The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come across or heard any parts that may get loose or broken in the engine bay that would bang against the motor?

SC bracket, intercooler mounts or intercooler heatshield?

Maybe something in the pulley system?

Motor mounts?

Or something further down that's hard to see...especially down the firewall side.

Car is so loud it's hard to hear anything unless one puts a microphone down there while driving.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Motor mounts? I doubt it as when I had my stock front and rear mounts replaced they were toast and they were still silent.

San

·
Registered
926 Posts
Exhaust manifold heat shield (the lower one, easier to access from under the car), it breaks at the upper mounts (mine broke at the upper forward mount).

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removed that heatshield a while ago when I installed the 2bular system.

the only thing I know that rattles is the exhaust tip. It is riveted to the elbow in a few spots. I highly doubt that would travel all the way through the exhaust system and set off the knock sensor.

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Shay, does your 2bular system have a flexible portion? Just trying to determine rattle. Some folks like me have used a 2bular header, welded a flange in to the stock cat, then hooked it up to the pipe. With no flex it was noisy.

Semi ridged motor mounts? When I put mine in the noises went way up. Love them but rattles a lot.

Sector Jawbone? With semi ridged engine mounts my wife's Elise was insane noisy.

RLS heat shield? A bit of RTV on the bottom side where it mounts makes a world of difference. Instructions tell you to do this. I blew it off and learned.

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shay, does your 2bular system have a flexible portion? Just trying to determine rattle. Some folks like me have used a 2bular header, welded a flange in to the stock cat, then hooked it up to the pipe. With no flex it was noisy.

Semi ridged motor mounts? When I put mine in the noises went way up. Love them but rattles a lot.

Sector Jawbone? With semi ridged engine mounts my wife's Elise was insane noisy.

RLS heat shield? A bit of RTV on the bottom side where it mounts makes a world of difference. Instructions tell you to do this. I blew it off and learned.
Yeah, the header has a flex section.

No Jawbone, but I do have the front & back motor mount inserts. Very noticeable increase in vibrations after the install.

For the heatshield I used 3 washer (1 metal & 2 rubber) for each corner to raise and isolate it. When I first installed the heatshield it was rattling on the driver's side bracket and was really close to hitting the valve cover.

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Any luck?

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Could it be the bearings in the nose of the supercharger? That would give off a good rattle, whereas the bearings in the alternator would give off a whine or a squeal...

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
That's a good one too JJ!

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any luck?
I'll be looking at it this weekend. Maybe take it into VSA again if I don't see anything.

Could it be the bearings in the nose of the supercharger? That would give off a good rattle, whereas the bearings in the alternator would give off a whine or a squeal...
I hope it's not the supercharger, well at least I don't hear anything. I mean it's right behind your ears. I still have to check the oil level in that thing.

Nope, nothing obvious when I'm driving. Except for one thing that I hear once in a while. Kind of like coins rolling around. It sounds like something is loose from under the dash - passenger side. Probably it's coming from the engine compartment since the transmission noises sound like it's coming from the passenger footwell also.

Car has only 18k miles.

·
I'll do it my way
312 Posts
Check the plastic piece inside the rear part of the roof scoop that feeds into the IC. shroud--sometimes that can come loose and rattle.

Also the stock engine mounts allow enough play for the IC to hit the stock hatch prop.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,662 Posts
Does it change when you cycle AC on / off ?

I had a wiked vibration come through with my motor mount inserts. At idle. It has kind of gone away over time.

It typically happened when I came to a stoplight. I would cycle the AC on and it would go away. It was intermittent anyway.

I am still uncertain of the type of sound your experiencing and when it happens etc... :shrug:

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There have been issues with the serpentine belt idlers also.
I'll check it out. Thanks!

Does it change when you cycle AC on / off ?

I had a wiked vibration come through with my motor mount inserts. At idle. It has kind of gone away over time.

It typically happened when I came to a stoplight. I would cycle the AC on and it would go away. It was intermittent anyway.

I am still uncertain of the type of sound your experiencing and when it happens etc... :shrug:
No, the sound happens no matter what. Whatever it is I have to assume it's setting off the knock sensor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts