The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at and drove an Elise this weekend and am seriously considering buying the car. The car is available as a result of the Buyer backing out after ordering. I have a couple of questions before purchasing and would appreciate thoughts and comments from others on this board. First of all, the only problem I saw with the car is dealing with the door sill and getting in and out of the car. The question I have is how much of a hassle is it to get in and out of the car on a daily basis? In other words, is the ingress/egress issue such that buying this car for a daily driver is not practical? The other question relates to Dealer premiums. The Dealer (in Florida) wants a $5K premium on top of MSRP. Is this the current market practice? Thanks in advance for your help with these issues.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ingress and egress is not a problem if you're flexible and don't have back problems. I don't mind the effort required one bit.

A $5k premium is pretty typical in the warm weather states for a car that is immediately available. I believe some Elises are selling for closer to MSRP than that, but you'd generally be buying from a midwest or northeast dealer in that case and have to deal with transport costs.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the ingress/egress. After a couple of times you get the hang of it. I'm 6ft and have no problems getting in and out, it does become a habit after a while. As to 'market adjustment' it varies region by region.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
At this point, I have stopped noticing the raised door sill, and that's with my hardtop on. With the top off, it's nothing to worry about. If my pregnant wife can get in and out, then you'll be good. ;)

Also, I'm 6'3" to put it in perspective.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am 6'4 and don't worry, you get better and better at it. Look at it this way: something is a lot more fun when you actually have to sacrifice something for it, right?

I personally have never heard of somebody giving up on the Liz because of the difficult access/exit. If you do, let me know, I need to slap some sense into that person.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
6'4" here and getting in and out is no issue at all for the driver after a few days. The passengers definetelly have a harder time because they are not used to geting in and out.
On the market premium, $5K seems about right for an in stock vehicle especially considering that people who have been waiting for over a year and in some cases over 2 years still haven't received their cars.
Good luck to you if you decide to buy it!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I have no problem getting in/out, and actually am pretty fluid with it. People always watch me get in and usually have a surprised look at how easy I make it look.

5K seems a bit high in January, but to do better you'll have to travel or transport.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
The first times may be awkward. Most people develop their own personally ways of entering and exiting. Once you find your personal style, it really becomes quiet easy. After a few weeks, it's second nature. It's not a car you want to get in and out of 20-30 times a day. But for normal daily driving (which I do), it's not too bad.

As for the $5,000 over MSRP mark up, you may be able to find dealer who would be willing to let a car go for less. My thoughts are between $3,000 to MSRP. You may want to try the dealers in the "snow belt" states.

However, keep in mind the MSRP was recently raised for all cars PRODUCED in January from $41,000 to $43,000. This may cause some dealers to be more resolute in their mark up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
As everyone said, getting in/out becomes second nature and I don't even think about it. Just remember to move the seat all the way back. With the seat aft, it is much easier getting in/out. This same technique is used getting in/out of small airplanes.

That markup is way to high. I suspect $2k at the most. I got mine off the show room floor as an available unit for $480 over MSRP at Thanksgiving time. Call all the dealers, than negotiate hard with them.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
yup - depends on "which" msrp the premium is added to.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Over time you get much better at getting in and out. I do this several times a day, every day, and it no longer bugs me.

Getting in is now one fast fluid motion for me; over time it probably will be for you too. (take this with a grain of salt since I'm only 5' 10'')

Getting out ... having to empty my hands in order to get out is the only remaining annoyance I still have (cause I tend to grab the sill on the way out.) *shrug* you get also get used to this.

With the top off it's so easy it's a joke ... I walk in and then sit down.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
As the owner, you'll find your own comfortable way to get in and out soon enough. It's passengers that have a hard time, and if you frequently pick up new people, it might be a concern. They'll kick the crap out of your door, sill, dash... and then slam the door.

If you frequently carry bags/briefcase, it's a small hassle to toss them onto the passenger seat without walking around the car.

If you have a full belt of tech gear or janitor keys, that has to come off first too.

If you want to drive with the top off, and park with it on.. that could get old too.

Just stuff to consider, but it all fades when you're behind the wheel..

·
Registered
670 Posts
So I guess I'll be the lone dissenting opinion here. Ingress and egress is more difficult than probably any car you've ever experienced. Can it get easier, yes it can. I have heard of a person selling their car because of it. Back problems.

I would never consider the Elise as a daily driver, but if you're younger than my 54 years you might have a different opinion.
I would not want it to be my only car. I would not want to exit a grocery store in the rain with two bags of groceries and find somebody had parked close enough that I couldn't get the driver door open all the way. Bummer.

5K over is too much for this car IMO

Steve

·
Registered
389 Posts
Daily driver here, no problem at all with getting in and out of the car multiple times a day. Having said that, I'm young, relatively fit, and 'Elise sized' (5' 4 and 116 lbs). I can get out, in and back out again in the time it takes my passengers to figure out how to open the door! :p

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
Another comment supporting that you get a personal style after maybe 4-5 times that you do it. I only picked up my car on Friday but it is amazing how easy and fluid if is once you get used to it.

--Josh

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
First time I got into an Elise, the top was off. No problem. (I'm 5'10" and about 250 pounds.) The next time was at Newport European and the top was on. It was comical. It required having someone shove my big butt into the car. And getting out involved falling onto the floor and dragging the rest of my torso out. :rolleyes:

Now that I have the Elise, I've gotten quite good at getting in and out of the car. Oh... and I make it a point to leave the top off as often as possible! :p

Bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sownman said:
So I guess I'll be the lone dissenting opinion here. Ingress and egress is more difficult than probably any car you've ever experienced. Can it get easier, yes it can. I have heard of a person selling their car because of it. Back problems.
Hmmm...okay I can't slap a person with back problems and it is understandable after all.

A real shame though. Should get an Esprit then....

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
JWA said:
I only picked up my car on Friday but it is amazing how easy and fluid if is once you get used to it. --Josh
Josh! Congradulations! The Elise is something isn't it!

I don't think anyone can deny that the Elise is more difficult to enter/exit than most other cars, and it's true that someone in Arizona returned a car because his wife, who had a bad back, was in such pain.

So, it really comes down to physical restrictions and finding a technique to get in an out of the Elise. It took me about 3 days before I found my method and in those 3 days are was a bit sore. But at this point, it's as natural as tying my shoes.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
After a few days of ownership it was a non-issue for me, but then again, because of strong local contingent, I've been around Elises for months before taking delivery.

I might even call getting in fun...

·
Registered
543 Posts
i too am "elise sized" at 5'3"/140#, and getting in has never been an issue.
it's actually fun.

would i want to do it on a daily basis, no, but i'd get used to it. it's just our weather up here doesn't make for too many fun-car days this time of year.

but you're in florida, go for it! but negotiate the extra moola first, like the other good posters have mentioned...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts