The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told if I want to go big power, with a super charger I will eventually need the 5 speed out of an MR2. How much of an issue is installation of this transmission? Is it basically a drop in and bolt up, or is it pretty convoluted?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
Hmm......why not just change the whole car ?

·
Back to the Future, again
6,154 Posts
Unless the inference is that the 5 speed is beefier and can handle the extra torque of the supercharger that the stock 6 speed can't... I don't see why... there are other upgrade parts if you want to beef up the stock 6 speed to handle the extra torque of the supercharger.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The E153 is really only recommended for really stupid amounts of power (I believe well over 400) and/or a race application. If you aren't hitting either of those, it probably isn't necessary - at least from what I have read on here.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
It is the luck of the draw (and some driving habits), some people cook their stock trannies while they are still NA, but for the people who race a lot with greater than 300 HP, the failure rate on the stock transmission is unacceptably high (ring gear, 3rd/4th gear failures). Ask FZust about his transmission experiences, ask him about other people he has raced with. This is why he upgraded to a track specific Quaife Sequential transmission. The E153 is the way to go on high HP builds, if the car will be driven on the street, as well as the track. I have been told when you are up in the 400HP range, you don't miss the 6th gear. Essentially 5th gear on the e153 maxes out at a similar point as 6th on the stock C64 transmission. It requires a kit to install the E153 (monkey wrench racing sells the kit), so no, it doesn't bolt right on without an adapter kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts