The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from LOG, in the tech session these subjects were discussed.

The A/C unit is built by bergrstrom for Lotus. At some point during manufacture bergstrom determined a problem with a regulator/solenoid/sensor (something like that) that wasn't functioning properly. This change was made and Lotus is in the process of figuring out what vin range is affected. Will be fixed under warranty.

The oil cooler - apparently in the early build cars the particular way the hoses were attached to the oil coolers and tightened caused stress on the fittings. This assembly process has been altered to prevent from occuring again. They're in the process of issuing a service bulletin on what vin ranges are affected, please note: it only happened to a few cars in a certain build range and not all. ALso, it was NOT a catastrophic failure (ie split, etc). It just developed a very slow intermittent drip at the lower fitting. What would then happen, oil would seep down onto the foam rubber cushion at the bottom of the oil cooler, when this became saturated, you'd then get a drip which would be noticed on the floor of your garage. An easy way to check yours is to reach under the front clam where the oil coolers are located and give a squeeze to the rubber pad, if it's saturated with oil might want to have it looked at. Apparently if it hasn't happened in the first few hundred miles it won't. AGAIN THE BUILD PROCESS HAS BEEN REVISED TO PREVENT REOCCURENCE ON LATER CARS.

They also had a set of clear polycarbon front lower clam protectors, to be mounted to the right and left lower clam. Should be available soon.

The Lotus guys of course read this board and did make reference to the warranty issues for autocrossing or track day cars. Basically not an issue and at the autocross this morning I'm promise that Dave Simkin, Andy Plante and Tony Shute of lotus WERE NOT scooting around getting vins on the autocrossed elises!

Of further note, if heard right the 500th US elise has started build this week.

Finally, to let everyone know Arnie was not forgotten, some great guy made a "thanks arnie" bumper sticker with pic of the elise on it, they were posted on doors at the hotel on car windows at the concours etc. Great to see he's still though highly of by the Lotus community and rightfully so!! Never could find out who had them would love to have gotten some, I think Kiyoshi got one.

Chris

·
Registered
549 Posts
All good info!!>

Thanks chris and so far I have had no problems with AC or oil coolers...then again I am not a member of the 1000 mile clubl yet:bow: Took a nice 120 mile cruise today...early in the morning headed out to the mountains and enjoy cool brisk air and great roads... I do really like this car...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thanks for the update, Chris. Good to hear that the problems get addressed so quickly. I'm not surprised that there are a few issues with the early cars, the important thing is that they're taken care of.

·
Registered
157 Posts
kind of odd don't you think, that these issues weren't discovered and resolved with the euro version (111R) since it has been out for months before we started getting our cars?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
HOCKYDOC said:
kind of odd don't you think, that these issues weren't discovered and resolved with the euro version (111R) since it has been out for months before we started getting our cars?
IIRC, the Euoro cars don't have the oil coolers, though I think the Aussie cars may.

·
Registered
401 Posts
500th U.S. car? They are flying along. That's great. If they are shooting for 2,000 or more a year, 500 is not bad considering there start date. The fact that they are still ramping up, indicates they may be delivering quite a few in the next 6 months. Awesome news!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They've not established a vin range for the a/c (waiting on info from a/c manuf. on that), I think they have or are establishing vin range for oil cooler. Don't think they'd necessarily be the same range as are unrelated.
Chris

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the info. Certainly great to hear they have been working on the known problems. Makes me a bit more at ease being far from a dealer.
Glad to hear they are up to 500 :clap:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
This sounds like a common plumbing problem. When you tighten the hose to a fitting, the fitting experiences stresses far higher than it would ever see in service. One solution is to hold the fitting steady while the hose end is tightened onto it. In plumbing you often use two wrenches to accomplish the same basic thing. This also means that if your car is not a leaker right away, it's likely going to stay fine for the duration.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Math works for all US.

End of July was 277 US cars built. Production rate then was 47 cars per week. It was supposed to increase.

5 weeks later times 47 cars per week + 277 cars is 512 cars now.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
adamant- are you with a small dealer? It was my impression that some of them didn't put first orders in until March. Don't think second batch cars will show up until the early next month. Either way it would be nice to get them soon.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Iff there is one good thing about taking delivery a bit later, it is that some of the bugs will be worked out in the meanwhile. If there is another, then it may be the availability of other option/colors, but you will have to wait much longer for those.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts