The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Electric Lotus at BOE!!!

Actually no, but look at the torque curve and you may second guess!

BOE REVX + BOE Engine + BWR Trans + Pump E85 + Stock ECU + A/C + Stereo + Stock Exterior + Stock Interior = One of the fastest SLEEPER Lotus Street Terrors out there!

This is, hands down, the quickest accelerating, and scariest street car we've ever driven.

What is so cool is that it's a very simple car relative to others that have had similar power. Plus the power delivery is so linear, it's like having a V12 back there!

Street characteristics are as stock as they come, but mash the throttle and if you're under a 100mph on a cool day, the rear end may just swap out! IN---SANE:nerd:

An honest **460whp** is perhaps **540hp** at the crank (15% driveline reduction). Power is ON TAP with the positive displacement twinscrew supercharger. No spooling, no waiting, no huge turbo, no sprays, or complex injection or compounded boost systems... It's simply instant torque... Ponder this for a minute on a Lotus that looks and drives like a stock car, and on the stock ECU :cool:

If you see a stock looking Elise with a 3" tailpipe that seems to exhibit a little extra rumble at idle in the midwest, you may think twice about that 10mph roll-on !

Enjoy!

Phil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Sounds pretty insane to me. Are you putting a "package" together, so all of the components compliment each other without a weak link? Looks like the bases are covered in that particular car.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Dream torque curve, well done.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Stock transmission?
Is the HEX still able to keep IATs in control with the Whipple at higher boost?

Are you guys still running the factory MAF at that power level?

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Wow! Great work, Phil.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds pretty insane to me. Are you putting a "package" together, so all of the components compliment each other without a weak link? Looks like the bases are covered in that particular car.
Not a package really, as we've done this several different ways.

We keep the REVX components in-stock if anyone is interested. The "Kit" is about 10 grand. You need a built motor that can handle 25 psi boost. We have some flash tunes done, but not for every configuration and that's why we haven't gotten around to offering it on the website... that said, if you're interested in the REVX kit, let us know. Anyone running a standalone can use this kit and within some reason to play with flash tunes and some data can run the kit as well...

I don't really care where you get the motor, but take care that you spec the correct compression for your fuel. 9:1 is required for pump fuels and pump E85, IMO. If you're running barrel VP/Sunoco E85 or 100+ octane from VP/Sunoco you can bump the compression up to 10.5 or 11:1 for more power...

Depending on the motor specs (cam, rockers, etc) and fuel (octane/ethanol/etc) we've seen an honest 385whp up to 515whp with REVX...

Dream torque curve, well done.
Thanks. It's quite epic to drive.

That torque curve is table flat... nice!

Be curious what you guys could do with a K20, seeing what you guys did with the 1zz.
Thanks. It's a 2ZZ... there are no good (in my view) supercharger kits for the Honda. We could surely make a nice one, just not sure we're in the market for it... We're putting our resources into the motors that come with the Lotus cars at the moment...

Stock transmission?
Is the HEX still able to keep IATs in control with the Whipple at higher boost?

Are you guys still running the factory MAF at that power level?
These cars all run the front hex. For short bursts, the rear hex can work but not for sustained pulls. It was never designed for 25psi... the front hex has no issue with it...

Factory MAF sensor, but the sensor is in a 3.5" tube. We also run a larger throttle body. We have a 70mm throttle body for BOTH the DBW and Cable cars that are plug and play!!! The larger throttle bodies, at this level make power right out of the gate as we observed on back to back dyno testing... We also use the largest ITG airbox they make. It was also critical in the design in our testing when we first started building these REVX powerplants...

-Phil

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks. It's a 2ZZ... there are no good (in my view) supercharger kits for the Honda. We could surely make a nice one, just not sure we're in the market for it... We're putting our resources into the motors that come with the Lotus cars at the moment...
True, and I imagine a turbo won't give that kind of torque curve.

Very good stuff, wish I had a torque curve that flat

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Groundbreaking.

·
Vendor
3,163 Posts
I've driven one of these cars it is a hoot. Power comes on very controlled i.e. no huge torque gain like a turbo or big V8/V10. Builds like crazy and feels like a sledgehammer to the back of the head. Once you "catch up to the car" it is manageable but always exhilarating. Very much a "cash in the 401k" kind of deal. While I admire the sleeper it would be hard not to want to put much bigger tires outback.....

·
Registered
725 Posts
How much overlap is there between this kit and the rev400?

Aka if you were already running a front mount hex Rev 400 setup, would it just be a matter of changing the blower/intake manifold and any ancillaries like fuel.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,267 Posts
:up: I like the dipstick!

·
Registered
224 Posts
There has to be bigger and better plans for this car. All that power and still stockish seems like a waste. Great job with the power plant, that's insane.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much overlap is there between this kit and the rev400?

Aka if you were already running a front mount hex Rev 400 setup, would it just be a matter of changing the blower/intake manifold and any ancillaries like fuel.
The manifold has to come here for some modifications (which are reversible), a new blower, MAF tube, some brackets, an other inlet manifold, and so-forth... ends up being about 6500 to upgrade a REV400... To do it right, you'll add the 70mm throttle body... You need the 9:1 motor... Stock rods have been tested and so far have been up to the task... as been discussed in the past, the stock rods are good parts... you could do 9:1 Mahle drop-ins on the cheap... Stage 3 cams and solid rockers are money well spent. We keep all that jazz in stock...

:up: I like the dipstick!
Good eye... thought you might like that :D

There has to be bigger and better plans for this car. All that power and still stockish seems like a waste. Great job with the power plant, that's insane.
A street sleeper has some pretty cool appeal for a lot of folks:cool: It's still a Lotus, which means it brakes better and handles better in perfectly stock form than just about anything else out there:clap:

Cheers,

Phil

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I'm probably just not reading correctly. Does this car have the front HEX? If so, how did you retain AC? If not, is there any way to retain AC with a front HEX?

Beautiful build. All your stuff has me salivating.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
yeah, but will it go 100k miles..............

think about this, the car has more horsepower at ~3700 rpm than a stock Elise has at peak, you are upshifting into peak horsepower

that's just nuts

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,392 Posts
I'm probably just not reading correctly. Does this car have the front HEX? If so, how did you retain AC? If not, is there any way to retain AC with a front HEX?

Yes, you can have the Hex and AC. You won't get the maximum horsepower, but it will still be impressive.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/5248001-post6.html

San

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Yes, you read right. We have done several installations now where we mounted the hex underneath the crash structure. It works out quite nicely. It is of course, not ideal to have the exit air going underneath the car, but it does work very well. To even an advanced driver, they would probably not notice the impact, if any on the aerodynamics.

The airflow across the core would be slightly reduced. Again, it is not perfect. However, it is still very good, and the cooling water sheds nearly as much heat in this configuration as it does with the air going out above the car. The crash structure invariably shrouds some of the heat exchanger, but it is not prohibitive.

-Phil

1 - 20 of 25 Posts