The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much gnashing of teeth and a couple of e-mails to the support person, I have successfully installed my new Garw Dash unit into my 2005 Elise. If you are planning to do this, here are a few things to watch out for:

1. Upload the latest SW (v4.48 at the present). You cannot set the odometer until you do this.
2. Make sure your USB drive is formatted FAT - otherwise the dash unit will not see it.
3. The obscure instruction on the odometer set page "ODOMETER CORRECTION IN KM UNITS" means you have to enter your odometer setting in KM. It will convert to miles on the display if that is how you have the display set up.
4. If you want to change the start-up logo, you can only use the filenames "bootlogo.png" or "logo.png".
5. There is no clear indication on the display option page which display is used on startup. Simplest is to just allow one display - but this sort of defeats one of the features of the unit. Otherwise it is something of a trial and error process. I think it is the one on the furthest right in the display page. I think. Still working on this.
6. Perhaps not so obvious to me but... the communications dongle is a tiny WiFi unit, not Bluetooth. Also, contact the company for the password if you did not get it with your unit.
7. The iPhone app is a little buggy. Sometimes the battery percentage works and some times not. I still haven't figured what the gas pump icon is about or why it reads 144%. If the app is not responding, restart the app.
8. One more. There is a YouTube video out there about how to use the display unit's SW. This is out of date and is not correct for SW version 4.x. I haven't found a similar guide for version 4.x and, as far as I know, there is no user manual available. Keep in mind that the SW user interface is not terribly intuitive. You will need to tinker with it a while to figure out what the SW UI designer was thinking.

For earlier Elises, you have to splice three wires. I had no problem, but it is something of a pain. The car's stock harness has these three wires connect to the factory unit with a separate plug. I read that for units sold after March 2020, you no longer have to do this splice. I assume this means that the display's wire harness comes with an additional receptacle attached that the stock plug plugs into. Better late than never I guess.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
259 Posts
Thanks for the write up, always nice to have someone troubleshoot them before you have to install it. I just watched a Install video on youtube of this and it looks pretty straight forward, although they always make it look easy and never mention the things you did. When you mentioned splicing wires I thought oh what a pain, im going to have to track these wires down...but they were right there connected to the old unit and very accessible, no issue there at all.

Reactions: DAaaMan64

·
purveyor of lightness
4,154 Posts
I just installed 4.48 and the interface has completely changed.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to select the screens I previously had... I'm stuck on the screen below (and my reverse camera when I shift into reverse).

It's like an insane Nintendo game of up/down/up/down/left/right... died again.... repeat.

One mode selects HOW many screens there are and one mode BROWSES the available screens but I cannot figure out HOW to pick the ones I want... argh!

I'll give it another go later this evening after a couple drams of Scotch to see if that helps ?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Upload the latest SW (v4.48 at the present). You cannot set the odometer until you do this.
That feature has always been there.
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to select the screens I previously had
There was a note in another thread, from Alec, that says v4.45 (and I assume v4.48) has removed a couple of the race screens (hopefully only temporarily).

From memory, you get to the screen that lists, vertically, the list of available screens. If you scroll down and highlight one, you can then scroll right/left to change it to a different one. The top one is the default when you start up.

Cheers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Does anyone have a bootlogo.png file that you find interesting? Attached is the one I am using. I would like one (without background) of the yellow logo but haven't found one at 800 x 480.

BTW: still haven't figured out how to objectively select the startup dash screen other than by trial and error. Best way I found was to select the desired number of screens and assign them as you with and then restart start the unit. Note which one comes up on startup. Then go back into the screen config and change the one that came up on startup to the screen you want. And then change the others as you wish. There is probably some logic as to which one of the screens is default but it is not obvious to me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
still haven't figured out how to objectively select the startup dash screen other than by trial and error
Unless the 4.45/4.48 update broke it, it's the screen in position 1 on the settings page 3.

Cheers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i tried to install mine tonite, mine is a 2011 lotus. i only have one blue connect on the back of the oem cluster.

i assume i dont need to splice any wires. i plug the harness on the oem blue connector and back of the Garw IC7, nothing happened??? i have no clue why mine is not powered up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts