The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a rear Innovative Mount (I think the 60A) from BOE, mainly to fix some slop I noticed with throttle applications, with a lot of drive-line shunt thrown into the mix. Having had stiffer engine mounts on a previous car I am aware of the expected increase of transmitted vibration and associated rattles - the technicians of the company I work for seemed to be miffed when they installed the mount as to why I would submit myself to such torture. Perhaps they weren't exaggerating too much.

It's not so bad - I've seemed to localise the rattles to 3 main areas:
- Driver's side hard top attachment bolt cover (most of the bolts are threaded from a previous incident when the car was still a company demonstrator, so the cover cannot actually be tightened)
- Driver's side seatbelt anchor point
- Entire rear speaker panel and associated parts (like the seat belt anchor brace in particular)

There is also I think a minor vibration from the dashboard, above the A/C controls.

There's a natural resonance frequency of around 2500-3000rpm where these components really generate a high amplitude vibration, above which the rattles disappear. What have people used as methods to cure these? I guess I could use Dynamat/padding in some areas but are there other specifics? As I saw on Sand's Museum page, indeed the rear air vent did vibrate, which just turning it in a slightly different direction did fix, before reading of it.

Cannot fault the mount otherwise if people may be getting intimidated by this, great throttle response now, and the vibration has subdued a bit as the mount got some miles on it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
When I first installed my stiffer mounts, there was a resonance frequency of the tub I think that hit right about at idle and was REALLY annoying. But after about two track weekends, it settled down. I no longer joke that my driver's seat is also a back massager.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I first installed my stiffer mounts, there was a resonance frequency of the tub I think that hit right about at idle and was REALLY annoying. But after about two track weekends, it settled down. I no longer joke that my driver's seat is also a back massager.
+1, first time I started my car after the uprated engine mount from BOE got installed, I thought my car would fall into thousand pieces lol. (OK, this is exaggerated).

After a week, this will settle down. You can still notice a bit more vibration than stock, but not annoying at all!

·
Less is Better
2,793 Posts
I bought a sheet of self-adhesive felt and put little pieces where ever I could see that parts might be rubbing on each other. It's a constant battle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm - I kept myself at just the one, and I'm glad I did, I mean I can bare it and as much as I don't like passengers, well. This would seal it!

This would sound to be a natural case though with trim rattling? Seems extreme, felt padding it is!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Phil installed (1) rear sport insert on my car (from s111), it went in during the REV install. Perfect! I mean perfect for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts