The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to put a new exhaust on my Exige S240. I am looking for something louder than stock, but with no drone. Additionally, if possible, I would still like to hear some supercharger whine. Does anyone with experience with either (or both) of these system have any thoughts about these systems in relation to what I am looking for?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I have the sonic fury diffuser exit on my s240. It does sound great and does not drone. It is very livable but not quiet. It does drown out a lot of the supercharger whine and at least in cabin you really have to listen for it but it is still there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
having owned both, I give the nod to the sonic for street use.
to my ears, both sound similar at 5k rpm and below, above that the sonic is louder and higher pitched which I like. the drone is less with the sonic.
fwiw, when I took apart the boe unit after a few years of use, the packing was totally fine. If I spent more time at the track it would be a different story.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I've repacked the Silent Touch muffler about 5 times over the course of a few years.
The method and materials used have a definite impact on the exhaust note.

If you pack it with mainly stainless steel scrubble and only a small amount of fiberglass shreds
then it will have greater drone and more volume, however the packing will not blow out as fast. (if
at all if the car is not tracked) The scrabble is incredibly durable but offers no sound attenuation. Its
role is to protect the fiberglass. I once packed with all scrubble and the result was as if there was no muffler
at all. This was not repeated.

Packed with entirely fiberglass mat the material will blow out or turn to glass beads
in no time. I wrapped the perforated tube in exclusively fiberglass mat. This was not
repeated.

Packed entirely with Spec 19 or racetex (Bristol Core) the material will be directly
exposed to the gases and blow out or melt prematurely than is protected by a layer
of either SS scrabble or SS cloth.

I've used SS mesh, SS cloth, fiberglass shreds/loose, and came up with a good middle
ground between good sound and longevity of the materials.

-Wrap the perforated tube with S400 SS cloth pad (bristol core) and secure with worm band clamps on either end and middle. Securing the cloth is important because without clamps it will get bunched up towards the outlet side on the canister leaving the tube exposed to the fiberglass shreds which will melt and blow out easily.
Then use Bristol Core Spec 19 shreds stuffing them especially well around the end caps. The packing density of the shreds is directly correlated with the sound level and amount of drone. When packing use a wooden dowel. If you pack it too firmly the sound will be greater, drone greater, and longevity greater.....the converse is true if packed loosely.

I have no experience with the Sonic Fury no-drone exhaust.
A re-packable muffler is advantageous for street use and a must for heavy track use.

·
Acme Super Moderator The Enforcer
6,641 Posts
If you want more supercharger whine, get a kit with the smaller pulley, injectors, tune and intake. The difference is night and day. The additional power is also a bonus.

San

1 - 7 of 7 Posts