The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to sleep lately. It's kind of frustrating, because my work is suffering for it. Nevertheless, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you sleep only 4 hours a night :)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
transio said:
I haven't been able to sleep lately. It's kind of frustrating, because my work is suffering for it. Nevertheless, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you sleep only 4 hours a night :)
Try internship/residency :D, insomnia becomes a benefit not pathology. Sleeping is overrated anyway.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Re: Re: Insomnia

babak said:
Try internship/residency :D, insomnia becomes a benefit not pathology. Sleeping is overrated anyway.
That's right... you'll get plenty of sleep when you're dead. ;)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by transio
Nevertheless, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you sleep only 4 hours a night
you can accomplish absolutely nothing. I had a huge problem getting up in the morning. I would be late to everything. I thought I was the only one. I recently learned that its not true. Most college kids have problems getting up and staying up. In fact the problem is so bad that Duke University did away with 8am classes. No one would register for them! LOL the bulk of the enrollments were between 10am and 2pm. On top of that they're encouraging students to sleep earlier and so forth.

I don't know how but the past month, I've been able to get up in the morning when I'd like to and stay awake without drinking coffee. Pretty strange. Sleep a little sooner get up earlier refreshed and you'd be able to get more done efficiently.

what i'm trying to say is GET SOME SLEEP, STEVE! :D
Ara

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's impossible to sleep when you have 1000 ideas running through your head.

I know why I'm insomniatic lately - it's because I haven't been going to TKD class for the last few weeks. Physical exertion really helps you sleep soundly.

I'm not complaining, though. I'm a night-owl. I get more done after 8pm than most people do all day. Last night, for instance, I made a clay model of the car I'm gonna build. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'll take movie trivia for $100

transio said:
Last night, for instance, I made a clay model of the car I'm gonna build. :)
Careful Steve; next step is mashed potatoes...:D

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Sleeping is a waste of time.

I get about 6-10 hours in an average week... I've found caffeine to be a great replacement for sleep :D

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I get up at 6AM, take a 1/2 hour nap at lunch, and another 1/2 hour nap when I get home, and then can stay up to 2 in the morning if I have something to do, and get by on 4 hours sleep at night. On weekends I sleep until about 10 and go to sleep about 12.

I had really bad anxiety attacks after my father died unexpectedly so my doctor gave me some medicine to relax me. I got pissed at myself for having to take the medicine and stopped taking it after a few months, because I didnt feel mentalty alert, and was tired all the time but I still have some pills left. About once or twice a month I take about 1/4 of a pill if I cant sleep or have too much on my mind. I stay awake for an hour until it kicks in and then it knocks me out. I dont advocate taking drugs because some people get addicted to them, but I am fortunate that I have strong enough will power to not take stuff if I dont need it.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Sleeping is when your body repairs itself so if you run on little sleep it will break down the system and eventually affect your immunity and you will be succeptible to illnesses that normally wouldn't be able to touch you.

To stop your mind, learn and apply self hypnosis or another distraction. Don't drink coffee after lunch, or it can put you in a vicious cycle of up all night after storming through your brain all day. Give yourself, if possible more time preparing for bed and not just jump in and there you are, you and your thoughts without the effects of slow down time. Try to read a really dry piece of reading material such as Philosophy (hehe), in bed. You usually can't stop yourself from racing thoughts of what you got to do tomorrow or soon, the more you try to force sleep, the harder it gets. Try reverse psychology on yourself, lie down and tell yourself that you are not allowed to go to sleep, force your mind to make lists, make up dreams, it can be like a stubborn child and do the opposite. :)

Drink milk before bed.

zOOmz ORDERS you to stay awake!! You can not refuse!!!

That ought to do it.. *laughs*

oh. And avoid reading forums after dark.. They are evil... :p

zzzzzzz

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zOOmy,

I don't actually have a problem sleeping once I'm in bed. I have mastered meditation well enough, and can fall asleep within 3 minutes of shutting off the lights.

My problem is that I don't go to bed. I stay up all night working on stuff (or posting to forums). I don't know if you'd call that insomnia, but the result is the same!

Anyhow, it's another late night working on miscellaneous projects.

:)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
nothing is more important then geting a good night's sleep as zOOmz said. I like to work at night also but I just tell myself to stop everything and get some rest. One of my friends can sleep 2-4 hours a day and he's fine. I don't know how the hell he does it. I used to be like that when I was in high school, but now it's impossible.

originally posted by zOOmz
Don't drink coffee after lunch, or it can put you in a vicious cycle of up all night after storming through your brain all day.
I HAVE to drink coffee after lunch otherwise I fall asleep at my desk at work. LOL I wish i could, but then I wouldn't be able to buy the Elise. I drink a tall, vanilla, all-ice, 1 sugar-in-the-raw americano from Starbucks. It's cheap and a pretty strong drink and it wears off by evening so I'm tired by the time I go to sleep. I don't drink coffee in the morning when I get at least 6 hours of sleep.
Ara

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I am a connoisseur of derailed sleep.

Pop an Ambien, it'll put your ass out. No hangover effect.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Off-topic slightly, but I really like quirky little films, some of which deal with sleep or the lack thereof: Since you're not sleeping anyway, you might want to check out a movie called "Light Sleeper", with William Dafoe and Susan Sarandon, pretty good I thought. Also of course there is Lost in Translation, which I really liked (mmmm, Scarlett Johansen !) And I thought Bill Murray was really good too.

And of course there's always Taxi Driver - Travis Bickle had a hard time getting to sleep.....

Cheers, Mike G.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm... there was this one movie about a guy who couldn't sleep... I can't remember the name of it... it was with Robert Deniro, and he was in Alaska, and he couldn't sleep cause it was always light out. Damn, what was that movie called again? :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I thought the movie starred Maria Mathiesen and Stellan Skarsgård and was directed by Erik Skjoldbjærg?

:)

·
Registered
971 Posts
transio said:
Hmm... there was this one movie about a guy who couldn't sleep... I can't remember the name of it... it was with Robert Deniro, and he was in Alaska, and he couldn't sleep cause it was always light out. Damn, what was that movie called again? :D
Yea, it is getting that way here now, in another week we won't see anything darker than civil twilight until August. But I've lived here long enough to be able to sleep right through it with the curtains open.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Steve, just learn to relax. It's ok if you dont get everything done in one day!

I used to be the same way...4 hour sleeper every night, just to do all the things that I wanted to do in the day. I always thought that sleep was overrated.

Then one time I was under so much stress that I couldnt sleep. Even if I wanted to get that 4 hours, it was impossible. This went on for more than a month. I was a walking zombie! My days were painful because I was never really alert, which made it even harder to focus on the things I needed to do. After a while, my whole body would hurt, like zooms said, because I wasnt getting the sleep that my body needed to repair itself. After several weeks of this, it became almost impossible to eat, as the stress of not sleeping, and the constant pain I was feeling made my stomach hurt. So I either couldnt eat, or would occasionally throw up what I ate.

So now I wasnt getting the nutrition nor the sleep that I needed to function, which was a stress on top of the stress that I was already feeling. All I wanted was some sleep. And its this vicious cycle...the more I lacked sleep, the more I stressed about it, keeping me awake. Aaaaaaaa.

Finally, I couldnt take it anymore. So I went to a doctor who insisted that I seek therapy. I yelled at the doctor and told her I would be fine if I could just get some damn sleep, and if she could prescribe to me the strongest sleeping pills available.

On sleeping pills, I was lucky to get 2 hours of sleep! Wow...stress level was still too high. So I finally figured out what I needed to do...take a vacation!

So I left town. Just got in the car and drove! First night out, I slept 14 hours, in a tent with a sleeping bag and pad, w/o sleeping pills! That day, when I woke up, was probably one of the best feeling days of my life!

So now, I appreciate sleep! I dont overstress myself or my body by overextending myself, and I insist on 6 hours minimum of sleep. And now I do what I used to never do in the past, take breaks! Relax! Find something mindless and enjoyable to do, completely seperate from what I have to do!

So Steve, take a break! It may make you a more pleasant person, which all of us would appreciate ;)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by Modern Wedgie
So now, I appreciate sleep! I dont overstress myself or my body by overextending myself, and I insist on 6 hours minimum of sleep. And now I do what I used to never do in the past, take breaks! Relax! Find something mindless and enjoyable to do, completely seperate from what I have to do!
Exactly! Follow these rules, Steve! Underrating sleep is a huge mistake as Lillie and I have written on this thread, but Lillie's situation was crazy. Glad to hear that you broke free from your cycle.

Ara

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Sleep replacement recipe:

Caffeinated water
2-4 vivarin, crushed up
Large amount of finely ground coffee

Put the crushed vivarin and coffee in the filter, the caffeinated water in the reservoir. Brew coffee, drink.

Repeat as necessary :D

I've been working 60-80 hour weeks on average for the past 4 years and I've only taken about a week of vacation time and 2 or 3 sick days. I'm pretty much constantly stressed out but I've noticed that going on vacation only stresses me out more and I end up spending the entire trip in the hotel's business services center or in the room on my laptop working anyway.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I used to work night shift when I was a wrapper mechanic, our night supervisor did this to get a good sleep.

When he first got home in the morning he'd get an iced tea glass (yes we have special tea glasses in GA about 16 oz) h'ed fill it about half way up with Jack Daniels and Ice. Said he never had a problem sleeping.
Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts