The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an adjustable DNA rear sway bar and new toe links on my 2008 Lotus Elise SC. I purchased the sway bar from Inokinetics. Installation required drilling a hole in the lower rear wishbones, but that wasn't hard at all. In fact, the entire installation was reasonably straight forward. I spent as much time doing a DIY alignment with fish wire, as I did on the installation of the toe links and rear sway bar.

I am really impressed with the added stability around corners. I have a pretty good setup with Racetech struts, Ultradisk rotors, and Monolite wheels, all of which lowered my un-sprung weight by about 5 to 6 pounds in each corner. I'm using 350 psi springs in the front and 500 psi springs in the rear, and they work really well with this sway bar. The sway bar was not cheap (something like $800) but it converts the toelink to double-sheer (if you don't already have the track pack option that comes with a brace for your toe links), and it gives me a whole lot more confidence on corners.

I'm not Speedracer. I'm just driving spiritedly on canyon roads (no tracking), and I'm not interested in drifting or sliding all over the place. For me, this rear sway bar was a really great addition. It would be an exaggeration to say it completely transformed the car all by itself. But between the swaybar and all the other suspension modifications I made, it is a very noticeable difference even for an amateur driver like me. Definitely worth the money and the time to install in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Looks good! are you considering one day adding the front DNA adjustable swaybar? I do like that these swaybars comes with guidelines for the settings.

·
Less is Better
2,566 Posts
Thanks for posting. Considering the front/rear spring rate is the same as what's set up for a street car without the rear bar, have you had a chance to see if the car is more apt to over-steer? I would think you'd want to lower the rear spring rate to offset the roll stiffness of the bar and help out the car's ride.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I would be interested to see if this would work for the factory suspension oem owner (that's me) that wants to autocross his Elise but wants the ability to tune it in the future. Seems like DNA says it plays well with the factory front bar and factory settings. I would be also purchasing the front to complete the set.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Be very careful with spirited driving. The back is going to come around hard under trail braking. With my experience, I'd say that the balance of this car is majorly altered at this point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts