The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know our cars are prone to oil line failure and we have only seconds to shut the engine off so I was thinking of installing a superbright red LED somewhere on the binnacle that is linked to the oil pressure sensor because during the day the little red emblem in the cluster for low oil pressure may not be caught in time if it goes on. Anyone do this install or think it's a good idea?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I would be inclined to connect it to a buzzer instead. You are more likely to hear an audible queue than see a light. But I am old fashioned, if a critical even occurs, a sound should be made.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was actually discussing this the other day with another Elise owner while we were looking at his broken toe link. It should be possible to take a wire off to a relay and kick in a big idiot light some where. I have also looked at my cluster while driving and realised i will never see that stupid little light in time. It does worry me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem with a buzzer is that it would be on whenever the ignition switched was turned to on with the engine off and might get super annoying. I probably wouldn't want to listen to the buzzer each time I turned the engine on but I could live with a light flashing each time I turned the engine on.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
Would be much better to replace the oil line fittings (not the lines themselves) and be perfectly safe/secure.

It's not terribly hard or expensive and you won't risk a spin, accident, losing an engine, being stranded.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You could do it one of two ways.

1) wire relay trigger at the oil pressure sender in the engine bay
2) wire relay trigger at the physical trace (or led directly) on the PCB for the LED.

Just pointing out that there is no single wire going into the back of the cluster that runs the oil pressure light. It is part of the CAN frame.

Also for all the hassle involved you might be better off spending your time on just fixing the oil lines.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope that the recall will take effect soon, got the notice a month or so back in the mail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts