had mixed results), and didn't want to mix & match sets, I decided to go with what I knew.

2- I know the down road isn't as good, but I was truly shocked by how poor these were.

As noted, I'm not saying ALL LED kits will be this bad. But for those shopping for a quick plug and play fix, I'm offering my own 2c, or my own warning about this specific offering.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
No, sorry, but you didn't go with what you knew. You bought a cheap LED kit we've never heard of and that failed.

Did you search on internet for ballasts? Did you do a search here?

I post this stuff for all new members/owners. Have you never seen it?

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com
no space betweensite:lotustalk.com

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k. As of this writing LEDs are not as good.

g

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, sorry, but you didn't go with what you knew. You bought a cheap LED kit we've never heard of and that failed.

Did you search on internet for ballasts? Did you do a search here?

I post this stuff for all new members/owners. Have you never seen it?

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com
no space betweensite:lotustalk.com

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k. As of this writing LEDs are not as good.

g
I really didn't mean to offend you, and I don't see what's wrong with what I posted.

I didn't state all LED kits were good or bad. I didn't ask a question that would have been easily solved in a search. I'm offering an opinion, and some photographic proof points to a product I purchased and installed. How/Why did I purchase it? I searched (yes using google, and not the internal search tool) and what I came up with on this site, was a large mix of information. Similar to searching this site for DDM kit reviews. Some have had great success (me), others, not.

Some people love LEDs, some don't. Some have had success, some not. There seems to be more information on this site for H7s (07+ cars), which is why I specificied in my subject H1, and 05/06.

I know that a lot of people shop, and search concurrently. Either seeing something on LT, and then shopping for it. Or, shopping for something, and then before pulling the trigger, checking LT.

I didn't post in a vendor's forum, or LED enthusiast group. I posted in the Electrical > Lighting section of Lotustalk. I wrote a short, honest review, of a single product. Not sure why you seem to be jumping off the rails here.

You don't like it, get a moderator to delete it. I've always found this site useful based on people documenting their experiences so others can learn from it.

And, to your first comment
Sorry but you didn't go with what you know....
Yes, I did, if you bothered reading your own question! You asked, in a numbered list... 1 - You could have/received found HID ballasts in one day from other vendors. I replied 1- I agree, but since I had success with DDM (I know other's had mixed results), and didn't want to mix & match sets, I decided to go with what I knew.
How is rebuying a DDM HID kit not "going with what I know?"

You have a lot of contradictions in your post, good man. I invite you to reread what I wrote, where I wrote it, etc. It's just meant to be informative of my experience. Which is what I thought this site was about...

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Why would you think you offended me? You really didn’t and I’m not easily offended.

I thought your search would bring up ppl disappointed in LEDs. I guess I was wrong.

No, had you gone “with what you know”, you would’ve bought DDM or other ballast. Instead, didn’t you buy a crap set of LEDs?? Is your wording confusing me?

I would say there is little difference among ballasts, just as in home lighting. Miix and match?? You could have returned a ballast with pre-arrangement. I have some extras laying about. But, you didn’t call me.

I am 72, but I read at the 75 yr old level. I read really good.

Being defensive is unattractive and not useful. When one of my way-better-than-me mechanics says there’s a better way or that I did something wrong. I don’t defend myself. I really just want to learn.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would you think you offended me? You really didn’t and I’m not easily offended.
Glad no one's offended :)

Didn't know to call you for headlight parts... my bad, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Anyway.. back to your regularly scheduled programs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Really appreciate your detailed writeup. I too have been curious about LED headlights and now know better to stick with my high wattage DDM HID.

And nice of you to indulge the grumpy old man. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
We've seen LED technology increase within the past couple years and I too have been hoping there was a better solution by now, but guess not, it's the direction in which the light is emitted that doesn't play well with our projector.
You stated your friend had a good experience with his LEDs so I dont blame you for trying, and appreciate you for reporting back.

·
Registered
997 Posts
LED retrofit bulbs are not bad because they are LED, they can be bad because they are not putting the light into the correct portion of the reflector and lens. LED bulbs can also be good if they figure out how to get the light where it needs to go, basically imitating the filament of the original style bulb.

At some point, LED's will be better across the board.

·
Less is Better
2,684 Posts
Thanks for the report. Are these multi-source bulbs or are the using one big led? I too have had good luck with retrofits on other cars. I have 7" replacement units from Sylvania on my Miata that throw plenty more light than the halogens that came on the car. The nice thing about the 7" units is that they replace the reflector as well.

I've also had luck with Hikari bulbs on my WRX. That car had reflectors. They had a great pattern and again, plenty of light. I liked them so much that I later replaced the bulbs on the big fog lights too. That car had great night time visibility at that point.

As TedR said, the LEDs just have to be in the right position and have the right viewable angle. The Hikaris had the single, large LED on either side.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The LEDs look exactly like the pictures on Amazon. 3 nubs on each side (2 sides)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did a ful led replacement whiule waiting for the title/probate on my 07 Elise. All went well except for the side markers behind the front wheels, I couldnt find any bulbs that were brighter than the factory incandescents. Dont forget most of the rears are already led 07+. When looking for headlights I noticed the lack of room behind the bulbs, looked around and found Txvso8 H7 LEDs for like 20 bucks and they are the same basic size as the original bulb. Good reviews and numbers (yeah both can be fudged, but at that price I'll take a chance). Listed at 30,000 Lumens and 6000k. I dont have a light meter and honestly havent even used them on a road that didnt have lights (out of town), but did the garage door test and compared brightness across the street at night with the garage door open: brightness, whiteness, and pattern all seamed as good or better. I also tested for amp draw and heat, amperage was lower than the incandescent significantly, I tested temp by leaving the bulb hanging and on for 30 min then twice on the bulb area, once on the mounting base and once near the connector. All were lower on the led, I dont recall temps now, but seem to remember the led being below 200 everywhere. I actually started this as my father had issues with the ground pin on the left headlight connector melting, so I was mostly after lowering wattage, but after seeing output and amp draw, I quickly ordered a second set for the highbeams. Actually I put both new ones in the left bucket and compared high and low to the other side. I agree with the earlier statement that placement is probably more important than output, or maters breatly for led bulbs. I think thats why the side markers were dim, 194 style leds tend to have a lot of led units on the sides and I think the factory lenses cover the bulb side a lot. Most of my other bulbs were the sylvania ones. In summation Im quite impressed with these bulbs, but would like to compare them with some HIDs. I did use a "new" H7 bulb in comparisons too, but saw no dramatic difference too the old ones, "new" is because it was unpackaged, but appeared new, I run a shop so new bulbs are often around and unpackaged. download.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Slight bit of heatsync and an aluminum body, but as I said was cooler than the original halogens. Tested both after a half hour and again ten min later and temp was consistent. Mine are set to running lights so are on with ign, havent died yet, but I dont drive much. I do drive mostly in town, so bumpy ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts