The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics coming soon (tomorrow).

Took close to 4 hours to do between forgetting some tools and not realising we had to do some drilling (ran to the store etc). Would take somebody an hour and a half if they had all the tools. There is a write up somewhere about installing HID's that we used, but we managed to use a zip tie and use a slim ballast instead of drilling holes and using a large ballast. Cost me $90 bucks for high beams, low beams, parking lights and stealth bullbs. EXTREMELY CHEAP because I'm friends with the owner of Aftermarket Bulbs Shop and he hooked me up and helped me install them.

I'll have a small write up with pics soon - but he said he'd do a group buy, 10 people for $150 and you'll get a full HID setup... meaning high beams, low beams and parking lights. He even has the stealth bulbs that you put into the turn signals to get rid of the orange.

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
I don't recommend using HIDs for the high beams due to the time it takes for them to come up to temp. You lose the ability to flash them quickly or to light up a dark corner on short notice.

Can you describe how you are using HIDs in the parking lights?

$150 is a smoking deal for 3 sets of HIDs... these things are getting really inexpensive!

I've also been providing the community with authentic Stealth bulbs for quite some time now :up:

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is the write up, simple and too the point.

Step 1: Remove your wheel and remove the black plastic wheel cover liner thing in front of your front wheel. You need to do this to get to the headlight bolts. The black plastic piece is 3 screws.

Step 2: Once you have the black plastic wheel cover liner thing off, start unbolting the headlights plastic cover - it's another 3 bolts.

Step 3: Unclamp the headlight assembly, which should be 3 more bolts. Once you remove this, you can replace all of your lights with the HID's.

Step 4: Watch the movie You will have to drill into your elise and make a hole about the size of a 50 cent piece (just bigger than a quarter) in order for your HID plugs to fit through. Look carefully at the video to see where we drilled the hole - it's the best spot you can possibly do. We tried using the little black sticker holes that lotus gave us but they were in bad spots and wiring got too crowded and the lighting assembly ended up sitting on them.

We were worried about drilling into the fiberglass but we went to ace hardware and got a bit that drilled safely into fiberglass and it all worked out well!

Step 5: Put your wires through the hole, and hook up your lights and screw them on. Test out the lights first though!

Step 6: Now that everything is put back on you can now hook up the ballast as seen in these pictures:

Step 7: Now that your ballast is hooked up and secured, put the plastic wheel liner thing back in, put your wheel on and do the other side! Any questions, PM me or visit Aftermarket Bulbs Shop

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't recommend using HIDs for the high beams due to the time it takes for them to come up to temp. You lose the ability to flash them quickly or to light up a dark corner on short notice.

Can you describe how you are using HIDs in the parking lights?

$150 is a smoking deal for 3 sets of HIDs... these things are getting really inexpensive!

I've also been providing the community with authentic Stealth bulbs for quite some time now :up:
Hey there,

I'm Glenn's friend, Roger, who hooked him up with the HID's for the lowbeams and everything else:)

You are completely right. We didn't use HID's for the high-beam or the parking light:) Glenn must have gotten a little confused there. I think he meant that all the bulbs MATCH the low-beam HID's.

The low-beams were H1 HID's with a slim ballast as I already anticipated little room to work with. About $150

The high-beams were H7 for which we used MTEC Cosmos Blue Halogen bulbs as they match the HID's best. About $35

The Parking light was a W5W Xenonwhite bulb that is white matching the HID's as well. About $15

Lastly, we switched the turn signals out to stealth/chrome bulbs which are PY21W aka. BAU15S bulbs. About $20 -> Support your fellow Lotus member "BANE" who sells these. $25 shipped is a good deal!

Next on the list are LED license plate bulbs which should be in pretty soon. I imagine by the end of the weekend. About $35

Also, HID's are not getting inexpensive unless you get chinese manufactured and poorly designed ones:) I generally cater to BMW's and they need the highest quality ballasts so they don't throw an error in the LCU (Lighting Control Unit). The HID's I carry are German engineered and not some cheap China product.

Glenn also forgot to mention that he's buying me drinks and dinner at that price and I'm not talking Burger King! lol So he might have been better off just paying retail price haha I actually took a hit on that setup since I didn't think about transportation and import costs but it's also a write-off for R&D ;) Retail all the parts together would run about $220 excluding the LED License Plate bulbs.

If anyone has questions regarding the actual install feel free to PM me here or email me at [email protected]

Hope the writeup helped some of you guys out:)

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey there,

I'm Glenn's friend, Roger, who hooked him up with the HID's for the lowbeams and everything else:)

You are completely right. We didn't use HID's for the high-beam or the parking light:) Glenn must have gotten a little confused there. I think he meant that all the bulbs MATCH the low-beam HID's.

The low-beams were H1 HID's with a slim ballast as I already anticipated little room to work with. About $150

The high-beams were H7 for which we used MTEC Cosmos Blue Halogen bulbs as they match the HID's best. About $35

The Parking light was a W5W Xenonwhite bulb that is white matching the HID's as well. About $15

Lastly, we switched the turn signals out to stealth/chrome bulbs which are PY21W aka. BAU15S bulbs. About $20

Next on the list are LED license plate bulbs which should be in pretty soon. I imagine by the end of the weekend. About $35

Also, HID's are not getting inexpensive unless you get chinese manufactured and poorly designed ones:) I generally cater to BMW's and they need the highest quality ballasts so they don't throw an error in the LCU (Lighting Control Unit). The HID's I carry are German engineered and not some cheap China product.

Glenn also forgot to mention that he's buying me drinks and dinner at that price and I'm not talking Burger King! lol So he might have been better off just paying retail price haha I actually took a hit on that setup since I didn't think about transportation and import costs. Retail all the parts together would run about $220 excluding the LED License Plate bulbs.

If anyone has questions regarding the actual install feel free to PM me here or email me at [email protected]

Hope the writeup helped some of you guys out:)

That sums it up :)

See how incorrect and ignorant I sound guys? I'm not good with electronics and wattage and stuff. haha. Roger, any place you want to eat - lemme know :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts