The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a NA 2006 polar blue exige at Park Place. Apparently the color is relatively rare so I was hoping that someone knew the history of the car. The car looks like it has been tracked (the front rotors are scored and worn at 7500 miles). The interior has a bit more wear than it should for its age (lots of scratches and dings). Curbed wheels that have been poorly repaired. Front spoiler cracked with numerous scrapes. Otherwise it seems to run and drive fine.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am looking at a NA 2006 polar blue exige at Park Place. Apparently the color is relatively rare so I was hoping that someone knew the history of the car. The car looks like it has been tracked (the front rotors are scored and worn at 7500 miles). The interior has a bit more wear than it should for its age (lots of scratches and dings). Curbed wheels that have been poorly repaired. Front spoiler cracked with numerous scrapes. Otherwise it seems to run and drive fine.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ed
Your best bet is to contact the dealer and ask them those questions. Unless it had a previous owner who's on here (LT), eveyone else would simply be speculating. They're a reputable dealer and you shouldn't hesitate to ask them.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Your best bet is to contact the dealer and ask them those questions. Unless it had a previous owner who's on here (LT), eveyone else would simply be speculating. They're a reputable dealer and you shouldn't hesitate to ask them.
Riiiiiiiiiiight. 'Cause reputable dealers never have salespeople who lie or make sh*t up.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Your best bet is to contact the dealer and ask them those questions. Unless it had a previous owner who's on here (LT), everyone else would simply be speculating. They're a reputable dealer and you shouldn't hesitate to ask them.
His best bet is to contact the original owner. Park Place is unlikely to supply that information. Coming online and taking a shot that it might have belonged to a member from the community seems to be a perfectly valid option.

You will however want to deal directly with the dealer about what they'll fix/replace for you as part of the purchase agreement. I didn't buy mine from Park Place, but their service people have been fantastic to me so far.

What do you plan on doing with the car? And how soon would you find yourself wanting to supercharge it? Are you sure you want an 06 Exige instead of an Elise? If that car has issues that you're concerned about you should take a look at the other cars too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Riiiiiiiiiiight. 'Cause reputable dealers never have salespeople who lie or make sh*t up.
Yet, you know so much about this particular dealer because of past dealings, right? Gimme a break! :rolleyes:

mjf is correct and it does not hurt to ask however, my point is if you like the way the car drives but your only concern is history, a simple trip to their service department (ecu print out) and possibly car fax report (which is not the end all be all) should ease your mind and that's what I meant by asking your dealer first.....:shrug:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Yet, you know so much about this particular dealer because of past dealings, right? Gimme a break! :rolleyes:

mjf is correct and it does not hurt to ask however, my point is if you like the way the car drives but your only concern is history, a simple trip to their service department (ecu print out) and possibly car fax report (which is not the end all be all) should ease your mind and that's what I meant by asking your dealer first.....:shrug:
An ecu print out truly doesn't mean anything. One simple reflash at your 1000 mile service or thereafter and all the over-revs and standing starts are magically gone.

That ecu dump and a car fax report would do nothing to ease my mind.

·
Registered
431 Posts
An ecu print out truly doesn't mean anything. One simple reflash at your 1000 mile service or thereafter and all the over-revs and standing starts are magically gone.

That ecu dump and a car fax report would do nothing to ease my mind.
Yes but it starts all over again, it's starts to record all the data after the first service and to be honest, it's the after service data that you need to be worry about. Also, seeing that the vehicle shows signs of track use, I'd want to know what the current data shows and that would definitely ease my mind ;)

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Yes but it starts all over again, it's starts to record all the data after the first service and to be honest, it's the after service data that you need to be worry about. Also, seeing that the vehicle shows signs of track use, I'd want to know what the current data shows and that would definitely ease my mind ;)
The ecu can be reflashed at any time, not just at the after sales service, thereby erasing any (abuse) information.

For the sake of argument, if I wished to sell my car (which I'm not) and have abused it (which I haven't), I could pay to get the ecu reflashed, drive for a few hundred miles, and get a clean ecu dump printed out. That in combination with the clean car fax report should then ease the mind of the purchaser?

I, personally, think that too much trust is placed in the "all powerful" ecu dump and things are very easily hidden, just like with any used car sale.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The ecu can be reflashed at any time, not just at the after sales service, thereby erasing any (abuse) information.

For the sake of argument, if I wished to sell my car (which I'm not) and have abused it (which I haven't), I could pay to get the ecu reflashed, drive for a few hundred miles, and get a clean ecu dump printed out. That in combination with the clean car fax report should then ease the mind of the purchaser?

I, personally, think that too much trust is placed in the "all powerful" ecu dump and things are very easily hidden, just like with any used car sale.
Well, it wouldn't be too difficult to get the ecu records from Lotus itself, need to talk nice to the regional technical rep. So you could get some if not all of the pre-reflash records.

The real problem with the 06's is that some (manyy) of them were delivered new with the ECU's recording NO data whatsoever, requiring a complete replacement of the ECU. In that event, even Lotus wouldn't have any ecu dumps to look at until such time the ECU was replaced. The car would've had no 1000 mile data even if the owner took it to the dealer for the service.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Well, it wouldn't be too difficult to get the ecu records from Lotus itself, need to talk nice to the regional technical rep. So you could get some if not all of the pre-reflash records.

The real problem with the 06's is that some (manyy) of them were delivered new with the ECU's recording NO data whatsoever, requiring a complete replacement of the ECU. In that event, even Lotus wouldn't have any ecu dumps to look at until such time the ECU was replaced. The car would've had no 1000 mile data even if the owner took it to the dealer for the service.
The only records that Lotus themselves would have would be the 1000 mile service data and who knows if all of the service departments actually send anything in. Any other reflash, particularly those at the owner's expense, would not be sent to Lotus and they would have no record of them.

·
Registered
431 Posts

True but, it's more than just looking at the ecu and car fax. I would think and hope that someone buying this type of car would buy from a reputable Lotus dealer and also have a delivery inspection done before making a decision.

It was icing on the cake that the previous owner is a member on LT and this is all a moot point now.

Peace :up:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
It was icing on the cake that the previous owner is a member on LT and this is all a moot point now.

Peace :up:
+1. I think the buyer is going to get much more useful information from the non-selling previous owner of the car.

Cheers ;).

·
Registered
431 Posts
The only records that Lotus themselves would have would be the 1000 mile service data and who knows if all of the service departments actually send anything in. Any other reflash, particularly those at the owner's expense, would not be sent to Lotus and they would have no record of them.
Actually, the dealers are supposed to and do send in all the 1k mile ecu data and keep records on file for each one.

Any other reflash paid by the owner stays in the dealers records per company policy...the dealers that is.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
That is not entirely accurate. I've seen service documents at the dealer that direct the dealer to send ECU readings to Lotus at service intervals post-1000. I say not entirely accurate and not definitively inaccurate because the local dealer has handed me, during ownership and service of Elise and 2006 Exige, 'official' service intervals and descriptions of what is to be done. And no two were alike. One of which did actually appear to be a Lotus generated document, one of the others looked like someone at the dealership typed it up. The 'official' one did indicate that ECU dumps were to be done subsequent to the 1000 mile service, and sent to Lotus.

All that notwithstanding, IF any warranty claims re the engine or drivetrain had been made, Lotus most certainly would have ECU data, as they would insist on it as part of researching the claim.

I agree, many dealers may not do it, but my guess is that all do send in the 1000 service, otherwise Lotus may tell the dealer that the dealer is stuck with any warranty work that could be related to the 1000 service having been performed, and running history reviewed.

Finally, I would not totally dismiss the ECU dump as worthless, and being rendered meaningless by one reflash. You can look at an ECU dump and determine if the total running time of the engine in any way approximates what it should read based on miles. If a reflash has been done, the running time discrepancy should be pretty obvious.

EDIT: I have in front of me a document given me by the local dealer titled "Factory Scheduled Maintenance for Lotus Elise Sportscars."

It lists A, B, and C services. It states that for 'B' and 'C' services, the dealer is to "Print engine history and send to Lotus Cars USA."

Again, this is one of two or three different 'official' service interval documents this dealer has given me.

As an fyi, each time I've had the car serviced I've had them do an ECU dump for my records, and believe it or not the dealer has never charged me for this.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
This probably doesn't matter much, but FWIW, Terry is an awesome driver and well respected in the driver community. I am sure the car was well cared for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all of the input. especially from terry. hopefully i will be a new exige owner next week and soon after head for the track.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
thanks for all of the input. especially from terry. hopefully i will be a new exige owner next week and soon after head for the track.
His input is the only that really matters.

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts