The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Fantastic, Bill. I'll likely never have the opportunity, so it was great living vicariously through you. Do NOT tell us the mystery color; you could mess things up for all future tourers.

Thanks again.:clap:

·
Old Dude
2005 Lotus Elise touring, hard top, Starshield
1,324 Posts
Bill, fantastic writeup - you should author an article for publication - I was enthralled - never too much detail or content for me - love to make the trip and you made me feel like I was there. THANK YOU!! :bow:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Alan,
The Lotus Driving Experience will end for the year (because of weather) in two weeks. Halloween is your last chance this year. October 30th, actually.
Bill

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
ChrisH, I can't remember the temperature they bake them at, but she told us. I'll find out for you.

Ground Loop,
The whole VIN thing was another touchy situation that I omitted from my write up. I got my hand slapped for snooping there too. I know all kinds of VIN's because I had planned to come back home and say "Hey, who has XXXXX and XXXXX? I saw your car being made!!!" But alas, I got yelled at and then was told I can't tell anyone what numbers I saw, because then people will be expecting their cars soon, and if something delays, customers will go nuts on them.

But I will say this: It's over 750. By a lot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
1FASTMX5,
The Tour was $50 USD (30 pounds) I think per person. That was more though because it was on Friday and not Wednesday. I forgot to mention that Friday's at Hethel are half days! They go home early! The tour costs around $750 USD per person.
Bill

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
For those in the US wanting to call them (still two spots left for the October 30 day, the number you would dial is 011 44 1953 608 830.
You could ask for Annette and she will hook you up. As a side note, we were there for Peter Sixsmith's next to last day. He is moving to London to pursue some career in TV production. Peter was the Track Coordinator for Lotus Sport. The hours there are from 8:15 am to 4:30 pm and they are 8 hours ahead of the West Coast, and 5 hours ahead of the East coast of the US.

·
Registered
640 Posts
steadicam said:
Alan,
The Lotus Driving Experience will end for the year (because of weather) in two weeks. Halloween is your last chance this year. October 30th, actually.
Bill
Thanks Bill. Do you know if they do the $50 tour all year round? I will be visiting my mom who lives about 1.5 hrs from Hethel, so day or time is not important.

Alan

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thread of the year

Like a good book I couldn't put it down. I particularly loved the OO7 antics on the line. The Brit's didn't know we have are own OO angents. Now it's time agent Bill GIVE US THE COLOR!:D

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Great write up, thanks.... Sounds like a lot what I did recently at the Skip Barber course, only a thousand times better because it is in the elise........A must do when the weather gets nicer again.....

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
great write up, Bill. I will make plans for the spring!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks this is a great writeup, so much detailed information ! Nice, nice job ! :clap: :bow:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Great story...makes me want to go to the U.K. right freaking now :D :cool: :) :clap: :bow:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm gonna have to spend some British Airways frequent flyer miles and head over there in April when it is warm again.

My poor wife--first the Elise, and now her Italian vacation just got changed to Hethel!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for such positive feedback! I was worried I was going to have to put a flame suit on for making such a long post.

Here's a little something more for you:
The very, very last thing done to the car, just before it is wheeled out to the parking area for shipping is the decals. You may have noticed that on the Fed Elise, there's an "e" on the back window behind the driver's head. I thought that this "e" stood for "Elise". Nope.
As we were standing there at the very end of the tour, I saw this guy walk up to an Elise about 20 feet away. He had a funny looking block of wood, with duct tape and cloth wrapped around parts of it. And it had a knubby little handle too. One side of the thing is curved, and he places the curved part of the wood right where the glass in the left door meets the "B" pillar. It fits snug in there like a puzzle. The other half of this wood overlaps the car panel and has a right angle cut out of it. He takes the "e" decal, lines it up in the right angle space, sticks it on, rubs it twice with his fingers, and voila, the car is DONE!
I left the group and walked over and asked him why the Fed Elise gets that sticker on the back window and the Euro spec cars get it on the side of the car. He said "I don't know. That's a really good question......My guess is that Americans don't much care about a Queen's Award, so we put it in a more discriminate place for them I guess."
"Queen's Award"???
He then tells me that the "e" doesn't stand for "Elise" but is the symbol for the Queen's Award for Enterprise.
This was awarded to Lotus in 2002. Many of you probably knew this, but I was clueless. Check out this site and you'll see Group Lotus listed, and the top left of the page has the symbol on our decals!
http://www.queensawards.org.uk/business/Winners/2002.html

·
Registered
140 Posts
21 - 40 of 71 Posts